Death Star

Albert Hofmann

Guest Guest
I'm new here, but having looked at the list, I think anyone over 100 should be exempted, there isn't really a challenge in putting them on the list. I say if they make the ton give them a pass.

Bert's a 7-time nominee; we ain't gonna lose him now.

I'm new here, but having looked at the list, I think anyone over 100 should be exempted, there isn't really a challenge in putting them on the list. I say if they make the ton give them a pass.

Bert's a 7-time nominee; we ain't gonna lose him now.

Heck, all three centenarians on this year's list have been on Deathlist for at least 5 years. I have nothing wrong with centenarian picks, as long as there aren't too many.

I see your point, but 100 is a milestone. If you get to that point death's a bt boring really

A 100 year old has the same chance as dying in a year than an 80 year old.

Look at Brooke Astor. That old bugger kept going until she was 105.

Also, if the 100 rule were in force, the DL would have missed out on the deaths of the Queen Mother and Bob Hope.

I think the existing rule is fine. If your claim to fame is being 100 or over, you should be off. World War One veterans for example. They are only famous because they have managed to outlive 99.9% of all WW1 veterans.

Guest Strawberries

This little "trip" off-topic will resolve nothing; I can't imagine the DL Selection Committee changing the rules off the back of this paltry discourse.

Or, more simply put, "y'all be trippin'"

Guest Guest

waffle

Hmm, it could be another incentive for these ancient coffin-dodgers to plug on; get a telegram from Her Maj AND escape the DL's clutches for ever. :rip:

waffle

Hmm, it could be another incentive for these ancient coffin-dodgers to plug on; get a telegram from Her Maj AND escape the DL's clutches for ever. :rip:

At least sign in if you are going to insult me.

That's wrong - an 80 year old is statistically much more likely to reach 81 that a 100 year old is to get to 101. I think.

Not sure you're in any position to take the moral highground on not signing in, Windsor :rip:

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...st&p=108876

Guest Guest_irishguy_*

That's wrong - an 80 year old is statistically much more likely to reach 81 that a 100 year old is to get to 101. I think.

Not sure you're in any position to take the moral highground on not signing in, Windsor :)

Guest Guest_irishguy_*

I take your point, but maybe there be a quota of centennarians, say a max of 5, for example. Also maybe 5 people under 65 as mandatory also just to make it interesting.

I take your point, but maybe there should be a cap on 100+, say 5. Also, for the sack of invention, maybe a minimum of 5 peopleple under 60 as well.

Not sure you're in any position to take the moral highground on not signing in, Windsor :)

George Melly and Albert Hofmann from last years list may disagree. It depends on the people at hand. Our sample population regards celebrities. People who are generally well off. I think that the proportions are more or less equal. Albert Hofmann lives on but the comparatively young Francis Pyms dies.

At least in my guest posts, you know who I am. Unlike you sniping bastards who are with us one minute then anonymous the next.

http://www.worldradio.ch/wrs/news/switzerl...sel.shtml?10492

LSD, ecstasy bend minds in Basel

Psychedelic drugs like LSD and ecstasy are the subject of an international conference taking place in Basel later this week. About 2,000 participants will be discussing their use, abuse and cultural significance. And guest of honour will be 102-year-old Albert Hoffman, the discoverer of LSD. World Radio Switzerland’s Vincent Landon has more.

E-mail Print

By Vincent Landon, World Radio Switzerland

Download mp3 (2.6 MB)

Consciousness Change, a challenge of the 21st Century. That’s the title of the World Psychedelic Forum taking place in Basel. It comes just two years after a first symposium attracted huge international interest, says organiser Dieter Hagenbach

HAGENBACH: “What we found out after the last conference is that there is an enormous interest in information about psychedelic drugs, and we are going to cover and give a lot of information about these substances – the use, the misuse and the history.”

Psychotherapist Peter Gasser from Solothurn is carrying out trials with LSD on patients suffering from advanced-stage cancer and other terminal illnesses. Results are expected next year. Swiss medical authorities gave approval for the trials last year, making it the first government-approved study of LSD in over 35 years.

GASSER: “What we are hoping is that the level of anxiety and distress will improve under the effect of LSD, and that’s what we are measuring.”

His colleague Peter Oehen from Biberist is conducing a trial with ecstasy in patients suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. He says the authorities have started to look more favourably on carefully designed studies.

OEHEN: “There’s a kind of renaissance going on and if you have a sound protocol, then ethic committees are willing to give permission to examine psychedelics for certain medical conditions.”

The conference will be a trip down memory lane for Swiss scientist Albert Hofmann who discovered LSD in 1938. Hofmann, who celebrated his 102nd birthday in January will be guest of honour. The reason for his excellent health is even more mind-bending than LSD. Here’s Dieter Hagenbach again.

HAGENBACH: “Most people think that it has to do with his discovery – the wonder drug – but when people ask him about the secret of his longevity, he says: ‘Every morning I have two raw eggs in my muesli and a glass of cider.’”

LSD was once a well-respected treatment for a variety of psychiatric disorders. But its widespread use as a recreational drug eventually led to a worldwide ban at the end of the 1960s. Now the medical profession is rediscovering its virtues.

Guest johnny Sharps

LSD stands for the old British Currency POUNDS, SHILLINGS AND PENCE .....Come on Americans, wake up and smell the TEA!

Lets get this back on topic.

Is he going to die yet?

Did he speak at that conference in March? If so any pics?

Guest a nonny

Dead - April 28th 2008

R.I.P.

Link to site claiming Hoffman is dead

This isn't in the news yet. I'm from Basel and Hoffmann lived close (in Burg). My friends mother helped to look after him, he died last night (of old age probably, he was 102).

You might not belive one source you don't know and who has no way to back up his claims but it's true. It will probably go public soon.

Oh sorry, It looks oficial at first sight. But if you scroll down you see it's just another blog.

It's been amended since I last looked a couple of hours ago.

Initially it said

Albert Hofmann, LSD inventor, RIP (PROBABLY NOT)

Guest Cain

The Seattle Stranger seems to have confirmed the story with the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies. The problem seems to have stemmed from the fact that a statement wasn't made and the story was leaked (possibly the original reddit post, or not far removed from it). http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/04/so_lon..._all_the_trips/

I'd personally like another source before I come outright and say he's definitely dead, but it seems plausible, currently.