Cowboy Ronnie

African Leaders - Despots and Democratic

2 hours ago, drol said:

Ali Hassan Mwinyi hospitalised , family asking for prayers.

Who should I pray to in this case?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 20/08/2023 at 16:00, arghton said:

Geingob says he is not ill as there has apparently been some rumors around. He has had two short hospitalisations recently including a heart procedure in SA.

Hage Geingob, third (and incumbent) President of Namibia serving since 2015, reportedly dead aged 82. Also served as Prime Minister from 1990-2002 and 2012-2015.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Hage Geingob, third (and incumbent) President of Namibia serving since 2015, reportedly dead aged 82. Also served as Prime Minister from 1990-2002 and 2012-2015.

I am once again repeating my opinion that this guy does not seem to be that much of a despot or a despot at all.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thatcher said:

First Namibian president to die.

Survived by his 89 and 95 years old predecessors Pohamba and Nujoma. Pohamba received surgery in 2022, looked quite bad on his 88th birthday last year and has been absent from the public scene for a while.

Nujoma looks fine, but has been in ICU a pair of times in recent years and rumours of impeding demise float around once in a while.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tango854 said:

I am once again repeating my opinion that this guy does not seem to be that much of a despot or a despot at all.

For the record, I agree. Bit of alleged corruption but who's the last non corrupt leader of the UK? Threads gone beyond the obvious old school dictators to encompass all of Africa from the democracies to the dictatorships so the old title is a relic and a wee bit ethnocentric too.

Also I don't blame any regulars for this and think the increased interest and knowledge in non European politicians is generally a good thing.

• Like 6

Oh, but the subtitle was so good!  Can't we keep that?

Pohamba did show up. Looks his age and walking with a crutch, otherwise fine.

Where is Nujoma?

41 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

AHHHHHH THE DEATHLIST HAS GONE "WOKE"

The writing was on the wall the day ‘boofheads’ disappeared from the rugby thread title. What next, will ‘The World of the Snowflake’ become ‘The World of the Ice Crystal’? Will ‘Cunt’ become merely ‘Bono’?!!!

I’m cancelling my subscription and writing to The Times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

AHHHHHH THE DEATHLIST HAS GONE "WOKE"

Don't blame me. I didn't know it had changed. 

• Angry 1

14 hours ago, Tango854 said:

Merely your opinion.  Nothing wrong with the use of the Despot word. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Beano - To mark kids voting Greta Thunberg's UN speech as their Moment Of  The Year in the Beano Power Awards, we've immortalised our hero in  Beanotown. Good luck in Bristol today –

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

The writing was on the wall the day ‘boofheads’ disappeared from the rugby thread title.

It was me that queried that. The only place I have ever seen or heard that word is on this forum, and specifically only in that thread title.

Rugby wasn't mentioned at all in the thread title.

• Like 1

New president of Namibia is Nangolo Mbumba, who acted as Geingob's vice president as is, ironically, the same age as Geingob

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drol said:

Pohamba did show up. Looks his age and walking with a crutch, otherwise fine.

Where is Nujoma?

Nujoma also showed up and look well.

On 04/02/2024 at 13:05, Paul Bearer said:

That says a lot.

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

That says a lot.

Doesn’t mean anything. Just means another admin changed it. 

Tanzania has 99-year old Mwinyi in hospital, decrepit nonagenarian PMs Msuya and Malecela and top notch immortal Musuguri, yet this 70-year old has to die. Fuck it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Tanzania has 99-year old Mwinyi in hospital, decrepit nonagenarian PMs Msuya and Malecela and top notch immortal Musuguri, yet this 70-year old has to die. Fuck it.

His last name didn't start with an M, that's why he had to go

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/11/2023 at 23:53, arghton said:

Niat Njifenji also had his millionth health-related visit to Europe (likely France as usual) last month but is back in action. He's been in failing health for atleast 5 years now and I recall he was in critical condition somewhere around four years ago atleast once.

Marcel Niat Njifenji, President of the Senate of Cameroon, rumored seriously ill or already dead and has not been seen since November. I think it's very likely he's currently in some French hospital. 

The article also mentions rumors going around that Michel Meva'a Meboutou is in ill health. He's the Secretary General of the Senate and former Minister of Finance and had a five-month hospitalisation last year.

Ali Hassan Mwinyi still hospitalised, and doctors may come from abroad, but he seems to be in no danger still.

On 16/02/2024 at 15:16, drol said:

Ali Hassan Mwinyi still hospitalised, and doctors may come from abroad, but he seems to be in no danger still.

Ali Hassan Mwinyi dead aged 98. He served as the third President of Zanzibar (1984-1985) and the second President of Tanzania (1985-1995).

For Tanzania, this leaves only two living Presidents: 

Jakaya Kikwete b. 1950, fourth President serving 2005-2010

Samia Suluhu Hassan b. 1960, sixth (and incumbent) President serving since 2021.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Ali Hassan Mwinyi dead aged 98. He served as the third President of Zanzibar (1984-1985) and the second President of Tanzania (1985-1995).

Died today, apparently. If true, the the DDP's first ever 29th February hit. We came close with a vast number of 28 Feb hits and misses in 2020 under my reign of terror.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Darn. One of my cup picks falling just before the starting gun

• Like 1