harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

I'm a lot more cautious these days.

The obvious signs of Mr or Mrs Hoaxer are:

Minimal amount of tweets.

Recent account.

The words "minutes ago" or "moments ago".

And yet folk keep falling for it without checking the real source.

48 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

As Lafrenchy said, it's a hoax

I'm on the verge of changing my username…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

On another note : is Sen deathlist worthy ?

Yes. He was on my Shortlist until last week.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Yes multiple people on my main Twitter/X list I have created were commenting on the hoax.

23 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

When I first read this, I dismissed it as a trivial question.  Sen is notable as a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (1998) and so DL worthy.

What I think is the better question is would he be selected?  And my first thought was no.  But on looking at the evidence, it isn't impossible.  The death hoax could have raised his profile.  And the DL did select and get at hit from a past Economic Sciences winner.  The DL does take economists as picks, such as Alan Greenspan.

The table below summaries Nobel picks for the DL.

Name

Most Recent Year DL

Nobel

Appearances

Hit (Y/N)

Henry Kissinger

Peace

-

Jimmy Carter

Peace

-

Mikhail Gorbachev (d. 2022)

Peace

Y

Desmond Tutu

(d. 2021)

Peace

N

Nelson Mandela

(d. 2013)

Peace

Y

Milton Friedman (d. 2006)

Economics

Y

As you can see, they are overwhelmingly Peace laureates, three as former heads of governments.  

The main issues is there are more notable or older Laureates to pick.  Robert Solow (Economic Sciences 1987) is 99 now and has been suggested before - and the DL likes their nonagenarians.  Time for a Literature pick?  Why not Bob Dylan age 82 (Lit 2016) or Wole Soyinka age 89 (Lit 1986)?  Soyinka was also subject to a death hoax iirc.  Want to stick with Peace?  Lech Walesa is 80 and was unwell and unable to attend Queen Elizabeth's funeral last year.  How much longer will Aung San Suu Kyi (age 78) endure house arrests, prison and sham trials?  And last but not least, James Watson aged 95 (Med 1962) - possibly the only candidate I can think of that can put and keep their foot in their mouth more that Prince Philip; had a car accident in 2018 with an extended recovery.

So what are the chances for Sen to be picked?  TBH, slim to none. I cannot forecast the selections of the DL and I know of no market force to influence the outcome.  

• Like 1

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Harold Pinter, Mother Teresa, and John Nash were also Nobel DL hits. And Yasser Arafat was picked on the DL as well (though died a non-hit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn’t it the second time Amartya Sen was rumored dead in the past 2-3 years also ?

Edit : a quick search on the forum showed nothing relevant except this interesting health details from @arghton  "Amartya Sen - Diagnosed with throat/oral cancer and given an 15% survival in 1952. The radiation he got during the treatment had severe effect on his bones and in 1971 he suffered severe bone necrosis. In 2018 he had prostate cancer and was still undergoing radiation therapy in 2020. Also has been decrepit for years now. ". Wouldn't be a bad pick for 2024 imo.

I must have dreamt his other death rumors though… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Harold Pinter, Mother Teresa, and John Nash were also Nobel DL hits. And Yasser Arafat was picked on the DL as well (though died a non-hit).

And I thought I did a decent job of reviewing the past lists!  I'm annoyed with myself that I missed Nash, b/c the 'Crash takes Nash' was a one-in-a-million title for his DL obit.  

So that's two of Lit with Solzhenitsyn and Pinter, Peace with Mother Teresa and Arafat and another Economic Sciences with Nash.

That makes a hit rate of 7/9, missing only Arafat and Tutu.  

For the demographics of 11 picks:

0 Physics

0 Chemistry

0 Medicine or Physiology

2 Literature (Solzhenitsyn, Pinter)

7 Peace (Kissinger, Carter, Gorbachev, Tutu, Mandela, Mother Teresa, Arafat)

2 Economic Sciences (Friedman, Nash)

Rumours on the BigXBoard that DDP pick Louise Gluck, 2020 Laureate in Literature, has died.

Cannot find any reliable source. Anything on the Big Book of Face?

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Rumours on the BigXBoard that DDP pick Louise Gluck, 2020 Laureate in Literature, has died.

Cannot find any reliable source. Anything on the Big Book of Face?

Poet Henri Cole posted this, seems to be true

• Thanks 1

Amartya Sen honored at an International Rescue Committee event this week.

amartya.png.a07bef4d273c2301a967ee5f03017318.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arghton said:

Amartya Sen honored at an International Rescue Committee event this week.

amartya.png.a07bef4d273c2301a967ee5f03017318.png

Oh... he looks like the WW 2 veterans they still manage to present sometimes.

On 18/01/2023 at 20:43, Summer in Transylvania said:

Here are the survivors of my 2023 suggestions list, updated for the new year:

- Narges Mohammadi - In a similar situation to Bialiatski, she is the 2023 Nobel Peace Prize winner, currently serving sixteen years in prison for her activism in Iran. Apparently, she is also being tortured.

Narges Mohammadi goes on the old hunger strike: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-12715361/Nobel-Peace-Prize-laureate-Narges-Mohammadi-goes-hunger-strike-imprisoned-Iran.html

• Like 1

Recent picture of John C. Polanyi (Chemistry laureate, 1986, wiki) from an early December event at the University of Toronto.  Compared to the 2019 picture in the wiki article, he's noticeably aged.  For clarity, he's the one with the cane - the others are department of chemistry faculty.

@MariNisia - nice pick btw in the Nobel Prize deadpool, nearly certain you did not see this picture prior to your selection.

1701829963877.jpg

• Like 1

None of the elder Nobel Prize winners seems to be in failing health. I recently spoke with two elderly Chemistry winners (won't name them) and they still go to work ten hours a day. Also Martin Karplus is still directing his small group in Boston, he just seems unsinkable.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, drol said:

None of the elder Nobel Prize winners seems to be in failing health. I recently spoke with two elderly Chemistry winners (won't name them) and they still go to work ten hours a day. Also Martin Karplus is still directing his small group in Boston, he just seems unsinkable.

Reading this reminds me of the saying, 'Old chemists never die; they just reach equilibrium'.

The American Chemical Society (ACS) was even forward thinking enough to make it a bumper sticker!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

Reading this reminds me of the saying, 'Old chemists never die; they just reach equilibrium'.

The American Chemical Society (ACS) was even forward thinking enough to make it a bumper sticker!

As a Chartered Chemist I probably need one of those

• Like 1
  • Haha 1