Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

Saw The Prestige on a plane the other week. Not bad, although it will forever be confused with The Illusionist, another period piece about magicians with dodgy European accents, which came out at almost the same time. Michael Caine is cast against type as a world-weary cockney fellah, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are good in the leads, and Scarlett Johansson appears which can never be bad.

Aye, but David Bowie also appears and that can seldom be good. Share your informed opinion on this one mind NAP, fair movie, an opinion also shared by the Voice of Young Maryport who selected it from the rental shelf.

Mark Kermode, the shouty film reviewer guy off Radio 5 Live, relentlessly mocked Bowie's accent when the film was out. Somewhere there's a comedy bit about David B being a "clap" (i.e. "crap") actor - anyone know what I'm talking about? He does claw back a point or two for his appearance on Extras.

Saw The Prestige on a plane the other week. Not bad, although it will forever be confused with The Illusionist, another period piece about magicians with dodgy European accents, which came out at almost the same time. Michael Caine is cast against type as a world-weary cockney fellah, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are good in the leads, and Scarlett Johansson appears which can never be bad.

Aye, but David Bowie also appears and that can seldom be good. Share your informed opinion on this one mind NAP, fair movie, an opinion also shared by the Voice of Young Maryport who selected it from the rental shelf.

I'm not quite sure which informed opinion of mine it is you're agreeing with but I'm touched nonetheless.

David Bowie does little harm in The Prestige and the film is otherwise quite entertaining.

Watched Twelve Angry Men for the first time last night. A pleasantly diverting little production.

Watched Twelve Angry Men for the first time last night. A pleasantly diverting little production.

I can concur with that particular title. I watched it by accident (couldn't find the remote) and am now looking to buy a copy. :banghead:

watching the clip from Cliffhanger (now posted on the Mountainainthere thread) made me appreciate how many great crap films Sly Stallone has been in. Rocky IV, Over the Top, Victory, Demolition Man, Death Race 2000. All rubbish, yet somehow very watchable. I'm trying to think if anyone's been in more entertaining dreck over the course of a career. Michael Caine perhaps?

I can concur with that particular title. I watched it by accident (couldn't find the remote) and am now looking to buy a copy. :blink:

Picked it up for £2.99 (that's £3 then) at HMV, looking forward to watching it again. Watched The World's Fastest Indian the other night, very good and a true story (with a few justifiable short cuts).

Not a good film, a shockingly awful one. I caught a few minutes of Master of Disguise on C4 the other evening. Has anyone else seen this? RIP the career of Dana Carvey (who was sort of funny in Wayne's World). Strong candidate for Worst Film Ever.

I watched The Simpsons yesterday, which was quite funny.

821544~The-Master-of-Disguise-Video-Release-Posters.jpg

Not a good film, a shockingly awful one. I caught a few minutes of Master of Disguise on C4 the other evening. Has anyone else seen this? RIP the career of Dana Carvey (who was sort of funny in Wayne's World). Strong candidate for Worst Film Ever.

Havent seen a good film for a while now.

I did, however, stumble upon a short, beautifully acted piece which, despite its length, conveyed more passsion, feeling and, at times, menace than most Films of greater budget and length.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z93Kvl3YMWQ

Just a quick note to say we took our 2 year old (& nine months) to the cinema see his first film at the weekend. He liked it so much he wanted to see it again just a few hours later. Not that we could pay and sit through the formulaic pap that is Shrek the Third but its the sort of thing that rocks our lads' boots. (That and "Cars" and the other twenty other animation type film he has on DVD)

6 out of 10.

Saw Live Free or Die Hard. Doesn't have the charm of the first three and it seems dumbed down a bit on a few levels (he only says f**k twice for one thing). Also, it doesn't work as well when he needs a computer nerd to do half the work for him just so he can stay on top of the ass-kickings.

It's still Bruce Willis doing what he does best though, so if you're in for some mindless action and don't mind some lowered expectations, I say go for it. And if you're the Banshees type, his movie daughter is not bad to look at.

Saw Live Free or Die Hard. Doesn't have the charm of the first three and it seems dumbed down a bit on a few levels (he only says f**k twice for one thing). Also, it doesn't work as well when he needs a computer nerd to do half the work for him just so he can stay on top of the ass-kickings.

It's still Bruce Willis doing what he does best though, so if you're in for some mindless action and don't mind some lowered expectations, I say go for it. And if you're the Banshees type, his movie daughter is not bad to look at.

'Tis a good flick indeed, and I say that as someone who can take the first ones and leave them.

The computer nerd? I thought he worked very well to bring the Mclane (?sic?) character to the modern cinematic audience. Best line in the film was when he was attempting to bring the power grid back on, Mclane told him to hurry up and he said something like 'it's not like I'm just retreiving my e-mails here.'

Top film, just for the scene in the tunnel when that car lands on 2 other cars and just misses his head.

BTW- it's called Die Hard 4.0 over here in Blighty. No wonder I had such a hard job downloading a cover for my not so legit DVD before the film came out over here...

Cheers,

BHB

Hoax , the new Richard Gere film, is qiute good.

Went to see the Joy Division Ian Curtis biopic Control at the Electric (lovely old picturehouse with luxurious seating and a relaxed alcohol policy) in Notting Hill last night. Despite knowing the story back to front and back again, it kept me interested and there was plenty of good stuff on the soundtrack of course. Sam Riley looked a bit too Dohertyesque for my liking but turned in a topnotch effort as Curtis. And Manchester's never looked so lovely thanks to Anton Corbijn's washed-out monochrome. I'll give it a 1.5 thumbs up.

Oh, and my fellow attendees assured me that some supermodel called Lily Cole was at the screening, which seemed to excite them somewhat.

Went to see the Joy Division Ian Curtis biopic Control at the Electric (lovely old picturehouse with luxurious seating and a relaxed alcohol policy) in Notting Hill last night. Despite knowing the story back to front and back again, it kept me interested and there was plenty of good stuff on the soundtrack of course. Sam Riley looked a bit too Dohertyesque for my liking but turned in a topnotch effort as Curtis. And Manchester's never looked so lovely thanks to Anton Corbijn's washed-out monochrome. I'll give it a 1.5 thumbs up.

Oh, and my fellow attendees assured me that some supermodel called Lily Cole was at the screening, which seemed to excite them somewhat.

The question is Harry, did you think it was an accurate (ish) biopic?

I assume that, as it hadnt had the "Hollywood" treatment it was fairly true to the facts.

I have clearly missed out somewhere along the line, possibly because, perhaps, I was never a student bumming around Uni.

Joy Division never got onto my Radar and some of the "easy listening" on that other music thread, Ive never heard of.

Or, maybe, I just like listening to shite.

Awesome, just awesome, best thing I've seen in years. That Lily Cole, who's much prettier in real life than magazines.

Control was ok, but a bit of a thin story, which maybe isn't surprising for a guy whose band only made two albums before he died at 23.

Oops, hope I didn't ruin the ending for anyone.

I think the only way to make Manchester look beautiful is to bomb it (again)

Anyway, 'Control' was filmed in the slightly more lovely Nottingham, hence it looks nice and that.

And Manchester's never looked so lovely thanks to Anton Corbijn's washed-out monochrome.

Concur re Closer, the danger is that your notions of Curtis based on years of one to ones with his work in your bedroom, car, iPod etc, skew your view of the film. Thought it worked well because - like Walk the Line - it tells a very human story and lets the music arise from that.

I was at the Chavalcade that is Goose Fair on Saturday, sadly I missed out on the stuck cock, but did enjoy a good portion of Mushy Peas and Mint Sauce.

MMMmm.

Anyway, 'Control' was filmed in the slightly more lovely Nottingham, hence it looks nice and that.

I should have realised that when Hooky started slurping a cock-on-a-stick.

Big Lebowski bore:

I Know I have mentioned this before but I worry that there may be deathlisters who have still not seen The Big Lebowski. I have about six viewings under my belt now and it gets better every time. I almost feel that it should be a qualification for deathlisting. Forgive me if that sounds cliquish but you could only think that if you have so far avoided the Dude.

Also if you have seen it once, try and see it again, then again.

Don't waste any more time, go out there and get it anyways you can. If it doesn't do anything at first watching, watch it again and again and feel the flow of cool. It's the only film Jeff Bridges ever watches featuring himself. Enjoy Donny, Walter and Jesus Quintana. It's almost but not quite as good as Lawrence of Arabia although it's more a film for its time whereas LofA could be considered slightly oldfartish now and, lets face it, there is no humour.

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...

Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These f*****g amateurs...

Guest Guest_The For Whores Man_*

For all of your hardcore Lebowski-fans,. here's some He-Man action dubbed over with the Lebowski. It's a worht a watch, just for the "this what happens when you fvck a stranger in the ass" piece, lol I am loving this movei, nearly so much as The Usual Suspects.

Guest Guest_The For Whores Man_*
For all of your hardcore Lebowski-fans,. here's some He-Man action dubbed over with the Lebowski. It's a worht a watch, just for the "this what happens when you fvck a stranger in the ass" piece, lol I am loving this movei, nearly so much as The Usual Suspects.

Sorry guys, here's a link D'oh!.