Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Grenfell Jones - sad news, I am sure, for all the DL'ers who hail from Wales.

As for this Jock, never heard of him....

From Rolling Stone today:

GRAND OLE OPRY STAR DIES

DEL REEVES, one of the Grand Ole Opry's greatest enduring icons, died Monday of a longtime illness. Best known for the Number One country single "Girl on the Billboard." Reeves was a forty-year veteran of the Opry. He was seventy-four.

Janos Furst

Celebrated fiddle player violinist, leader and assistant conductor of the Ulster Orchestra, has died at the age of 71.

England's oldest surviving Test cricketer Norman "Mandy" Mitchell-Innes has died aged 92:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/co...ory/274447.html

Probably couldn't bear to hang about for today's thoroughly shameful result, and who could blame him!

Anyone know who takes the "oldest surviving" mantle now?

Marais Viljoen, South Africa's president from 1979 to 1984, died yesterday, 91 years old. Wasn't he mentioned on the PW Botha thread last year?

England's oldest surviving Test cricketer Norman "Mandy" Mitchell-Innes has died aged 92:

Probably couldn't bear to hang about for today's thoroughly shameful result, and who could blame him!

Ken Cranston (20.10.17) takes the mantle, and is also England's oldest living Test captain. He is the tenth oldest living Test cricketer, according to this list..

Uninteresting trivia. Unlike John 'The Dentist' Maynard, the West Indian fast bowler nicknamed for his ability to remove a batsman's teeth, Ken Cranston actually used to be a dentist.

Ken Cranston (20.10.17) takes the mantle, and is also England's oldest living Test captain. He is the tenth oldest living Test cricketer, according to this list..

Uninteresting trivia. Unlike John 'The Dentist' Maynard, the West Indian fast bowler nicknamed for his ability to remove a batsman's teeth, Ken Cranston actually used to be a dentist.

Useful list....

Thanks for that 12T. I knew I'd seen the list one here somewhere before. And well done TMIB on selecting John Smyth!

The finely named John Lust, the last surviving crew member of any of the American Navy airship fleet has died at the age of 91.

That leaves just one survivor of the airship era still alive, 84 year old Werner Franz, who survived the 1937 Hindenburg disaster.

Brinsworth House has lost another resident, their 3rd in the space of a month-and-a-half:-

this time it's Lila Prentice, who died on Thursday. Obit

Sure she's been mentioned in passing somewhere here, but search is really slow this morning.

Nikki Bacharach, daughter of Burt Bacharach and Angie Dickinson has commited suicide aged 40...

Guest Guest
Momofuku Ando

The man credited with inventing "pot noodles" has died aged 96.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6237013.stm

96 - perhaps the student diet isn't so unhealthy afterall. Though it doesn't say he actually "ate the slag of all snacks" himself. Then again it must be safer than some Japanese food - I hear they use polonium 210 these days to flavour the wasabi.

The internationally renowned cellist, Eleonore Schoenfeld, has died aged 81.

Her sister, the internationally renowned violinist Alice Schoenfield, might be one to keep an eye on for 2008.

Was mentioned in I&P for 2007 and was selected for the 2006 DDP: A.I. Bezzerides dead at 98.

At last - someone I've heard of, dying in 2007.

Was on my 1st DDP in 2004, but only because I got him confused with I A L Diamond! :)

He looked like he would make 100, might well have done if not for that fall. :skull:

I wonder, with the new rules, if he too, was a pick for anyone on the DDP.

So that's possibly Kollek & Bezzerides.

MIB has chosen someone who IS dead but hasn't got an obit, and FF has chosen someone who is possibly dead but no-one knows. Hmm.. will be interesting when the names are up on the site.

Was mentioned in I&P for 2007 and was selected for the 2006 DDP: A.I. Bezzerides dead at 98.

MIB has chosen someone who IS dead but hasn't got an obit,

.....yet! :rip:

Does that count?

Does that count?

I don't think it does. We'll have to wait. Mike Dickins' is in the Independent today..

Here's the Yorkshire Post on the matter..