Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

Dual (1965, 70) Irish Flat Champion jockey George McGrath dies aged 79. Also won four Irish Classics.

• Like 1

Apprentice jockey Wesley Joyce remains in intensive care in hospital following his fall at Galway on Thursday, where he sustained major chest trauma. 

Joyce, 19, was riding Red Heel for Michael Mulvany when he was unseated early in the Arthur Guinness Irish EBF Corrib Fillies Stakes, a seven-furlong Listed event.

SC

Taiki Yanagida, a rider based in New Zealand, died days after he was trampled and run over by horses at Cambridge Jockey Club.

He always carried a horseshoe for good luck, so here’s about 20.

SC

Jim Wilson who rode Little Owl to victory in the 1981 Cheltenham Gold Cup as an amateur has died aged 72 according to multiple horse racing sources on Twitter. 

• Like 2

On 02/01/2022 at 12:38, Deathrace said:

Some information on a US racehorse still going at 39 https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/its-very-rarefied-stratosphere-thoroughbred-still-living-high-life-aged-39/530184

Also noticed trainer Nigel Tinkler posted a photo of 1993 Chester Cup winner Rodeo Star on Twitter who is now 36. 

Both ancient in the equine world. 

Dead Solid Perfect still going nearly a year on from this post. Will turn 40 in January.

The record for a thoroughbred racehorse was Tango Duke (42), who died way back in 1978.

I'm afraid Dead Solid Perfect has snuffed it, though did outlive his quarter horse companion.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/ill-treasure-him-all-my-life-durable-thoroughbred-dies-aged-39-and-188-days/587879

• Sad 2

Photo of Willie Carson celebrating his 80th birthday. He looks like he shouldn't trouble the list for a few years. 

FhbVdDrWQAAN5ql.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Photo of Willie Carson celebrating his 80th birthday. He looks like he shouldn't trouble the list for a few years. 

FhbVdDrWQAAN5ql.jpeg.jpg

Looks fantastic in that photo, would easily pass for 10-15 years younger. Unless there is any health issues it will indeed be a long time before he makes the list.

• Like 1

Mick Easterby (the oldest trainer who still has a licence - albeit only jointly) was at the final York meeting of the year. Did seem a tad more frail on his feet than some previous years but still looked very alert and capable for a man of his frame & age combination. Didn't snab a picture, was focusing more on the horses on that front, but don't think he's a great proposition for 2023 lists (for all he will obit, and many outside of racing circles wouldn't anticipate that).

Mick Channon giving up the licence is somewhat concerning to me. Obviously there's the Sun article hightlighting his Bowel Cancer (or-post Bowel cancer - the current status is left a tad ambiguous at least when I skimmed the piece) but surely he'd have been a golden candidate to introduce a joint licence when the BHA introduced them. By all accounts, his son has been involved for a while and thus this development seems a tad more serious than is, perhaps, being let on.

Oliver Sherwood sounds a lot better than last April, just watching his RTV interview after Queens Gamble won the other day. Not a complete longshot for next year but I'd say the interview is strong enough to count him out of Deathrace calculations.

Backed a horse of Stella Barclay's at Wolverhampton on Saturday and noticed Alan Berry had given up training (the horse had arrived to her from his yard). Son of the famous Jack Berry so might get an obit at the very periphery of a broadsheet column of some description. Got no evidence to suggest it was illness related (quite frankly, he was a fairly lacklustre trainer - admittedly one that got embroiled in some minor controversy around 2009). In case it isn't something economically related thought I'd flag the name up in case somebody wanted to do some digging.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I believe this makes 2002 Grand National winner Bindaree the oldest current living Grand National winner at 28. 

• Like 1

Living Grand National winners, and their ages by the time of the 2023 edition (please note, in racing every Northern Hemisphere horse has the same birthday - 1st January irrespective of the precise date they were foaled):

2022 - Noble Yeats (8, still in training)

2021 - Minella Times (10, still in training)

2020 - NO RACE

2019 - Tiger Roll (13, retired)

2018 - See Above

2017 - One For Arthur (14, retired)

2016 - Rule The World (16, retired)

2014 - Pineau De Re (20, retired)

2013 - Auroras Encore (21, retired)

2012 - Neptune Collonges (22, retired)

2011 - Ballabriggs (22, retired)

2010 - Don't Push It (23, retired)

2009 - Mon Mome (23, retired)

2007 - Silver Birch (26, retired)

2006 - Numbersixvalverde (27, retired)

2005 - Hedgehunter (27, retired)

2002 - Bindaree (29, retired)

Whilst on the subject of the National, Oliver Sherwood (2015 winning trainer) was interviewed on Luck On Sunday. Seems reasonably well, if a little prickly over losing his yard in Lambourn (he has since moved in to Charlie Mann's old place). Confirms that the cancer was a Lymphoma and that he got the all clear on the 16th April. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, nantonian2013 said:

Living Grand National winners, and their ages by the time of the 2023 edition (please note, in racing every Northern Hemisphere horse has the same birthday - 1st January irrespective of the precise date they were foaled):

2022 - Noble Yeats (8, still in training)

2021 - Minella Times (10, still in training)

2020 - NO RACE

2019 - Tiger Roll (13, retired)

2018 - See Above

2017 - One For Arthur (14, retired)

2016 - Rule The World (16, retired)

2014 - Pineau De Re (20, retired)

2013 - Auroras Encore (21, retired)

2012 - Neptune Collonges (22, retired)

2011 - Ballabriggs (22, retired)

2010 - Don't Push It (23, retired)

2009 - Mon Mome (23, retired)

2007 - Silver Birch (26, retired)

2006 - Numbersixvalverde (27, retired)

2005 - Hedgehunter (27, retired)

2002 - Bindaree (29, retired)

Whilst on the subject of the National, Oliver Sherwood (2015 winning trainer) was interviewed on Luck On Sunday. Seems reasonably well, if a little prickly over losing his yard in Lambourn (he has since moved in to Charlie Mann's old place). Confirms that the cancer was a Lymphoma and that he got the all clear on the 16th April. 

In context, the oldest living Grand National winner I'm aware of is 1984 winner Hallo Dandy who lived to be 33.  Also great to see Oliver Sherwood looking a lot healthier. 

• Like 1

Prominent mare racehorse Weggy Board Luigi Board Quiche Board Ouija Board has died at 21.

Known for her wins in the Epsom Oaks, Irish Oaks, and Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf in 2004, and two-time winner of the Cartier Horse of the Year award (2004 and 2006).

(For those who don't understand why I misspelled the name)

• Like 1

Jim Bolger (who turns 81 on Christmas Day) interviewed the other day. Looks and sounds in fine fettle and still training of course. 

• Like 2

Shaun Keightley has died aged 62. Got warned off all the way back in 2005, and ended up assistant at Peter Hedger (who died himself a few weeks ago). Returned for a 2nd stint training, I believe at the establishment currently occupied by Darryll Holland. 

Rory Delargy diagnosed with Stage 2 Prostate Cancer. Wouldn't say he's a QO chance if the worst occurred although quite possible he'd get a few words in the Guardian as he's rather popular within racing circles. Most well known for his appearances on William Hill Radio and his column for the Sporting Life website (presumably would get a mention there if he passed)

Tweet here.

50 minutes ago, nantonian2013 said:

Rory Delargy diagnosed with Stage 2 Prostate Cancer. Wouldn't say he's a QO chance if the worst occurred although quite possible he'd get a few words in the Guardian as he's rather popular within racing circles. Most well known for his appearances on William Hill Radio and his column for the Sporting Life website (presumably would get a mention there if he passed)

Tweet here.

Don't know who he is, I had to look him up.  And this caught my eye:

" Rory Delargy has been an avid follower of horseracing since the days when the ITV dream team was made up of Dickie Davies, Brough Scott and John Oaksey, and the equine stars were Night Nurse, Sea Pigeon and Shergar. "

Dickie Davies? John Rickman, surely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Don't know who he is, I had to look him up.  And this caught my eye:

" Rory Delargy has been an avid follower of horseracing since the days when the ITV dream team was made up of Dickie Davies, Brough Scott and John Oaksey, and the equine stars were Night Nurse, Sea Pigeon and Shergar. "

Dickie Davies? John Rickman, surely.

A reminder that Dickie Davies is still breathing aged 89. Brough Scott is now 80 incidentally but still occasionally turns up on ITV's racing coverage. 

• Like 3

Duke Of Firenze has been retired

Absolute legend of a horse, fantastic longevity and some may remember his exploits at Epsom over the years. Raced 134 times initially starting with Sir Michael Stoute (he turns 78 this year, but is still training albeit with a steadily declining string and seemed in fine fettle with during an interview last year - where he was uncharacteristically chatty). Most will associate Duke Of Firenze with David Griffiths who does a good job with older sprinters.

Hope he has a long retirement.

On 03/01/2023 at 14:18, Deathrace said:

A reminder that Dickie Davies is still breathing aged 89. Brough Scott is now 80 incidentally but still occasionally turns up on ITV's racing coverage. 

I remember Brough Scott on the coverage a year or two ago, a cold day at Ascot or somesuch. He progressively disappeared further into his coat the longer the afternoon went on. There was just a pair of eyes at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/01/2023 at 14:18, Deathrace said:

Reported as dead by Jim Rosenthal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1