Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Guest Matthew Troy

Just got an e-mail to say Yvonne de Carlo has died. No link yet though

Sorry to be an Iain. I just got a bit excited as she'll be my first hit in CPDP if indeed she is dead.

Hey, she was on my list this year, as well. {ok she was on last years too, but still}

Finally got one did you?

I mentioned him last year, but most certainly didn't put him on my DDP. Secret Santa Larry Stewart dead.

I wonder if anyone did? Might be interesting to see if he pulls a Laurel Hester.

EDIT: It appears that a few chose him for Handrejka's pool, which I again forgot to enter... :dead:

Michael Brecker, the famous saxophonist, has died aged 57 from leukamia.

A bit of a surprise as I thought he had his disease beaten, hence why I dropped him from my lists a while back.

Also died on the 13th, so the first DDP 13th Day bonus goes to at least 2 teams, including last year's runner-up Go Fish.

Michael Brecker, the famous saxophonist, has died aged 57 from leukamia.

A bit of a surprise as I thought he had his disease beaten, hence why I dropped him from my lists a while back.

Also died on the 13th, so the first DDP 13th Day bonus goes to at least 2 teams, including last year's runner-up Go Fish.

Another strong start for Go Fish in 2007...

I mentioned him last year, but most certainly didn't put him on my DDP. Secret Santa Larry Stewart dead.

I wonder if anyone did? Might be interesting to see if he pulls a Laurel Hester.

Well if they did, they have the points

The Guardian newspaper - 1st at reporting the most obscure deaths imaginable

Well if they did, they have the points

The Guardian newspaper - 1st at reporting the most obscure deaths imaginable

Not a Guardian obit just another AP feed.

Will the DDP boys count it though? If so, the Guardian will make me rethink my strategy for 2008. <_<

Is there any real news in the Guardian? Or is it just full of obits?

Well, I e-mailed them, bringing up the point with the Bezzerides obit (and the other small bits of info re Gardiner & Muhammad)

If Rude Kid doesn't mind me putting it here, I think the general consensus is "yes" but it depends on the type of the article - he mentioned he had to disqualify an AP mention of Bobby Hamilton's death as it a) wasn't a permament article (like Miura's last year) and b - not really an article on Hamilton, per se.

Ultimately, though, this is still in the rules:

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

To be honest, though, it makes no difference to me. The Guardian's been doing this kind of trick for some time and I've accounted for it accordingly. Had Wilma Dykeman or Ellis Rubin made it to 2007, my only hope of an 'obit' would've been the Guardian.

If I were going to be harsh and bring in a rule, I would say that only an obituary in the Guardian obituary section should count from there in future years, but it ain't my DP. The only reason I say don't scrap the Guardian completely is because one of my picks (Baroness Jeger) is an ex-Guardian obit writer! <_<

Well, I e-mailed them, bringing up the point with the Bezzerides obit (and the other small bits of info re Gardiner & Muhammad)

You cheat! I wouldn't dream of badgering the grauniad over Mr Smyth.

Mind you if needs must.... <_<

Actually, I've just had a word with someone I used to work with at my old place and told them that if they get Clive Everton on the phone while the Masters are on to mention what a terrible shame it is a certain Mr Smyth hasn't had a proper obit yet. So you never know...

Actually, I've just had a word with someone I used to work with at my old place and told them that if they get Clive Everton on the phone while the Masters are on to mention what a terrible shame it is a certain Mr Smyth hasn't had a proper obit yet. So you never know...

He'll get one, they did one for Patsy Houlihan last week and he died in November! Ding's 147 yesterday might also prompt memories. as it was Mr Smyth who officiated (and not in 1983 as the DDP write up has said) on the first by Kirk Stevens in 1984...

Firstly, I e-mailed DDP, as I clearly stated, not the Guardian.

Secondly, Bezzerides isn't on my team anyway, so e-mailing the Guardian wouldn't made a difference? <_<

So, less of the "cheating", MIB. :D

Wasn't he the inspiration for Derek Smalls in Spinal Tap?

Chris Aylmer, former bass player of the heavy metal band Samson, has died.

(edit...my mistake, that was Steve Dawson from Saxon

1st.jpg

christopher_guest4.jpg

On the articles vs. obits debate, I'm not so sure a UK newspaper obit is always an indicator of real fame, at least for DL purposes. In today's Torygraph, for example, in addition to Michael Brecker, there are obituaries for Professor Bill Beasley and Mrs. Justice Bracewell. (It is amazing how many judges share the name "Justice". Their parents must be totally, like, clairvoyant or something). Neither of these two would have passed the Committee's fame test in a million years.

Not quite appropriate for this thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

Lisbon man leaves entire estate to 70 people chosen at random from the phone book:

http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=5...FTOKEN=45519868

"The estate, which is yet to be divided up, includes 25,000 euros, a 12-room flat in central Lisbon, another house in a historic town, and a car"

I couldn't find her listed anywhere,

Barbara Kelly has died at the age of 82

Firstly, I e-mailed DDP, as I clearly stated, not the Guardian.

Secondly, Bezzerides isn't on my team anyway, so e-mailing the Guardian wouldn't made a difference? :)

So, less of the "cheating", MIB. :P

Yes, I know now, sorry Octopus....wrong end of stick! :)