Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

Not sure if this is the right thread but... I am really looking forward to the new Indiana Jones Movie!

Yes, this thread is as good a place as any to be sarcastic, I suppose...

Went to see the much-hyped No Country for Old Men last night. The first 3/4 was excellent, very entertaining, but the last part was frankly a disappointment. One major bit of plot inexplicably takes place off screen, and from that moment on they kinda lost me. Also, despite numerous opportunities to do so, at no point did any of the characters say, "This here's No Country for Old Men".

8/10.

Saw it on Saturday. Very downbeat I thought. It was interesting that nothing was tied up and the film just....finished!

Minimal soundtrack was a bonus too. I was expecting 'No Country for Old Men' to be said too, but it never happened...

Plaudits for Bardem as the killer are justified, but I thought Josh Brolin was excellent too.

I'm saying too a lot, too.... :rolleyes:

I just saw "Grandma's Boy" and thought it was pretty funny.

I watched 'Control' yesterday, about Ian Curtis of Joy Division - it was quite good, I especially liked Samantha Morton. And of course some good music in it too.

We rented 'Hoax' from the local shop tonight but when Mrs MPFC opened the box there was no DVD in it!

Hadn't got that lot in the shop figured for supreme ironists, mebbe underestimated them.

"Jeremiah Johnson" (1972) Directed by Sydney Pollack - I'm trying to learn more about the work of my DDP candidates.

Anyway, the film is set in the 1850s, Robert Redford plays the eponymous hero. He's the ultimate in countryside lovers, like a hardcore Phil Drabble if you will, who goes in to the wilderness as a young man, unfrightened by the "frontier horror stories" he has heard. His motivation for leaving the comforts of civilization is never made clear (it passed me by, anyway), but he heads off in to the Rocky Mountains in search of tranquility. Instead he ends up at war with the Crow Indian nation. Braves are sent one at a time to kill him. The repeated near lethal encounters batter him psychologically and physically. Towards the end of the film a fellow mountain main suggests he should leave The Rockies and move back to a town. "I've been to a town" he replies, as if there is no further explanation necessary. Eventually the Crow Indians decide they're never going to kill Robert Redford and make peace. And there he presumably lives happily for ever after.

Guest Guest
"Jeremiah Johnson" (1972) Directed by Sydney Pollack - I'm trying to learn more about the work of my DDP candidates.

Anyway, the film is set in the 1850s, Robert Redford plays the eponymous hero. He's the ultimate in countryside lovers, like a hardcore Phil Drabble if you will, who goes in to the wilderness as a young man, unfrightened by the "frontier horror stories" he has heard. His motivation for leaving the comforts of civilization is never made clear (it passed me by, anyway), but he heads off in to the Rocky Mountains in search of tranquility. Instead he ends up at war with the Crow Indian nation. Braves are sent one at a time to kill him. The repeated near lethal encounters batter him psychologically and physically. Towards the end of the film a fellow mountain main suggests he should leave The Rockies and move back to a town. "I've been to a town" he replies, as if there is no further explanation necessary. Eventually the Crow Indians decide they're never going to kill Robert Redford and make peace. And there he presumably lives happily for ever after.

Does Steve Fossett make a guest appearance with that smug git from the programme about a father and son who are both GPs ... Latimmer or something?

And there he presumably lives happily for ever after.

Indeed, if I recall it correctly the final line of the movie, sung over a close up shot of Redford looking out over the snowy wilderness is: 'And some folks say, he's up there still.'

Guest Guest
I'm trying to learn more about the work of my DDP candidates.

Best of luck with that Jeff Healey Live at Montreux album, mate.

Just seen "There will be blood." Excellent film, three hours long, Day Lewis has his best actor Oscar in the bag. The scene at the end is the Big Lebowsky meets the Godfather. I will say no more.

Just seen "There will be blood." Excellent film, three hours long, Day Lewis has his best actor Oscar in the bag. The scene at the end is the Big Lebowsky meets the Godfather. I will say no more.

Agreed, although maybe more The Untouchables than Godfather. I love a happy ending.

Guest Guest
Went to see the much-hyped No Country for Old Men last night. The first 3/4 was excellent, very entertaining, but the last part was frankly a disappointment. One major bit of plot inexplicably takes place off screen, and from that moment on they kinda lost me. Also, despite numerous opportunities to do so, at no point did any of the characters say, "This here's No Country for Old Men".

8/10.

Saw it on Saturday. Very downbeat I thought. It was interesting that nothing was tied up and the film just....finished!

Minimal soundtrack was a bonus too. I was expecting 'No Country for Old Men' to be said too, but it never happened...

Plaudits for Bardem as the killer are justified, but I thought Josh Brolin was excellent too.

I'm saying too a lot, too.... :rolleyes:

This here's some country for multiple Oscars. I expect Javier visited the voters beforehand, armed with a cattlegun and a coin.

Saw Cloverfield last night. Excellent popcorn flick - Blair Witch meets Godzilla on 9/11. There were a few times when it's doubtful that the guy would have kept the camera rolling, or been allowed to do so, but given a giant mystery monster was trashing Manhattan one's disbelief was already well suspended at that point.

7 1/2 out of 10.

We watched Run Fatboy Run on Saturday, which was quite funny. I like Simon Pegg.

Saw Michael Clayton tonight, very good. But why did Tom Wilkinson buy all that bread?

I saw Untraceable this afternoon.......somewhat uncomfortable for anyone who spends more time than they should on-line...

Just finished watching cloverfield. What an awful film. Save your money. There is a monster but its shot mostly in the dark, terrible acting, and they do alot of running even though theres nothing chasing them.

The Plague Dogs - A story of two hounds who escape from a laboratory. Written by Richard Adams and adapted to film by the same team who created Watership Down.

A friend said I wouldn't be able to watch it without getting upset. He was right :rip::(:(

If anyone else wants to take up the challenge, you can see the whole uncut version on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PlagueDogs

A friend said I wouldn't be able to watch it without getting upset. They were right :rip::(:(

This question is optional, but have you ever started crying in a movie theater? I really think getting so emotional in public over a film is ridiculous. It's obvious to everyone that there is always that group of people "Making outrageous sounds which are absolutely uncalled for" but without being very opinionated, crying out loud like somebody stole your tricycle makes you look like a real idiot. I saw a guy about fifty sobbing over a film recently and since he felt so free to express his emotions, I started laughing out loud uncontrollably.

Guest Hmm

A guy crying over an emotional film or a loon sat laughing at him. I think the latter looks more idiotic.

A guy crying over an emotional film or a loon sat laughing at him. I think the latter looks more idiotic.

It was mature of me, I know.

But if others feel so unleashed to express their deepest emotions so everyone can hear them, I'll express mine. It's just that simple.

Anyway, what are the highest rated films so far this year? I heard the remake of Indiana Jones wasn't that bad.

Hé, Biloute ! This is mine, Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis.

There maybe an English version in the offing, probably won't be as good as it really does rely on stereotypes of a particular country. Or maybe I just think that as I can assimilate to both Belgium and South France and see the differences now.

Sorry to be so low brow, but I really enjoyed the recent release of Iron Man. A jolly good effort, I thought.

Saw the Day of the Jackal on a plane the other day. The original, not the rubbish version with Bruce Willis. One of those "they don't make them like that any more" efforts, and I would contend perhaps the best and most faithful cinematic adaptation of a novel ever.