Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

One of those "they don't make them like that any more"

As I was watching one of the Marx films once, I had realized the performance of film had lost it's face to special effects - or something. Every decade of film is a little different and must be analyzed differently. Today I think film might be too ordinary. I don't know what it is. Not as much expression but more of a script?

As I was watching one of the Marx films once, I had realized the performance of film had lost it's face to special effects - or something. Every decade of film is a little different and must be analyzed differently. Today I think film might be too ordinary. I don't know what it is. Not as much expression but more of a script?

I'd just get used to a changing audience demographic. Kids today seem more interested with immediacy, rather than let a subtle plot develop. CGI has increasingly been included to keep a visual momentum - to maintain their interest. Generally, their parents would be born in the late-60s onwards.

I'm also disappointed with those pathetic "best 100 films of the century (ie 20th). It comes as absolutely no surprise that the majority of voters are texting in - and, apart from old classics, the top films are within "yoot" memory.

Unforunately, apart from those that transcend time. films can only be fully enjoyed when they are contemporary. It's the nature of things that all the best qualities of a film period/genre are re-cycled and "improved", by adding colour, throwing more money at it or making the story more contemporaneous. I have to say that there are great films that stand apart from this accusation.

(Shhhh!.....I think this a rant, but I might have got away with it.)

Unfortunately, apart from those that transcend time, films can only be fully enjoyed when they are contemporary. It's the nature of things that all the best qualities of a film period/genre are re-cycled and "improved", by adding colour, throwing more money at it, or making the story more contemporaneous. I have to say that there are great films that stand apart from this accusation.

Not quite. Quite a lot of films stand apart. I can think of very few remakes that are an improvement on the original.

These originals are all better than the remakes: All Quiet on the Western Front, The Lady Killers, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The 39 Steps (two, both worse than the first), Brief Encounter, Cape fear, Cheaper by the Dozen, Get Carter, The Haunting, The Day of the Jackal, The Shining, The Stepford Wives and many more.

I agree (for once) with Banshees, CGI has gone too far. What about good old drama? And musicals. What happened to musicals? Why doesn't anyone make anything like the Sound of Music anymore?

Neither do I agree that a film can only be enjoyed when it is contemporary. I love old films - all the above, any of the old Jimmy Cagney or Humphrey Bogart films, anything with Jimmy Stewart or Bop Hope or John Wayne.

I am sick to death of constant re-runs of 1990s and later films when so many great films were made in the 30s, 50s, 60s and 70s.

There's a big difference in basing a film like the Big Lebowsky loosely on the Big Sleep and a straight remake. But to say that colour, money etc make a better film, I can't agree, or is that what you were saying too Terminator? I absolutely agree that these "best of" polls are a load of shite with token mentions of Casablanca and Citizen Kane just because they're old films that the younger (only) voters have heard of. Er... this too appears to have become a rant. Sorry.

Speaking of 'they don't make them any more,' did anyone else see that BBC 4 documentary 'Truly, Madly, Cheaply.' More brainless British b-movies than I knew were possible. I'm determined to see a few of those cheesy classics - like 'Psychomania' - right through.

I'd definitely watch Psychomania, Mary. Possibly the best-behaved zombie bikers you could ever imagine. Considering it was shot after Altamont, they do liitle more than rev their bikes rather loudly near old ladies.

Unfortunately, apart from those that transcend time, films can only be fully enjoyed when they are contemporary. It's the nature of things that all the best qualities of a film period/genre are re-cycled and "improved", by adding colour, throwing more money at it, or making the story more contemporaneous. I have to say that there are great films that stand apart from this accusation.

Not quite. Quite a lot of films stand apart. I can think of very few remakes that are an improvement on the original.

These originals are all better than the remakes: All Quiet on the Western Front, The Lady Killers, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The 39 Steps (two, both worse than the first), Brief Encounter, Cape fear, Cheaper by the Dozen, Get Carter, The Haunting, The Day of the Jackal, The Shining, The Stepford Wives and many more.

I agree (for once) with Banshees, CGI has gone too far. What about good old drama? And musicals. What happened to musicals? Why doesn't anyone make anything like the Sound of Music anymore?

Neither do I agree that a film can only be enjoyed when it is contemporary. I love old films - all the above, any of the old Jimmy Cagney or Humphrey Bogart films, anything with Jimmy Stewart or Bop Hope or John Wayne.

I am sick to death of constant re-runs of 1990s and later films when so many great films were made in the 30s, 50s, 60s and 70s.

There's a big difference in basing a film like the Big Lebowsky loosely on the Big Sleep and a straight remake. But to say that colour, money etc make a better film, I can't agree, or is that what you were saying too Terminator? I absolutely agree that these "best of" polls are a load of shite with token mentions of Casablanca and Citizen Kane just because they're old films that the younger (only) voters have heard of. Er... this too appears to have become a rant. Sorry.

You are so right Sir!

One of my all time favourite films is "Bad Day at Black Rock"

You are watching some greats at work, Tracy, Borgnine, Ryan etc.

Am I really going to wet myself at the performance of George Clooney, by comparison?

Mildred Pierce, Public Enemy, Giant, you could list forever.

I confess, I am a sado. Everytime one of these comes onto the TV ( thanks TCM) Im sitting there glued.

I can probably count the follicles on Fred Kites head, Ive seen that film so many times.

There are the odd few "moderns" that I love but they are few and far between.

Regards

A more cultured and mellow LFN.

Saw Indiana Jones and the Steaming Heap of Sh*t tonight. It certainly lived up to its title. Another franchise killed, well done Mr. Lucas.

Saw Indiana Jones and the Steaming Heap of Sh*t tonight. It certainly lived up to its title. Another franchise killed, well done Mr. Lucas.

To me, it was a franchise that simply ran out of ideas (or couldn't be bothered), but thought there was enough pulling power left in Harrison Ford to prepare the hand-over to "Junior". It was appalling.

Unless they create an original storyline, I reckon it's finished. (In my view, this offering has made their decision a little easier.)

Disappointed.....as you may have guessed.

On the strength of that B-movie documentary on BBC 4 I've just ordered this Frank Randle movie on DVD. I'll let you know.

To me, it was a franchise that simply ran out of ideas (or couldn't be bothered), but thought there was enough pulling power left in Harrison Ford to prepare the hand-over to "Junior". It was appalling.

Unless they create an original storyline, I reckon it's finished. (In my view, this offering has made their decision a little easier.)

Disappointed.....as you may have guessed.

I didn't dislike it as much as you two seem to have, but it was certainly lacking the charm of the first three. A lot of cheesy and/or predictable moments and it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be as a film really. Definitely should have stopped at Last Crusade. Die Hard should have stopped at three as well, and I've heard similar stories about the newest additions to the Rambo and Rocky franchises.

I just saw "Get Smart" which didn't actually make me feel intelliegent. The base of the film was to basically make fun of James Bond, but Steve Carrol usually gives you a couple laughs. The Great Khali "Dalip Singh Rana" who is a professional wrestler "listed at 7'3" was pretty funny. Probably the funniest charecter in the whole film. I wouldn't give it a very high rating but "it was one of those summer comedies" so rating it really isn't neccesary. There is nothing like going to see a film when you need to waste some time.

Saw 30 days of night, last night. As horrors go, it was a good one. Not too much computer generation, reasonable acting and a decent concept, giving a fresh twist to a vampire movie.

Personally, I'm fed up with over the top computer generation in films. When I was young, I went to see Jurrasic Park at the cinema and thought the effects were amazing. As time has gone on, you are hard pressed to find a film (usually of particular genres), that does not involve computer generation. I think it may be time to revert back to good old fashioned special effects. No, I'm not talking the rubbersuited monsters of Star Trek and the classics from Dr. Who (as brilliant as they were at the time!) Examples I can think of off hand are An American Werewolf in London (the scene were he changes), Jaws (the first one), Day of the dead (the death scenes). You can probably think of more yourselves........

Computer generation has its place, its certainly helped expand the possibilities in Dr Who, amongst other shows, and classic films have been produced thanks to the technology but lets have it in equal measures and see some realism in film again!

david-naughton-american-werewolf-1981.jpg

Just watched The Bank Job, though why I'm posting this on seen any GOOD films lately beats me. Desperate IMHO, my informed analysis being that Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais thought they'd written an ironic and self-consciously cheesy script and everyone else was under the illusion they were trying to remake The Sweeny. Best avoided.

My Frank Randle DVD has just arrived though :)

Updated to say, me and the young 'un howled with laughter at Frank Randle. Transparent alcholic shuffling around on painfully cheap sets with nary a thought for the plot-line and most gags obviously nicked from his stage show. Truly, they don't make 'em like that any more.

Saw it for the first time a while back but watched it again last night. Walk the Line - The Johnny Cash story. Brilliant.

Went to see Journey to The Center (sic) of the Earth. If you get a chance to take kids, ENSURE you catch the 3D version. I bought tickets online expecting the 3D version,but found it was 2D. It was more disappointing when so many of the "shock" moments were filmed for the third dimension.

Last night I was in a sneak preview of "Son of Rambow". An excellent film which features both Eric Sykes and Anna Wing. Both playing geriatrics, Sykes had a few lines, Wing didn't. All dubbed into German of course, they don't hold with subtitles here.

Anyway, I daresay it was released in Britain ages ago, but it's a bloody good laugh and well worth a look.

Myself and the Voice of Young Maryport enjoyed Trainspotting last week, way better - and more grimly funny - than I remember. Obviously, looking back, they hit pay-dirt with the cast, given how well a slew of the then largely unknown cast have done since.

Mrs MPFC was very keen on Mike Leigh's 'Happy Go Lucky' on DVD for tonight. Well, she was keen on it. I'll let yers know.

Didn't rate Happy Go Lucky that much though Sally Hawkins' central performance was superb, basically too much nuance and observation, not enough plot IMHO.

I took one of my younglings to see WALL-E yesterday. It quickly overtook Cars as his favourite animated movie.

I thought it was pretty good too, although don't expect any existential angst or complex neo-political subtext.

Hi, I'm a PC. I'm a Mac. LOL.

walle-eve1.jpg

I'd like to know what others think of the latest Coen brothers film, Burn After Reading. I was disappointed although it was still much better than most of the sh*t being churned out just now. They can pull in a great acting line up and I love Frances McDormand but I thought the characterisation was weak. I also thought it was mistake to write parts for specific actors. Brad Pitt's character, while amusing, is pretty one-dimensional and very similar to his 12 Monkeys yes-I'm-dippy character.

The plot is basically farce - nothing wrong with that but you can't get in to the characters in the way that you could with the Big Lebowsky (still my all time favourite film) or in Fargo (McDormand's best performance for me).

If anyone has seen it can they tell me what Clooney is doing with that purple wedge-shaped cushion? What's that all about? Also I don't think his self-shagging machine would actually work very well although I accept that's part of the farce.

It might work better from a second watching as BL did (and a third, fourth etc).

Oh, and another thing in reference to the note elsewhere about James Garner - I thought I saw him in the shot of the Princeton reunion and wondered if Richard Dreyfuss had a cameo there also. Maybe not.

Just seen In Bruges, debut full-length feature for Martin McDonagh which didn't get much of a run on release in February. It's much better than Burn After Reading and, what's more, it's all set in Belgium which has to be a bonus.

Some good exchanges like this one:

Ray: Bruges is a shithole.

Ken: Bruges is not a shithole.

Ray: Bruges is a shithole.

Ken: Ray, we only just got off the f*****g train! Could we reserve judgement on Bruges until we've seen the f*****g place?

Also a Belgian joke:

Ray: Don't know any Belgium jokes, and if I did I think I'd have the good sense not to...hang on. Is Belgium with all those child abuse murders lately? I do know a Belgium joke. What's Belgium famous for? Chocolates and child abuse, and they only invented the chocolates to get to the kids.

Also quite a lot of dwarf scenes and discussions:

Ray: A lot of midgets tend to kill themselves. The disproportionate, I meant. Herv Villechaize offed on Fantasy Island. I think somebody offed on Time Bandits. I suppose they must get really sad about like being really little and that people looking at them, laughing at them, calling them names. You know, short arse. There's another famous midget. I miss him but I can't remember. It's not the R2D2 man; no, he's still going. I hope your midget doesn't kill himself. Your dream sequence will be f**ked.

Chlo: He doesn't like being called a midget. He prefers dwarf.

Ray: This is exactly my point! People going around calling you a midget when you want to be called a dwarf. Of course you're going to blow your head off.

Brilliant script, great location and deliberate shades of Don't Look Now in a tight plot. Fine performances from Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. Recommended.

I haven't seen it lately, although it will no doubt pop up on one of Sky's innumerable channels tomorrow evening, but John Carpenter's Halloween remains one of the great horror films. Awesomely evil theme tune.

Now to lose any credibility I might have had, I watched Mamma Mia! tonight, completely cheesy and daft, with little of a storyline, but it was a real feelgood movie, had me laughing a few times and of course singing along with the very badly sung Abba songs, but that was the charm of it. I'm a huge fan of Abba (sue me, I was brought up in the '70's :D ) so I may be biased, but it was great fun, not anywhere near as good as Priscilla, Queen of the Desert when it comes to Abba movies, but very watchable.

Waterloo anyone? Worth watching just to see Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth in catsuits and platform boots 'dad dancing', why did I get the impression they were loving it :unsure: , Pride and Prejudice will never be the same for me again......

I was watching "The Color Of Money" a few nights ago and I applauded at the ending. It had a "Soprano's ending" to it but I enjoyed how they left you with "The Master defeating his student" or at least that was the vibe.

I thought it would end with the little prick defeating him. I did miss the first half of it. It ended with something like "If I don't beat you now, I'll beat you next week". Newman played an excellent pool shark.

"I'm Back" ... (and he takes his first shot which was very loud)