weasel

Star Wars Deaths

Harrison Ford injured in small plane crash

Not specified if its the plane that's small or the crash.

• Like 1

Or

The man suffered "moderate trauma" and his condition was "fair to moderate".

unless the BBC are getting their news reports confused with the shipping forecast.

• Like 4

Sounds like he will be fine but one lucky dude

SC

SC

Looking at that photograph, I think skill had more of a part to play.

SC

Looking at that photograph, I think skill had more of a part to play.

Let's make no mistake: This is God saying "oh NO fucking way!" to the storyboarded Blade Runner remake.

SC

• Like 1

Seems to be a fair number of light aircraft crashes recently in the U.S.

Most of them are due to mechanical failure rather than pilot error. From what I've read the scheduled checks aren't as thorough as they would be in the U.K.

This is part of the reason I quit flying when I moved here.

Sounds like he will be fine. I couldn't have coped with losing Han Solo/Rick Deckard and Spock within the same week. :blink:

Interesting that he almost died in real life with all the rumours circulating that Han Solo will die in SW7.

Most of them are due to mechanical failure rather than pilot error. From what I've read the scheduled checks aren't as thorough as they would be in the U.K.

It was an old vintage World War 2 plane. I think anyone trusting their lives in a vehicle of such age - even with stringent safety checks - is a bit of a fool to be honest.

Near where I live, several companies offer Tiger Moth flights. One crashed last year, killing a tourist.

It was an old vintage World War 2 plane. I think anyone trusting their lives in a vehicle of such age - even with stringent safety checks - is a bit of a fool to be honest.

Near where I live, several companies offer Tiger Moth flights. One crashed last year, killing a tourist.

I've flown in G-ACDC and G-ASKP both Tiger Moths DH82a that fly out of Headcorn

The Tiger Club have very strict stringent checks when it comes to those and all of their aircraft. G-ACDC was the 3rd Tiger Moth off the assembly line and the oldest operational Tiger Moth in the world.

• Like 1

The Tiger Club have very strict stringent checks when it comes to those and all of their aircraft. G-ACDC was the 3rd Tiger Moth off the assembly line and the oldest operational Tiger Moth in the world.

That's cool. I still wouldn't risk my rump in one. :D

BTW, a few years ago, I watched a "How to Fly a Tiger Moth" video from the 1930s on YouTube which is the closest I will ever come to learning how to fly. I think the thing that scared me the most was the fuel line on them. You have that one tiny piece of hose sending fuel to the engine. If that were blocked or broke, I guess that'd be it. :( You'd just have to hope you could glide your way down safely and hope there was a bit of a clearing somewhere around to land in.

That's cool. I still wouldn't risk my rump in one. :D

BTW, a few years ago, I watched a "How to Fly a Tiger Moth" video from the 1930s on YouTube which is the closest I will ever come to learning how to fly. I think the thing that scared me the most was the fuel line on them. You have that one tiny piece of hose sending fuel to the engine. If that were blocked or broke, I guess that'd be it. :( You'd just have to hope you could glide your way down safely and hope there was a bit of a clearing somewhere around to land in.

they can glide a fair distance, there were plenty of fields to choose from in the event of an emergency. I'm personally shit scared of heights, but being 5,000ft up with a 4-strap Sutton harness keeping me in my seat with an open cockpit and doing loop-the-loops didn't scare me one bit.

The most unnerving thing that happened to me during a flight was a solo flight during my training. I was in the circuit, hit an air pocket and my door flew open. Thankfully I was strapped in my seat, and I was able to reach out and pull it shut before the final approach. But that was in a Cessna 152

Practice Force Landing is something you do rather a lot of when learning to fly. In theory at any rate you can put a small Cessna 152 (What I learnt in many years ago) or something similar into a field and walk away. How true that turns out to be in practice may well be another matter, spotting what looks like a smooth field from 3000ft agl or so isn't a cakewalk and there's electric wires and other things to consider, but it can be and is done if not routinely, not that rarely either.

It's a far different story in something the size of a commercial jet, although perhaps surprisingly (or maybe not) that has also been done, see this (I remember the levee one from the examples at the bottom).

Edit since phantom posted at the same time nearly: I suffer badly from 'vertigo' as well, but as best I can make out it's not terribly rational (beyond the obvious), I have had terrible vertigo in the Eiffel Tower and similar structures, and even at ground level in a tall building with a high atrium whilst looking up..

But never, ever in a plane. Can't really explain why, just is. Make of that what you will.

Practice Force Landing is something you do rather a lot of when learning to fly. In theory at any rate you can put a small Cessna 152 (What I learnt in many years ago) or something similar into a field and walk away. How true that turns out to be in practice may well be another matter, spotting what looks like a smooth field from 3000ft agl or so isn't a cakewalk and there's electric wires and other things to consider, but it can be and is done if not routinely, not that rarely either.

It's a far different story in something the size of a commercial jet, although perhaps surprisingly (or maybe not) that has also been done, see this (I remember the levee one from the examples at the bottom).

Edit since phantom posted at the same time nearly: I suffer badly from 'vertigo' as well, but as best I can make out it's not terribly rational (beyond the obvious), I have had terrible vertigo in the Eiffel Tower and similar structures, and even at ground level in a tall building with a high atrium whilst looking up..

But never, ever in a plane. Can't really explain why, just is. Make of that what you will.

I'm the exact same.

• Like 1

I've been told by a glider pilot (who flies 747s for KLM in his spare time) that the difference is that you ordinarily sit in a plane, rather than stand. Apparently the vertigo muscles don't work well then.

Some friends of mine are glider pilots. In that business deadstick landings are quite popular. When those friends attempt overland flights they need assistance for when they land 'out', i.e. not on an airfield. I've been a member of the team that retrieves glider and pilot several times.

I soon learned that choosing a suitable landing spot is not an exact science. Apart from visible and invisible obstacles (fences, ditches, trees, livestock), what looks smooth from the air isn't always. Precision landings are part of pilot training, but nevertheless accidents with damage to glider or pilot are common, sometimes fatal.

One friend mistook a field of maize for grass. He wasn't hurt, but his glider was. It also wasn't white anymore. Another one got in trouble when he landed in a field that sloped down. His flight ended in a wire fence.

• Like 1

I suffer badly from vertigo, just going up a ladder to clean the gutters makes me feel disorientated. But a few thousand feet up in an aircraft and I'm perfectly fine. I didn't have any adverse affects going to the top of the tower at Canary Wharf while it was still being built, possibly because I had a safety harness on. I'm usually fine as long as there's a barrier that's above waist height.

Part of it, like Magere Hein says is that you sit in an aircraft rather than stand. Although saying that, being in a helicopter is a different experience as you're tilted slightly forward and the winshield is a lot bigger. So even though you're strapped in, you have the feeling of falling forward. I flew a Piper Warrior to an pilot get-together one time and then a friend of mine took me up in his helicopter to do a flight over Stonehenge. I had to rest for an hour to get my bearings back before I could get back in the Warrior for the flight back to my home airfield.

• Like 1

Helicopters, now that's a forced landing when the engine quits :shock2:.

Contrary to what some believe and also perhaps seems intuitive they can keep flying after a fashion with no power by doing something called auto-rotation, but the glide ratio is a touch steep, somewhere around 4:1, that said you don't exactly need a long strip of flat ground either so perhaps it's swings and roundabouts. Not something I fancy a go at mind you.

I think the word that describes it, is "plummet"

• Like 1

No it ain't.

No it ain't.

I was thinking more in the ways of this forced landing

My experience with helicopters is singular, be it an interesting one. I was flown in one of those large jobs to a heavy lift ship out in the North Sea. It was rather windy, so the ride wasn't comfy. Apart from several cases of other passengers being noisily sick, the fligth was uneventful. I can't imagine an auto-rotation landing being a good one, in the sense of one you walk away from.

Edited by Magere Hein
Strike that

Well, I learned one thing today:- I probably shan't be using the "shocked" smiley again. One off isn't so bad, but quoted a few times and it starts to get annoying. How far off topic can I go? Just watch me.

• Like 1

No it ain't.

Sorry Phantom but from the video it's clear the helicopter wasn't plummeting towards the ground; had it done so, everyone would have died and no one did.

"Landed on it's side" says the reporter; the official NTSB enquiry begs to differ. It landed upright, then bounced and flipped over. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20130827X74159&ntsbno=CEN13LA507&akey=1

No it ain't.

Sorry Phantom but from the video it's clear the helicopter wasn't plummeting towards the ground; had it done so, everyone would have died and no one did.

"Landed on it's side" says the reporter; the official NTSB enquiry begs to differ. It landed upright, then bounced and flipped over. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20130827X74159&ntsbno=CEN13LA507&akey=1

plum·met
ˈpləmət/
noun
  1. 1.
    a steep and rapid fall or drop.
    I think it can be classed as a rapid fall or drop.

No it ain't.

plum·met
ˈpləmət/
noun
  1. 1.

It wasn't steep and it wasn't rapid; read the full report.

No it ain't.

plum·met
ˈpləmət/
noun
  1. 1.

It wasn't steep and it wasn't rapid; read the full report.

It was a lot quicker than if they were landing in the standard manner. I would still class it as a plummet