Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

On a day when the deaths have been reported of a notable footballer and a cricketer, here's one who had a foot in both camps:

Arthur Milton

He played both football and cricket for England, and was the last person to do so.

"Milton played cricket for Gloucestershire for 26 years, captaining the county in 1968. He scored more than 32,000 first class runs at an average of 33 and made six Test appearances for England between 1958 and 1959.

As a footballer, he made 84 appearances for Arsenal, scoring 21 goals and was a member of their First Division title winning side in 1953.

After just 12 League appearances he was called up by England and gained his one and only cap in a 2-2 draw with Austria in November 1951."

Never heard of this guy, would have put him on the "not exactly famous" thread if it was still around, but thought the nature of his death had a certain quirkiness about it:

James Richards, renowned US cat expert and TV personality, dies after crashing his motorcycle trying to avoid a cat.

On a day when the deaths have been reported of a notable footballer and a cricketer, here's one who had a foot in both camps:

Arthur Milton

He played both football and cricket for England, and was the last person to do so.

Two Arsenal & England players dead in a day - and, of course, two England International cricketers dead in a day. :):ph34r: Milton played for Bristol City, Ball (briefly) for Bristol Rovers - but there the coincidence ends as Bally loved his golf and wasn't so fussed about cricket.

Just noticed a quote on the BBC website, by the way, which has pushed up Alan Ball even further in my estimation:

He was at St Mary's stadium last Saturday to see Southampton beat Leeds. He enjoyed that as Leeds, along with one or two Scotsmen, were the only things that Ballie took a dislike to.

A man of great taste, clearly. :rip:

James B. Davis, founder member of influential gospel group The Dixie Hummingbirds has died at the age of 90. The group was formed in 1928 and continues to record today (although I can't imagine they have many original members left)

The 6 to have died of the 1970 squad that PLAYED are Bobby Moore, Peter Osgood, Jeff Astle, Keith Newton, Brian Labone & now Alan Ball.

Emlyn Hughes, who didn't play in the tournament, is the 7th deceased player.

That's almost a third of the squad gone in just 37 years. :)

Compare that to other England World Cup Squads - 2 dead of 22 for 1966, 3 of 22 for 1962, and 5 of 22 for 1958, you start to see how unusual the high attrittion rate from the 1970 squad is.

1970 World Cup was in Mexico at high altitude, with matches played in the heat of the afternoon...

As for Leeds, I read that Don Revie tried to procure Ball from Blackpool in not-entirely-legal means, but Ball did not err.....

1970 World Cup was in Mexico at high altitude, with matches played in the heat of the afternoon...

Chile in 1962 was hardly played at night in a frozen tundra, MIB..... :)

Of the other 1970 teams:

0 deaths: Mexico, Morocco, Israel, Uruguay

1 death: Italy (Facchetti - cancer), West Germany, El Salvador

2 deaths: Belgium, Brazil, Peru, Romania, Sweden

3 deaths: Bulgaria (one of those was a car crash), Czechoslovakia

6 deaths: USSR

7 deaths: England

Still a rather unusual amount....

Of course, not all the deaths above are heart-attacks & of England's, Moore, Hughes & Newton of course died after cancer battles.

Never heard of this guy, would have put him on the "not exactly famous" thread if it was still around, but thought the nature of his death had a certain quirkiness about it:

James Richards, renowned US cat expert and TV personality, dies after crashing his motorcycle trying to avoid a cat.

:) God love him!

I won't even begin to ask how you know that the 1970 Moroccan world cup team (squad?) has remained entirely intact...

Oh, it's one of my life-long interests - the football World Cup. I was fascinated as a small boy & am still fascinated by it now.

About 10 years ago, I pondered on how many players were still alive from each tournament & have kept tabs ever since. The internet is then most useful for checking up on this type of thing.

Hence I can come up with random shite like the above and:-

* Only two players survive from the first World Cup in 1930

* There are more dead players from Costa Rica's 2002 squad (1) than Iran's 1978 or Holland's 1974 squad.

* Despite all the upheavel & constant early deaths, NONE of Iraq's 1986 squad are dead.

* 7 of North Korea's giant-killing 1966 squad are dead already (the worst total from 1966)

* Just 4 - yes 4(!!) of the USSR's 1962 squad are still alive.

* 13 members of the UAE's 1990 squad had a name Mubarak somewhere in their name. All are still alive.

* To keep it DL-based, only 2 of Uruguay's 1950 winning squad remain.

:)

Chile in 1962 was hardly played at night in a frozen tundra, MIB..... :P

Of the other 1970 teams:

0 deaths: Mexico, Morocco, Israel, Uruguay

1 death: Italy (Facchetti - cancer), West Germany, El Salvador

2 deaths: Belgium, Brazil, Peru, Romania, Sweden

3 deaths: Bulgaria (one of those was a car crash), Czechoslovakia

6 deaths: USSR

7 deaths: England

Still a rather unusual amount....

Of course, not all the deaths above are heart-attacks & of England's, Moore, Hughes & Newton of course died after cancer battles.

Er...actually not OoO. Chile is in the southern hemisphere, so our summer is their winter, so it would have been quite nippy... :P

Not really surprising therefore that no Mexicans have bought it since....

TMIB, love the new Alex Higgins avatar!

TMIB, love the new Alex Higgins avatar!

Yes, A special one for the World Snooker Championship. I might do more 'themed' avatars for particular events that take my fancy. Thanks for the compliment.... :P

the man who did the Monster Mash , Bobby Picket is dead at 69

So he really will be a graveyard smash now.

Jack Valenti, mentioned in the I&P Thread, has died at age 85, after suffering a stroke a month ago.

a sad loss- he was a great man :P

meanwhile actress Anne Pitoniak dies at 85

William "Sonny Boy" Petulengro has died, "The founder of Britain's most famous fortune telling family "

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_headl...-name_page.html

Maybe not an immediately familiar name, but those of us who have walked down Blackpool prom and seen the many fortune-telling booths bearing the Petulengro name will make the connection!

Go on, I know someone wants to do a "didn't see that one coming" joke...

Rostropovich has died.

A great shame - as a friend of both Shostakovich and Britten, he was one of the last links with the great composers of the 20th century, as well as a consummate teacher, musician and conductor.

RIP, Slava.

Rostropovich has died.

A great shame - as a friend of both Shostakovich and Britten, he was one of the last links with the great composers of the 20th century, as well as a consummate teacher, musician and conductor.

RIP, Slava.

Very sad. He had an infectious sense of humour too.

Just noting quote in Pravda's article about ' his love for the five Fs - "fiddles, food, females, friends and fodka." ' :P

Rostropovich has died.

This is getting ridiculous. Another huge miss. Also - he should have his own thread as he is more famous than at least 40 of the 2007 candidates (that includes you, Ruby Mohammed).

I won't even begin to ask how you know that the 1970 Moroccan world cup team (squad?) has remained entirely intact...

Oh, it's one of my life-long interests - the football World Cup. I was fascinated as a small boy & am still fascinated by it now.

About 10 years ago, I pondered on how many players were still alive from each tournament & have kept tabs ever since. The internet is then most useful for checking up on this type of thing.

Hence I can come up with random shite like the above and:-

* Only two players survive from the first World Cup in 1930

* There are more dead players from Costa Rica's 2002 squad (1) than Iran's 1978 or Holland's 1974 squad.

* Despite all the upheavel & constant early deaths, NONE of Iraq's 1986 squad are dead.

* 7 of North Korea's giant-killing 1966 squad are dead already (the worst total from 1966)

* Just 4 - yes 4(!!) of the USSR's 1962 squad are still alive.

* 13 members of the UAE's 1990 squad had a name Mubarak somewhere in their name. All are still alive.

* To keep it DL-based, only 2 of Uruguay's 1950 winning squad remain.

:P

Now I know how the "I need to get a life" title is earned ...

I remember a Moroccan player from the 1982 world cup called Guendouz. The reason is that there was an Adam Ant song at the time with the line "subtle innuendos follow" and I always thought it was "suddenly Guendouz follows". I spent years wondering why Adam Ant would be referring to the Morrocan team in his lyrics, and what it was that he was following (it must be something inside). I wonder if he's still going (Guendouz, I mean).

Now I know how the "I need to get a life" title is earned ...

I remember a Moroccan player from the 1982 world cup called Guendouz. The reason is that there was an Adam Ant song at the time with the line "subtle innuendos follow" and I always thought it was "suddenly Guendouz follows". I spent years wondering why Adam Ant would be referring to the Morrocan team in his lyrics, and what it was that he was following (it must be something inside). I wonder if he's still going (Guendouz, I mean).

Mohammed Guendouz is Algerian. Morocco weren't in the 1982 World Cup, Algeria were. And, yes, Guendouz is still alive.

Bit rich to tell me to "get a life" when you remember Adam Ant lyrics from 25 years ago.... :P:P

On your other point, Rostropovich's health really only detoriated this year, so once again, I really don't think the DL can be held responsible for missing his death. Next someone will be saying Alan Ball should've been on the DL... :P