harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

You're accusing others of jumping to conclusions, and yet no cause of death for Montagnier has been issued... He was 89 and frail. He could have died of heart failure in his bed for all we know.

You have an agenda on here and you jump to conclusions and invent facts to fit your narrative.

... and accusing me of being provocative yesterday was hilarious. You're the most provocative poster on here.

He died in his bed.... at American Hospital of Neuilly sur Seine, where he was hospitalised for the last week (facts).

I have obviously no proof it was COVID! There is also no proof it was COVID for Meat Loaf and Magufuli. Just all very strange coincidences. Anti-vaxxers may explain they were killed by Big Pharma (I think Big Pharma would have earned more by keeping frail people alive to sell them medecines, but you never know) some other may explain taking part in oceanic gatherings where no one wears a mask may be harmful for frail and old people.

Believe what you want. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drol said:

He died in his bed.... at American Hospital of Neuilly sur Seine, where he was hospitalised for the last week (facts).

I have obviously no proof it was COVID! There is also no proof it was COVID for Meat Loaf and Magufuli. Just all very strange coincidences. Anti-vaxxers may explain they were killed by Big Pharma (I think Big Pharma would have earned more by keeping frail people alive to sell them medecines, but you never know) some other may explain taking part in oceanic gatherings where no one wears a mask may be harmful for frail and old people.

Believe what you want. 

Yes there is. Meat Loaf was hospitalised with COVID-19 and died from complications of the disease. That was confirmed. But with Montagnier there's no details of his death whatsoever.

Again, you're conflating facts from one case with speculation for another, in order for it to suit your narrative.

No details on the cause of death of Montagnier at all. You're the conspiracist, not me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes there is. Meat Loaf was hospitalised with COVID-19 and died from complications of the disease. That was confirmed. But with Montagnier there's no details of his death whatsoever.

Again, you're conflating facts from one case with speculation for another, in order for it to suit your narrative.

No details on the cause of death of Montagnier at all. You're the conspiracist, not me.

Meat Loaf CoD was never officially released. You are basing yourself on unconfirmed TMZ reports. Prove me wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drol said:

Meat Loaf CoD was never officially released. You are basing yourself on unconfirmed TMZ reports. Prove me wrong.

I'm referring to the TMZ reports. Not confirmed by the family themselves, but TMZ wouldn't have put it out in an article if there was a risk of it being incorrect at the risk of being sued.

Anyway, you're deflecting. Where is the evidence of Montagnier dying of COVID? That is what you're implying. I'm accusing you of making it up, because that's what you want to be the case. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm referring to the TMZ reports. Not confirmed by the family themselves, but TMZ wouldn't have put it out in an article if there was a risk of it being incorrect at the risk of being sued.

Anyway, you're deflecting. Where is the evidence of Montagnier dying of COVID? That is what you're implying. I'm accusing you of making it up, because that's what you want to be the case. 

So you never finish the mirrors to climb, congrats.

Did Montagnier die of COVID? I don't know. What I know is he died barely two weeks after taking part to an oceanic gathering of anti-vaxxers, which is extremely dangerous for a frail old man like him.

It could be a coincidence, maybe it is not. Maybe. I don't have proofs, I don't know if we'll ever have. 

• Like 1

Can't you just agree to disagree? :D it was funny at first but it turned annoying now...I usually stand on the drol side but I recognize he is radical and brutal, I understand others opinions, clearly you are not novaxx and it's clear that we haven't been told everything about the situation. I think everyone should concede the others the benefit of the doubt, insulting doesn't help at all...(sorry for the bad grammar)

• Like 1

Ah feck it. Drol is correct that having an old frail guy out at a big public rally isn't really duty of care (even if he wanted to go) and his death so soon after raises question marks. Ulitzer is correct that afaik no one was said the guy had covid and we shouldn't jump to conclusions ahead of time. Both of you are valued members of the community so maybe go and have a nice cup of tea/coffee/your favourite drink just now instead of arguing on the forum. Or if the personality clash is too much, ignore each other. Just a thought from a forum grump.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Ah feck it. Drol is correct that having an old frail guy out at a big public rally isn't really duty of care (even if he wanted to go) and his death so soon after raises question marks. Ulitzer is correct that afaik no one was said the guy had covid and we shouldn't jump to conclusions ahead of time. Both of you are valued members of the community so maybe go and have a nice cup of tea/coffee/your favourite drink just now instead of arguing on the forum. Or if the personality clash is too much, ignore each other. Just a thought from a forum grump.

Oh shut it, Solomon! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 03/04/2021 at 18:29, drol said:

But I will talk better about them when Martin Pope dies and being 103 it should not be a long time.

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8294-the-100-club/?page=81&tab=comments#:~:text=18 hours ago-,American physical chemist Martin Pope (Wiki) dead at 103,-2

@drol Martin Pope's death has been reported in "The 100 Club" thread.  I'm interested to hear your thoughts as promised on the above date. 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2022 at 15:19, Evil Grimace said:

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8294-the-100-club/?page=81&tab=comments#:~:text=18 hours ago-,American physical chemist Martin Pope (Wiki) dead at 103,-2

@drol Martin Pope's death has been reported in "The 100 Club" thread.  I'm interested to hear your thoughts as promised on the above date. 

First thought is this fucker could die three years ago as I was working way more on OLEDs.

OLEDs are light emitters exploiting an organic material, usually a polymer or a blend, and in general something that does not pack well (i.e. amorphous rather than a crystal). The active layer(s) is put between two electrodes, a cathode which injects electrons into the material LUMO and an anode injecting holes (i.e. subtracting electrons) from the material HOMO. Those would be CB and VB in inorganic LEDs. Due to the applied potential holes and electrons move inside the material. When a hole finds an electrons they shall form a quasiaparticle called exciton, which is held together by Coulombic interaction between the positive hole and the negative electron. Excitons exist only in organic matter, as its dielectric constant is way lower than inorganic material.

An exciton shall then decay (i.e. recombine hole and electron) either radiatively, and that's what you want there, or non-radiatively, i.e. dissipating heat. Obviously the colour of the emitted light will depend on the HOMO-LUMO gap. Different polymers have different HOMO-LUMO gaps, which can be modulated depending on conjugation length and chemical functionalization.

The electroluminiscence yield of an OLED will depend on:

1)The material quantum yield (if kr is the radiative decay constant the yield is QY=kr/(kr+knr), where knr is the non radiative decay constant. It could be easily shown this equates to the ratio between absorbed and emitted photons).

2)The ratio between holes and electrons inside the material. If it is one virtually there could be as many excitons as holes. This ratio is linked to the kinetic barriers for injection (so on the HOMO and LUMO energy levels again) and to the transport properties of the materials.

3)The ratio of singlets to total states. This is normally 25% as when you inject a hole and an electron they are both doublets (S=1/2) and due to angular momentum coupling you get the exciton as 3/4 a triplet, 1/4 a singlet. Sadly triplets are usually not emissive, as they have no dipole moments with the singlet ground state. Therefore 75% of formed excitons are wasted.

Any of these three factors can be improved to raise OLED electroluminescence efficiency. For 1) you should use cis/trans mixtures, blends or other things which do not tend to cristallyze. What's the problem with crystals? Usually aromatic polymers crystallize forming so-called H aggregates. A H-aggregates is not fluorescent (or very weakly, due to vibronic coupling). So fluorescence would be easily suppressed.

Approaches for 3) are the most interesting. If you use heavy metals (devices are called PHOLEDs) like Pd, Rh, Ir, exc then you get the spin-orbit coupling you need in order to mix the spin and spatial parts of the wavefunction. Due to mixing with the adiacent single state the triplet becomes emissive, although with a much longer lifetime. This is called phosphorescence. Then 100% of excitons could be virtually used for light emission! What are the problems with this?

1)Cost and toxicity of heavy metals. Mainly.

2)Due to Hund's rule triplet energy is lower than singlet energy. It is difficult to have a PHOLED which is efficient in the blue (and you strongly need blue OLEDs in RGB).

Various approaches are being developed. I'll mention purely organic phosphorescence, Triplet-Triplet Annihilation (TTA) and Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence (TADF). This last one would repopulate (a process called RISC) the singlet states from the adjacent triplet state using thermal quanta at room temperature. Since this falls at 200 cm-1 in the microwaves, you need very close singlets and triplets. That's where chemical design comes into play.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ben Roy Mottelson (wiki), American/Danish nuclear physicist (+ the 1975 laureate in the Physics category), dead at 95.

Not picked in the DDP this year.

Note: Mottelson was Denmark's only living Nobel laureate.

• Like 4

2004 Economics Nobel Prize winner Edward C. Prescott reportedly dead at 81 per edits on his wiki page.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, drol said:

2004 Economics Nobel Prize winner Edward C. Prescott reportedly dead at 81 per edits on his wiki page.

Source is a Twitter message from "King of Sweden". Sounds reliable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Now there's also this:

Still no actual obituary anywhere though :banghead:

• Like 3

As discussed in the Queen Elizabeth II thread, six new members of the Order of Merit were created on 11 November.  Two are Nobel Prize winners:

Sir Paul Nurse, 73,  2001 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine

Venki Ramakrishnan, 70*, 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry

This greatly increases any chances of a QO, which most laurates rarely to obtain.

*his birthday has been previous claimed at 1952 or 1953, but as of writing it is given on Wikipedia as 1 April 1952 (someone having fun?).

A third laurate is Sir Roger Penrose, 91, 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics, however he gained membership over twenty years (on 9 May 2000) before being awarded the Nobel Prize.

Order of Merit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Merit

Feel free to use this idea - the Order of Merit can have a maximum of 24 living members.  Currently the age range is 56-96, with an average of ~79.  Current and former (Attenborough, Boothroyd) DL picks are members.  It has the makings of the easiest DDP Theme team, just order the twenty you favour and hey, four subs available!

• Like 1

1987 Physics Prize winner K. Alex Muller dead at 95.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, drol said:

1987 Physics Prize winner K. Alex Muller dead at 95.

Picked as recently as 2020, but unsurprisingly not this year given the UK press's weird aversion to Nobel laureates.

20 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Picked as recently as 2020, but unsurprisingly not this year given the UK press's weird aversion to Nobel laureates.

Nothing weird about it DI. They tend to make incredibly dull obituaries.

Newspapers need to sell copies and survive. 

Muller was particularly dull if I have to be honest.

My understanding of how it works at the Telegraph, Guardian, Times is the obit writers need to pitch obituary ideas to their editors at meetings and get the green light before they can compile one.

Some Nobel Prize winners are very interesting – their background, careers and what they actually achieved. Though I would say most are almost instantly forgettable though.

• Shocked 1

Paul Berg (wiki), American biochemist known as "the father of genetic engineering", dead at 96 according to various tweets.

1980 recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

Unpicked in the DDP. Whoops.

• Like 7