Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

I fell for this fucker and plonked him on my main DDP team.

The media seem to have backed off Kate Keltie, but it did seem at one point there were sussing her 'miracious' recovery.

On 30/05/2022 at 19:48, Deathrace said:

For the hell of it, here's the Grand National equivalent to the best of my knowledge:

1960 - Gerry Scott (b. 1938)

1966 - Tim Norman (b. 1944)

1969 - Eddie Harty (b. 1937)

1972 - Graham Thorner (b. 1949)

1977 - Tommy Stack (b. 1945)

1978 - Bob Davies (b. 1946)

1979 - Maurice Barnes (b. 1951)

1980 - Charlie Fenwick (b. 1948)

1981 - Bob Champion (b. 1948)

1983 - Ben De Haan (b. 1959) 

Telegraph Obit for Tim Norman, winner of the 1966 National on 50-1 outsider Anglo by 20 lengths: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/09/14/tim-norman-jockey-1966-grand-national-anglo-aintree/

• Like 3

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Telegraph Obit for Tim Norman, winner of the 1966 National on 50-1 outsider Anglo by 20 lengths: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/09/14/tim-norman-jockey-1966-grand-national-anglo-aintree/

Following Tim Norman's death, Neale Doughty steps up: 

1960 - Gerry Scott (b. 1938)

1969 - Eddie Harty (b. 1937)

1972 - Graham Thorner (b. 1949)

1977 - Tommy Stack (b. 1945)

1978 - Bob Davies (b. 1946)

1979 - Maurice Barnes (b. 1951)

1980 - Charlie Fenwick (b. 1948)

1981 - Bob Champion (b. 1948)

1983 - Ben De Haan (b. 1959) 

1984 - Neale Doughty (b. 1957)

• Like 2

Atle Hamre, controversial Norwegian horse racer, trainer and fraudster who has since 2009 been banned from Norwegian harness racing for life (includes spectating too, apparently) is in extreme heart failure with maybe a week or two to live without a heart transplant. 

6 hours ago, arghton said:

Atle Hamre, controversial Norwegian horse racer, trainer and fraudster who has since 2009 been banned from Norwegian harness racing for life (includes spectating too, apparently) is in extreme heart failure with maybe a week or two to live without a heart transplant. 

Can he hang on til Advent Avalanche?

Tommy Kinane, champion hurdle winning jockey (and father of Mick) has died aged 90.

• Like 2

Jessica Harrington, who had cancer earlier in the year, out in America for the Breeders Cup meeting. Wouldn't have her on my shortlist for 2024. 

• Like 1

Trainer David Brown has passed away at 79. He had a rather unconventional route into training, going to night school whilst a member of stable staff and setting up a company. Didn't have vast numbers towards the end, although I believe that was a conscious choice as much as anything. Had a decent sprint handicapper a few years back called Four Wheel Drive (who ended up in Bahrain, not to be confused with an American racehorse of the same name). 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Grand national winner Graham Lee in intensive care with a neck injury after a fall off a horse at Newcastle Racecourse. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/67210534

Bitterly ironic that after surviving all those falls as a jump jockey he suffers his most serious injury after opting for the relative safety of the Flat.

Former Newmarket trainer Clive Britain looking in pretty bad shape.

Definitely on the 2024 List for me

On 11/11/2023 at 13:25, SovietJohnny said:

Former Newmarket trainer Clive Britain looking in pretty bad shape.

Definitely on the 2024 List for me

In most of my teams this year, but does appear to still have his marbles. 

• Like 1

Protectionist, the 2014 Melbourne Cup winner has died at 13. Hasn't been massively supported at stud, despite being based in his native Germany whose industry values stamina far more than British and Irish breeders. 

2 hours ago, nantonian2013 said:

Protectionist, the 2014 Melbourne Cup winner has died at 13. Hasn't been massively supported at stud, despite being based in his native Germany whose industry values stamina far more than British and Irish breeders. 

Ironic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/12/2023 at 13:14, Deathrace said:

Callaghan is most famous for training Danehill Dancer who has become very influential as a stallion (albeit not as influential as his father - Danehill). His training career was before my time, but seemed he actually did better in the mid 2000s after a blip at the end of the 1990s. There would be definite theme team potential if someone knew the precise composition of various Suffolk nursing homes, albeit most would be Hares obits rather than DDP material. 

1 hour ago, nantonian2013 said:

Callaghan is most famous for training Danehill Dancer who has become very influential as a stallion (albeit not as influential as his father - Danehill). His training career was before my time, but seemed he actually did better in the mid 2000s after a blip at the end of the 1990s. There would be definite theme team potential if someone knew the precise composition of various Suffolk nursing homes, albeit most would be Hares obits rather than DDP material. 

I had a theme team "Toast Of The Turf" in the DDP for a few years.

• Like 2

Nigel Twiston-Davies' assistant Richard Bevis is in an induced coma following a farming accident. His brother is also a small trainer up in Cheshire, on initial glance I thought the article might be about him. 

14 hours ago, nantonian2013 said:

Nigel Twiston-Davies' assistant Richard Bevis is in an induced coma following a farming accident. His brother is also a small trainer up in Cheshire, on initial glance I thought the article might be about him. 

‘Sparky’ not so spunky.

• Like 1