Anubis the Jackal

Professional Cyclists

Guest Droosy

newsflash: Gaumont is "just" brain dead, deeply comatosed

newsflash: Gaumont is "just" brain dead, deeply comatosed

capello to Nibbles for his Giro win - aced it all three weeks, Wiggo wouldn't have had a prayer, illness or no. Another great tour, only diminished by the drugs DQ of possibly the dumbest cyclist ever, Di Luca. Enjoyed the misplaced stage win celebrations of Betancur and Navardauskas - dudes, there were guys up the road, switch your radios on. Black marks to Eurosport commentator Declan 'he's struck out for glory' Quigley and the ever-incomprehensible Sean 'group of big favourites' Kelly.

Bring on the Tour and Froomey vs Conty. Whatever happened to the Schleckies now the testing's got more efficient?!

They did switch Gaumont off, if anyone's still on tenterhooks.

• Like 1

Time triallist Gary Dighton, who took part in the team event at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, has committed suicide, aged 46.

Hey Y-Dub you had a lot of options with that obit. Belgians, Cyclist, Automobile accident. Decisions decisions :-)

SC

• Like 1

Hey Y-Dub you had a lot of options with that obit. Belgians, Cyclist, Automobile accident. Decisions decisions :-)

SC

It's a nightmare sometimes...seriously tempted by Belgian thread, but I'm not sure even how famous he was there!

SC

It's a nightmare sometimes...seriously tempted by Belgian thread, but I'm not sure even how famous he was there!

Haha. Well as you have stated, one's nationality should be last resort, their accomplishment to mankind should take precedent (cycling).

SC

Two-time Giro D'Italia winner Ivan Basso, 37, diagnosed with testicular cancer.

this makes me sad

Hmm, is there a drug generally associated with testicular cancer? Something Lance Armstrong used in his early days?

ahh... the old drug named "karma" perhaps?

• Like 2

Prospective GB Paralympian David Smith is delaying his surgery in an attempt to qualify for Rio 2016: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3287131/David-Smith-s-delaying-life-saving-surgery-shot-Rio.html

Making a choice between cycling and his life cycle.

He is on my long list, but I can't help but feel that if putting off the surgery by a year would outright kill him, he wouldn't pass all the health and safety checks needed to be at Rio in the first place.

Who needs steroids when you can have a concealed motor in your bicycle?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-01/uci-confirms-motor-found-on-cyclo-cross-bike-in-cycling-storm/7129186

:D

and the cheater is kinda hot! http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20150218_01537112

Don't underestimate the impact this has in the cycling world and in particular Belgium where cycling is considered a religion. It has a status like American Handball (surely, that's no football) in the US of A.

• Like 1

Prospective GB Paralympian David Smith is delaying his surgery in an attempt to qualify for Rio 2016: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3287131/David-Smith-s-delaying-life-saving-surgery-shot-Rio.html

Making a choice between cycling and his life cycle.

He is on my long list, but I can't help but feel that if putting off the surgery by a year would outright kill him, he wouldn't pass all the health and safety checks needed to be at Rio in the first place.

He's not going now due to further surgery. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/35568940

I was convinced he'd do the whole "compete or die" thing. I've a lot more respect for him as an athlete and a human being by looking after himself rather than throw his whole life at a "here today, gone tomorrow" competition.

I couldn't find the cycling thread

Antoine Demotie dead at 25 after being hit by a motorbike after a crash in the Gent-Wevelgem race.

And now I have so posted it twice (original post in Famous Belgians).

YouTube yet to deliver the goods on this but hit by a motorcycle after a crash that spilled riders all over the road, right?

Second Belgian cyclist dies in two days

Daan Myngheer of a heart attack 20 miles from finish.

My calculator just melted trying to work out the probability for two professional cyclists from Belgium to die on consecutive days in two different events.

• Like 1