Earl Gloomy

Horse Racing

Guest Guest_Armitage Shanks_*

Och aye the noo and where's ma troosers! I have a sneaking fancy that Tartan Trader is the beast to back in tomorrow's Derby. The Trader is currently trading at a tasty 13/2 with our Irish chums Paddy Power.

All the best,

APS.

ed_imgSNN0423I_241649a.jpg

Och aye the noo and where's ma troosers! I have a sneaking fancy that Tartan Trader is the beast to back in tomorrow's Derby. The Trader is currently trading at a tasty 13/2 with our Irish chums Paddy Power.

All the best,

APS.

ed_imgSNN0423I_241649a.jpg

That would be Tartan Bearer.

It's currently (12.30am):

5/1 with stingy Ladbrokes, 11-2 generally and 6/1 with Bet365.

The BBC Derby preview show had one pundit expecting it to go off as 9/2 Favourite

• Like 1

Guest Guest_Armitage Shanks_*
That would be Tartan Bearer.

Well spotted, sir. Humble apologies. Lunchtime drinkies...

Guest artemis flanks

In the Belmont, at 10-1, it's Ichabad Crane - by a head.

c9caqo7t0ucaqame0mca92bqz8.jpg

In the Belmont, at 10-1, it's Ichabad Crane - by a head.

c9caqo7t0ucaqame0mca92bqz8.jpg

Can't oppose Big Brown and the triple crown

Big Brown wins the Preakness in a hack canter and is on course to be the first horse since Affirmed in 1978 to win the Triple Crown. Since then, ten have gone to the Belmont with a chance and all have failed.

Dismal failure.

The story has highlighted the steroids issue in US horse racing - looks like they're on the way out.

Guest Cyril Sneer

Robert Kubica is 6-1 to win the Canadian Grand Prix - an each-way bet (top 2) at £10 could get you £50 maximum. Considering its his favourite track, and he's 2nd, I think that's a good bet.

Robert Kubica is 6-1 to win the Canadian Grand Prix - an each-way bet (top 2) at £10 could get you £50 maximum. Considering its his favourite track, and he's 2nd, I think that's a good bet.

Congratulations Cyril. You're a f*****g genius.

Predicting who will win tomorrow's Italian GP is a bit of a lottery.. depends on wet/dry/1st lap chaos.

But it's worth a stab at 66-1 on an each-way to finish in the top 3 for Timo Glock.

Good in the rain, in good form & in a decent position in a heavily fuelled car.

Just 2.50 each way could earn £203 maximum return. Not bad, me thinks...

Now watch him spin out on the 1st lap....

Predicting who will win tomorrow's Italian GP is a bit of a lottery.. depends on wet/dry/1st lap chaos.

But it's worth a stab at 66-1 on an each-way to finish in the top 3 for Timo Glock.

Good in the rain, in good form & in a decent position in a heavily fuelled car.

Just 2.50 each way could earn £203 maximum return. Not bad, me thinks...

Now watch him spin out on the 1st lap....

Thanks for that. <_<

Guest Artemis Flanks
I'm off to Sandown Park tomorrow, no doubt to fritter away the monthly pay on three-legged donkeys, overpriced Guinness and inedible burgers.

Any tips Armitage, Artemis or anyone else?

c9caqo7t0ucaqame0mca92bwg6.jpg

That is a tough one, but since Armitage has not graced us with a reply, I'll pass along one of his tips. See, it's a tricky business but you have to take about 2- 1/2 swigs of ale (or beer in my case) for every bite of burger, before and after swallowing. That should do it.

Guest Armitage Shanks
I'm off to Sandown Park tomorrow, no doubt to fritter away the monthly pay on three-legged donkeys, overpriced Guinness and inedible burgers.

Any tips Armitage, Artemis or anyone else?

c9caqo7t0ucaqame0mca92bwg6.jpg

That is a tough one, but since Armitage has not graced us with a reply, I'll pass along one of his tips. See, it's a tricky business but you have to take about 2- 1/2 swigs of ale (or beer in my case) for every bite of burger, before and after swallowing. That should do it.

Armitage isn't the sort to let an old chum down. Here you go, McNally:

12.50 Clay Hollister

1.25 Free World

2.00 Araldur

2.35 Master Minded

3.05 Hernando Royal (e/w)

3.35 Kilbeggan Blade

Nice to see the liver's holding out, Artie. Take care, old boy.

Best,

Armitage.

q705123677_2731.jpg

Armitage isn't the sort to let an old chum down. Here you go, McNally:

12.50 Clay Hollister won 9/4

1.25 Free World

2.00 Araldur won 11/4

2.35 Master Minded won 4/7

3.05 Hernando Royal (e/w) 4th 7/1

3.35 Kilbeggan Blade won 6/1

Nice to see the liver's holding out, Artie. Take care, old boy.

Best,

Armitage.

q705123677_2731.jpg

Thanks, Shanks. Merry Christmas.

Guest Armitage Shanks

Ah Cheltenham, so much to answer for.

In a bit of a rush - got to snag a lift in JP's helicopter - so I'll keep it brief and offer up a few suggestions for the first day of the world's greatest racing festival:

1.30 Cousin Vinny

2.05 Calgary Bay

3.20 Osana

4.40 Chomba Womba

Must dash, there's a Guinness with Army's name on it waiting at the Cotswold Grange...

Ever yours, AP Shanks

q705123677_2731.jpg

Ah Cheltenham, so much to answer for.

In a bit of a rush - got to snag a lift in JP's helicopter - so I'll keep it brief and offer up a few suggestions for the first day of the world's greatest racing festival:

1.30 Cousin Vinny

2.05 Calgary Bay

3.20 Osana

4.40 Chomba Womba

Must dash, there's a Guinness with Army's name on it waiting at the Cotswold Grange...

Ever yours, AP Shanks

My ante-post LAID selections for Tuesday (placed on Paddy Power) are:

1.30 Cousin Vinny 3/1 (£50 to win)

2.05 Kalahari King 12/1 (£10 E/W)

2.40 Millenium Royal 9/1 (£10 E/W) if placed 5th or above.

3.20 Binocular 15/8 (£200 win)

4.00 Lami 9/4 (£100 win)

4.40 Quevega 5/2 (£100 win)

I'm not advertising Paddy Power, but...if you take the price and it drifts out, they pay the bigger SP. That's why I grab their prices. God knows how low or big these prices will be when they start.

Good luck to us all. :referee:

1.30 Cousin Vinny 3/1 (£50 to win) Nowhere

2.05 Kalahari King 12/1 (£10 E/W) close 2nd

2.40 Millenium Royal 9/1 (£10 E/W) Nowhere.

3.20 Binocular 15/8 (£200 win) close 3rd *

4.00 Lami 9/4 (£100 win) a 2nd, more fishy than a Goody kebab.....

4.40 Quevega 5/2 (£100 win) winner

* Luckily, I added an E/W bet on Punjabi for teh same race and it came in at 22/1....phew!

There were some fantastic fights to the finish today and the highlights are on Channel 4 tonight. I don't think I've ever seen a better run than Wichita Linesman's win in the 2.40pm....phenomenal. (McCoy will probably get fined for overuse of the whip.)

Guest Armitage Shanks

Off to Aintree in the morning and as I don't have one of those laptop thingamajigs I thought I'd post a couple of National tips afore I go.

Irish Invader, currently trading at 26/1 on Betfair.

Kilbeggan Blade, 25/1.

Good luck everyone,

COME RACING!

Army Shanks

mccririck140.jpg

Off to Aintree in the morning and as I don't have one of those laptop thingamajigs I thought I'd post a couple of National tips afore I go.

Irish Invader, currently trading at 26/1 on Betfair.

Kilbeggan Blade, 25/1.

Good luck everyone,

COME RACING!

Army Shanks

mccririck140.jpg

With all this financial crisis going on I wouldn't be surprised if Offshore Account (33/1) crosses the line first.

There's always a story every year at the Grand National. Remember Party Politics winning 5 days before the General Election in 1992?

Guest Armitage Shanks

Well, well, well, it's been an absolute aeon since I dropped in to impart a little wisdom de la wager to all my chums at the Deathlist. And before you ask, no, I've not been detained at the pleasure of her Madge - that little incident with the dwarves and the rohipnol in Soho was just a teensy weensy misunderstanding that was all cleared up most satisfactorily at a delicious luncheon with the Chief Superintendent and his dear lady wife.

Moving swiftly on - a word.

GOLF!

One of the three dullest activities known to man, I'm sure you'll agree. Playing the damn thing is hellacious enough (one is occasionally forced to participate while, how shall we put this, greasing the wheels in delicate deals), but watching it on the television?! 100 faceless Americans in sweaters even dear old Ronnie Corbett would secrete away at the back of his closet for shame.

The only way of sustaining the interest is (yes, you've guessed it, you little clever clogs, you) by making a small financial investment on the outcome, naturally. Which is where your pal Armitage comes in, riding to the rescue on the white steed of highly-informed golfing analysis.

To whit, here are four tasty tips to get your teeth into for tomorrow's British Open (ignoring, as we must for value's sake, Mr T Woods): Hunter Mahan @ 33/1, Geoff Ogilvy @ 40/1, Ian Poulter @ 33/1 (do stop sN-wording at the back) and Henrik Stenson @ 28/1.

Must dash, I can hear the waspish sonorous tones of Mrs S informing me that the grilled salmon with habanero-lime butter has arrived at the dinner table.

I shall be at Lingfield this Saturday, selecting a bagful of winners, should anyone care to say hello in person.

Until the next time,

AP Shanks.

1mccririckPA_40x40.jpg

The Mali vs Angola match at the African Cup of Nations produced a poor result for one UK based punter yesterday. Angola were leading 4-0 with only 15 minutes left to play, so a bright spark decided to place a sizable wager of £4400 that Angola would go on to win the match, if they had done so, he would have made a profit of £44. Of course Mali then scored four goals in the last eleven minutes to secure a draw, thereby depriving the hapless gambler of his savings.

More here:

http://forum.fm-view.com/topic/10912-i-admit-it/

(Nice to see his mates being so sympathetic)

The Mali vs Angola match at the African Cup of Nations produced a poor result for one UK based punter yesterday. Angola were leading 4-0 with only 15 minutes left to play, so a bright spark decided to place a sizable wager of £4400 that Angola would go on to win the match, if they had done so, he would have made a profit of £44. Of course Mali then scored four goals in the last eleven minutes to secure a draw, thereby depriving the hapless gambler of his savings.

More here:

http://forum.fm-view.com/topic/10912-i-admit-it/

(Nice to see his mates being so sympathetic)

DDT thanks for posting that. Made my day.

I finally followed the link and this has now been posted.

Hi. Erm, I don't know what to say really.

I guess I'll start with the truth, this was meant as a joke between myself and a certain member (!) on FM-View, I wasn't about much yesterday - believe it or not students do have to work - but come on today to see 135,000 views on this thread, facebook pages, mentions on radio shows and emails from The Sun wanting my story. I am beginning to think I should have placed this bet, I'd be in profit with the donations as well... :tumbleweed:

Nah in all seriousness, I haven't lost or gained a penny, I haven't ever bet on the Africa Cup of Nations and don't wish to start now. The joke started on MSN with myself and another member when we saw it was 4-0 and I jokingly said about going all in on it, when it finished 4-4 I couldn't resist posting up that fake screenshot that was on the Betfair forums (also fake) about 20 minutes before I posted here.

Sorry people, but there's no big story here, just a joke that's spread like wildfire while I've been away. Seemingly killed the server too? Apologies admin. A donation fund, however much I'd appreciate it, won't be necessary, despite the kind words of some people. I'm sure you would've raised that £440 £44 I was desperately chasing with ease!

Must admit, this thread has some comedy replies though.

• Like 1