Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

57 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Can’t be that many competitors left from 1948 now. 

I recently read that there are about 100 competitors left from 1948. I don’t remember the exact number nor the source.

Oldest Olympians with a good list of olympians aged 90+ lists over a hundred, around 124 (out of the 4104), five times more than the amount of living 1948 Winter Olympics competitors (around 25 out of 669). Of course we don't know what happened to, for example, some of the Egyptian water polo players still marked "living" on wikipedia/missing death dates.

Amhed Suat Oyazici, who was part of Turkey’s football squad at the 1960 Games, is dead at 87.

He played the whole three games of Turkey as they where knocked out in the first round.

• Like 1

Report of the death of US athlete Greg Foster, silver medallist in the 110m hurdles at the 1984 Olympiad: 

Incredibly successful both in National championships and winning gold three times at the World Championships.

Picked last year in the DDP, not this year by the looks of it @Death Impends https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_F.html#fosterg022

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of US athlete Greg Foster, silver medallist in the 110m hurdles at the 1984 Olympiad: 

Incredibly successful both in National championships and winning gold three times at the World Championships.

Picked last year in the DDP, not this year by the looks of it @Death Impends https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_F.html#fosterg022

Another 2022 but not 2023 name dies.

9 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Jim Savage, New Zealander who won medals in the Shot Put at the 1972 and 1976 Paralympics has died aged 86. Obit

86 years old for a paralympic athlete, isn’t it unheard of ?

A lot of them die quite young from health issues due to their condition

4 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Depends on their condition. For him it was a disability caused by polio so not a condition that he was born with or that comes on possibly naturally. 

24 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Australian canoeist Max Baldwin is 95 and hasn't been able to use his left leg since around 1929 due to polio. He competed in the 1956 Summer Olympics, four years before the first official Paralympics.

Looking at 1960 Paralympic competitors, there's not a lot of info on many of them on Wikipedia or the internet.

From Australians Gary Hooper MBE won seven medals 1960-1968 including two gold medals, Men's Wheelchair Dash above T10 in 1964 and Men's 100 m Wheelchair A in 1968. Now 84. Bill Mather-Brown won two silver medals, 1960 and 1968, now 86.

Italian Aroldo Ruschioni who won six medals including one gold  is as far as I know still alive, now 90/91.

Ruschioni in 2021:

ruschioni.png.62ef1ea70d5ade4af9b9647a70b010ad.png

• Like 1

Stanislav Štefkovič, Slovak decathlete, has died aged 93. Obit (In Slovak). Not an Olympian but he tried to compete there. 

Guremu Demboba, Ethiopian cyclist who competed in 1956 and 1960 has died aged 88. https://www.olympedia.org/athletes/14127

Adam Lisewski, Polish fencer who won a bronze in 1968 in the team foil event has died aged 79. Obit (In Polish). 

38 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Bob Richards (wiki), American Olympic gold medalist pole vaulter (1948, 1952, 1956), dead according to his son on Facebook.

Turned 97 this week.

imgresize_php.jpeg.517e77bc555983569a80aa6a9483fe56.jpegimgresize-1_php.jpeg.2c06d0bf9990f0d5db1d3c33a144a2de.jpeg

A unique pick in the DDP.

Will be interesting to see if he obits. A few months before I joined here Lindy Remingo didn’t from what I have read. Through Yahoo is now accepted and he is likely to get a fair bit of American coverage. He is the only male to defend an Olympic pole vault title.

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Will be interesting to see if he obits. A few months before I joined here Lindy Remingo didn’t from what I have read. Through Yahoo is now accepted and he is likely to get a fair bit of American coverage. He is the only male to defend an Olympic pole vault title.

As soon as I got a notification to say you had quoted me I said to myself "I bet he's about to say I wonder if he will obit". You've become very predictable.

Hmmm I wonder... well I know... how about we wait and see? :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Bob Richards (wiki), American Olympic gold medalist pole vaulter (1948, 1952, 1956), dead according to his son on Facebook.

And that completes my winning hand (a hit in 5 categories) for Scavvy Hunt 4.  It was a long wait!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Bob Richards ( wiki ), medalhista de ouro olímpico americano no salto com vara (1948, 1952, 1956), morto de acordo com seu filho no Facebook .

Completou 97 anos esta semana. Uma escolha única no DDP.

imgresize_php.jpeg.517e77bc555983569a80aa6a9483fe56.jpegimgresize-1_php.jpeg.2c06d0bf9990f0d5db1d3c33a144a2de.jpeg

In 1948 he was Bronze, he was also the oldest living Olympic pole vaulting champion (a modality that only US athletes won from 1896 until 1968, in 1972 the German Wolfgang Nordwig won) the oldest pole vaulting Olympic champion now is 1964 champion Fred Hansen