Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

PW Botha

Guest Zuma is an Idiot

When Zuma takes control in 2008 , maybe everyone with HIV can take showers and eat Garlic to get rid of the disease . Let´s see what happens to South Africa under Black Rule , a great example is what has happened up North in Zimbabwe with inflation at 3000 % !!! What an example to follow !

Here's a quote from the BBC regarding the ANC's reaction to Botha's death...

''The ruling African National Congress, which was outlawed under Botha, was among the first to offer condolences.

"The African National Congress wishes his family strength and comfort at this difficult time," it said in a statement. ''

Blimey that's generous considering.... :crossbone:

It's great to have our 9th graduate from the DL class of 2006.

What a nice surprise! Well done PW, at least your death made people happy.

Let's hope Suharto, Ford, Mintoff, Bouteflika, Waldheim, Thatcher, Pinochet and Mandela take the hint.

regards,

Hein

Let's hope Suharto, Ford, Mintoff, Bouteflika, Waldheim, Thatcher, Pinochet and Mandela take the hint.

A year of dieing politicians has been proven. This leads me to the conclution that atleast one more will take the toll for another Deathlist graduate. It would be clever to include both Betty and Gerald Ford next year. I take it that if they both survive this year, one is likely to drop dead in 2007 if they both don't get the ticket. In all reason, a stroke for Augusto would satisfy many.

Guest Proudly South African

A dictator????? Granted, he was an idiot at times but never, EVER a dictator!! If you don't live in South Africa and have "gained" your knowledge through news clips, etc, SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!

The only difference between PW Botha's "dictatorship" and the current "dictatorship" is COLOUR. How would you like it if you were a government employee and your head of state department told you straight 'YOU, WHITE MAN, THE POSISTION YOU HAVE NOW IS THE POSITION YOU WILL RETIRE FROM - THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR PROMOTION" "YOU, WHITE WOMAN, YOU HAVE A SLIGHT CHANCE FOR PROMOTION". This is what was said to government employees of the department of Correctional Services by the Commissioner of Corrections. Next on the line to be downtrodden are the coloureds and then the indians.

Not all of us agreed with the old apartheid era but, at least then murderers and rapists hung for their deeds and didn't get released on R500 (about $72) bail so they could go and repeat their crimes.

And as for Zuma - heaven help us all if he becomes President because then we will be in the same boat as Zimbabwe. Also, heaven realy help us all if Mandela dies - he is still the only one that can save this country.

Guest chickenscominghometoroost

Well i hope all the pleasant South African entries are commenting while trying to rebuild the country they ruined rather than having brought their unpleasant personalities over to Earlsfield / Wimbledon etc.

A dictator????? Granted, he was an idiot at times but never, EVER a dictator!! If you don't live in South Africa and have "gained" your knowledge through news clips, etc, SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!

The only difference between PW Botha's "dictatorship" and the current "dictatorship" is COLOUR. How would you like it if you were a government employee and your head of state department told you straight 'YOU, WHITE MAN, THE POSISTION YOU HAVE NOW IS THE POSITION YOU WILL RETIRE FROM - THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR PROMOTION" "YOU, WHITE WOMAN, YOU HAVE A SLIGHT CHANCE FOR PROMOTION". This is what was said to government employees of the department of Correctional Services by the Commissioner of Corrections. Next on the line to be downtrodden are the coloureds and then the indians.

Not all of us agreed with the old apartheid era but, at least then murderers and rapists hung for their deeds and didn't get released on R500 (about $72) bail so they could go and repeat their crimes.

And as for Zuma - heaven help us all if he becomes President because then we will be in the same boat as Zimbabwe. Also, heaven realy help us all if Mandela dies - he is still the only one that can save this country.

This sounds reasonable, however I'm not convinced that the Europeans should ever have been in Africa in the first place.. if that means a lot more Zimbabwes then so be it, people should be able to choose their own path

If we were given a chance of having the UK taken over by the Japanese (including government etc), resulting in having a better manufacturing industry more efficiency/wealth etc, I think most of us would not want that despite the material advantages

A year of dieing politicians has been proven. This leads me to the conclution that atleast one more will take the toll for another Deathlist graduate. It would be clever to include both Betty and Gerald Ford next year. I take it that if they both survive this year, one is likely to drop dead in 2007 if they both don't get the ticket. In all reason, a stroke for Augusto would satisfy many.

GF was a 2005 and 2006 pick, that rules him out next year, dunnit?

Guest Hampshire Rose

The topic was PW Botha...

All I want to say is Anubis, you are a tosser to boot!

I can`t be arsed getting into this debate, got better things to do...like watch paint dry or hey, Neighbours is on in a few hours! Have you ever even been to SA?

PW was not a great man but he was not a crock of sh*t either. Mandela, yeah, he is a good guy but we seem to over look the fact that he was a convicted terrorist...

I say bring back someone like PW, at least we did not have the level of crime we have now. Under his *dictatorship* we had the death sentance, a sure put off!

When you live in a country were your mates are having their heads blown off with a 357 magnum for less than a quid, you will understand why us South Africans *hop on a flight to London*. I love my country but I won`t bloody die for it.

They say you are a true South African when you would rather get killed in your bed than move to England and make it yourself. I make my bed every morning...and it has not killed me yet.

B)

I make my bed every morning...and it has not killed me yet.

If making your bed is such a worry, why not get a home help?

Guest Guest

B) Shall I add you to my *tosser* list?

I was stressing that I DON`T NEED any *home help*

Bless...

The topic was PW Botha...

I can`t be arsed getting into this debate, got better things to do...

Evidently not

PW was not a great man but he was not a crock of sh*t either. Mandela, yeah, he is a good guy but we seem to over look the fact that he was a convicted terrorist...

Yes, but he was convicted by a brutal and corrupt regime that denied him and his people basic human rights.

I say bring back someone like PW, at least we did not have the level of crime we have now. Under his *dictatorship* we had the death sentance, a sure put off!

Ah, this explains why the US has such a low crime rate compared to the UK! B)

When you live in a country were your mates are having their heads blown off with a 357 magnum for less than a quid, you will understand why us South Africans *hop on a flight to London*. I love my country but I won`t bloody die for it.

They say you are a true South African when you would rather get killed in your bed than move to England and make it yourself. I make my bed every morning...and it has not killed me yet.

:)

Hampshire Rose - interesting name - you're not Kevin Pietersen by any chance?

Guest Guest

Kevin Pietersen !?!?

Am I suposed to know who this person is?

Oh let's all just have a little sing-a-long... ALL TOGETHER NOW!!!

I've travelled this old world of ours from Barnsley to Peru

I've had sunshine in the arctic and a swim in Timbuktu

I've seen unicorns in Burma and a Yetti in Nepal

And I've danced with ten foot pygmies in a Montezuma hall

I've met the King of China and a working Yorkshire miner

But I've never met a nice South African.

No he's never met a nice South African

And that's not bloody surprising man

'Cause we're a bunch of arrogant b***tards

Who hate black people

I once got served in Woolies aften less than four week's wait

I had lunch with Rowan Atkinson when he paid and wasn't late

I know a public swimming bath where they don't piss in the pool

I know a guy who got a job straight after leaving school

I've met a normal merman and a fairly modest German

'Cause we're a bunch of talentless murderers

Who smell like baboons

I've had a close encounter of the twenty-second kind

That's when an alien spaceship disappears up your behind

I got directory enquiries after less than forty rings

I've even heard a decent song by Paul McCartney's Wings

I've seen a flying pig in a quite convincing wig

'Cause we're a bunch of ignorant loudmouths

With no sense of humour - ha ha

I've met the Loch Ness monster and he looks like Fred Astaire

At the BBC in London he's the chief commissionaire

I know a place in Glasgow which is rife with daffodillies

I met a man in Katmandu who claimed to have two willies

I've had a nice pot noodle but I've never had a poodle

And I've never met a nice South African.

Because we've never met one either

Except for Breyten Breytenbach and he's emigrated to Paris.

Yes he's quite a nice South African

And he's hardly ever killed anyone

And he's not smelly at all.

That's why they put him prison.

Kevin Pietersen !?!?

Am I suposed to know who this person is?

Wiki says he is a cricketer, so obviously the answer is 'no'. In fact, it's a compliment if you've never heard of him.

Were you the guy who would rather watch paint dry than discussing South African politics on this forum? Well, I'm the guy who would prefer the paint over watching cricket.

Guest Guest
B) lol, that made me smile... God, I really don`t feel South African at all anymore...

Guest Proudly South African

It is good that ALL South African's have the right to vote - I agree with this concept wholeheartedly. What I don't agree with, is our governments attempt to rebuild a Country in just 10 years. You cannot take a black person who has not been fully trained and put him/her in a position of power. You wouldn't take a half educated person off the streets and put them in charge of a business.

If, the black person is fully qualified for the job, give it to him. BUT, don't withdraw positions because there were no black applications or settle for second best because the best is a white/coloured/indian.

The young black people who are leaving school now are the ones who, in the future will be the leaders of our Country and, with that, I have absolutely no problem. The problem is now!!! We are destroying our Country instead of rebuilding it.

Our Country's current electricity problem - the government was informed 5 years ago that this was going to happen. Why wasn't something done about it?? Lack of experience in a managerial position.

Why are our local municipalities going bankrupt? Lack of experience - misuse of funds and fraud.

And so the list goes on.

Apartheid was wrong - no doubt about it but what we have now is also apartheid - just the other way around. One would have thought that having been on the recieving end of it, the blacks would realise that it didn't work then so it won't work now.

We ALL need to stand together to rebuild our Country. That means employing the right person for the job, not the right colour.

Guest Guest

Well said Proudly South African!

People here in England just don`t understand what it is really like for us young South Africans. We have no jobs to look forward to, no social life because we are too bloody scared to venture out of our Fort Knox like homes. Unless one has either lived or visited SA they have no clue, only what the media ALLOWS them to see. Saying that, we can`t even trust what we see in the media, I remember propaganda pics in the 1980`s where photographers from abroad threw money into bins to get young black children to climb in and *dig* for, saying they were digging for food! White kids would do that too given half the chance!

I am exhausted in trying to excuse the *sins of the fathers* and having to defend myself against every tom, dick, harry and sally who wants to have a go at ME for oppressing the blacks and how I took their land away from them! God, what a powerful 35 year old white woman I am!

As I said, no wonder we get onto the first flight out, to where ever we can go. I miss my home, my Country and my family but my sanity is important to me and I will no longer suffer for the Sins of the Fathers!

Yet another South African

I am exhausted in trying to excuse the *sins of the fathers* and having to defend myself against every tom, dick, harry and sally who wants to have a go at ME for oppressing the blacks and how I took their land away from them! God, what a powerful 35 year old white woman I am!

Maybe you should have a personal Holywood story on the E! channel.

Guest Guest

Maybe you should have a personal Holywood story on the E! channel.

Isn`t it funny that when people don`t really have anything worthwhile to say thay have to resort to sarcasm?

I'm getting more and more confused because of the direction this thread has taken. Young, eloquent, concerned and obviously well-educated South-Africans (all of them white, typically) are telling us their country has gone downhill ever since the end of apartheid. Hmm, yeah, I bet things were better when their fathers and grandfathers ruled the country by claiming all the benefits for themselves... Leaving the blacks inferior education, inferior health care, inferior public services, inferior jobs, inferior food, inferior water, inferior roads and inferior houses turn out to have been miscalculations now those blacks are in charge. No, really! If you consider all this, it's a shame the 'Groot Krokodil' ever had to step down from office!

None of the Botha-criticasters on this forum ever stated that the abolition of apartheid can be considered a complete success. I've never visited South-Africa, but I'm well aware of the huge problems that the country still has to overcome. However, I firmly disagree with any suggestion that apartheid should not have been abolished in the first place. Of course mistakes have been made, and of course some processes might have gone way too fast, but a civil war was avoided and even the most vicious racists among the apartheid-government had a chance to start with a clean sheet only if they cooperated with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, no matter how much blood was on their hands. Yeah, things could have gone better for the white upper-class, but you have been a bunch of lucky bastards not to have been hanged on the spot in 1990-1994. Instead of looking back nostalgically to the good old days you should be working hard to clean the mess your fathers left.

Guest chickenscominghometoroost

well said Tomb Raider, its reassuring to hear kindred spirits.

White South Africans: stay at home for 50 years and contribute to resolving the evils you have created, then we might consider welcoming you overseas.

working on the accent might help too......

I wonder if any of our South African visitors could shed any light on the Nick Du Toit situation? I have him selected on my deadpool this year and I am anxiously waiting for news on his health.

So PW has gone on his final “voortrek.”

History will undoubtedly and deservedly condemn him and his fellow NP members for their brutality and repression under apartheid but will Mandela, Mbeki and their successors be contrastingly favoured? I'm not sure.

Mandela's spirit could be detected in the work of the Truth & Reconciliation Commission, and as others have said this no doubt prevented civil war, but Mbeki and other ANC leaders such as Zuma are NOT Mandelas. Corruption, murder, in-fighting, jobs for the boys, poor public services and the mismanagement of the AIDS epidemic are not good signs.

The monolithic edifice of a one party state is not beneficial whether it's in Africa or elsewhere. As in Zimbabwe, the key issue is how the SA Government (read the ANC) handle the subject of land reform.

Perhaps some sort of balance (as well as an additional deathlist success) could be achieved if Mandela popped his clogs in the final months of this year.

By the way, I for one, and I concede I may be the only one, like the South African accent. I much prefer their sonorous tones to the phlegm coated, guttural whinings of say the Scousers or the disinterested, lethargic vowels of our friends in the West Midlands.

Isn`t it funny that when people don`t really have anything worthwhile to say thay have to resort to sarcasm?

Now i'm beginning to understand that you try to prevent violance from children on TV. You attempt to be reasonable and with your ideas and suggestions you feel as if you can overcome all obstacals. Wrong!

Bite me. sarcasm is my middle name. I can get more nasty then Honez is for grammar perfection, more then Typhoid Harry can get for cruel jokes and strict authority, more then the intimidating Anubis The Jackal can become once you post a foolish remark, I make The Four Horseman and even Cowboy Ronnie who is always on the ball look like they were born yesterday. Especially when i'm drunk. B)

So dig it.