harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Nobel Prize In Death

Joseph Murray, 93, has died.

He won the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1990 for performing the first organ transplant, a kidney between two identical twins.

Shared the prize with E. Donnall Thomas and died only a month after him. That's almost certainly the shortest timespan between deaths of people who shared a Nobel.

Rita Levi Montalcini, 103 yo, passed away today.

• Like 1

Lord above...was she still around ?

Only 31 and half hours to get a pukka obit...

Only 31 and half hours to get a pukka obit...

Well, ITV have, so others should follow.

Good news who had her for 2012. Not so good for those who had her in their 2013 teams...

Guest Guest

She was the oldest living nobel winner wasn't she?

She was the oldest living nobel winner wasn't she?

Google is your friend. Try asking there.

Guest Guest
I have a feeling there used to be a thread for this, but it seems to have been decommissioned. So, here are the currently-still-breathing-and-over-85 (subject to wiki accuracy, of course) Nobel Prize laureates, all handily wiki-linked. Not household names, I grant you, but probably obit-worthy for the more discerning 'pooler all the same. Many have been discussed in other threads, but I thought it'd be nice to drag them in under one umbrella. I've probably missed one or two; I'm not the most diligent of researchers. Physics: when will they quark it? Willis Lamb (Canadian Paul's very own CL-S), 94. Chen Ning Yang, 85. Charles Townes, 92. Aage Bohr (son of Nils), 85. Nicolaas Bloembergen, 87. Leon Lederman, 85. Jack Steinberger, 86. Norman Ramsey, 91. Hans Dehmelt, 85. Chemistry: soon to be inert? Frederick Sanger, 89. John Cornforth, 90. William Lipscomb, 87. Herbert Hauptman, 90. Jerome Karle, 89. Paul Boyer, 89. Jens Skou, 89. William Knowles, 90. John Fenn, 90. Literature: the final chapter? Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 89. (7-time DL laureate i.e. someone you've heard of) Jose Saramago, 85. Doris Lessing, 88. Only three, but they often receive it later in life, for a body of work. Peace: RIP? (hell, this stuff writes itself) Norman Borlaug, 93. Nelson Mandela, 89. Not many, as it's often given to organisations or not given at all. That paragon of peace Kissinger doesn't turn 85 till May. Medicine: Nurse, the screens!! :sicktherm: Thomas Weller, 92. Andrew Huxley (Aldous's half-brother), 90. Francois Jacob, 87. Har Khorana, 86. Christian de Duve, 90. George Palade, 95. Rita Levi-Montalcini, 98 (oldest living laureate :old: ) Renato Dulbecco, 93. Rosalyn Yalow, 86. Jean Dausset, 91. Robert Furchgott, 91. Edwin Krebs, 89. Joseph Murray, 87. Baruj Benacerraf, 87. Don Thomas, 87. Edmond Fischer, 87. Quite apt that the docs have the most living OAPS. Also, lots more of them, as they seem to work in teams more than other scientists. Economics: cashing their final cheque? Ronald Coase, 97. Maurice Allais, 96. Paul Samuelson, 92. Ken Arrow, 86. Larry Klein, 87. James Buchanan, 88. Douglass North, 87. Leo Hurwicz, 90. Tom Schelling, 86. (Acknowledgements: the lost Magere Hein for this and the equally disappeared Life Begins at 5 for this.)
Sir Andrew Huxley's facing a brave new world.

After 5 yewars 27 of that list are dead. 21 are still alive

Dying at age 75, 1996 Physics Laureate Robert C Richardson, who shared the prize for the discovery of super-fluidity in Helium-3.

Heinrich Rohrer, co-recipient of the 1986 physics prize has died age 79.

He invented (along with Gerd Binnig) the scanning tunneling microscope (no, me neither), which made possible advances in nano-technology...

which made possible the worlds smallest movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oSCX78-8-q0

1993 Economics laureate Robert Fogel dead at 86.

Guest Guest

I have a feeling there used to be a thread for this, but it seems to have been decommissioned. So, here are the currently-still-breathing-and-over-85 (subject to wiki accuracy, of course) Nobel Prize laureates, all handily wiki-linked. Not household names, I grant you, but probably obit-worthy for the more discerning 'pooler all the same.

Many have been discussed in other threads, but I thought it'd be nice to drag them in under one umbrella. I've probably missed one or two; I'm not the most diligent of researchers.

Physics: when will they quark it?

Willis Lamb (Canadian Paul's very own CL-S), 94.

Chen Ning Yang, 85.

Charles Townes, 92.

Aage Bohr (son of Nils), 85.

Nicolaas Bloembergen, 87.

Leon Lederman, 85.

Jack Steinberger, 86.

Norman Ramsey, 91.

Hans Dehmelt, 85.

Chemistry: soon to be inert?

Frederick Sanger, 89.

John Cornforth, 90.

William Lipscomb, 87.

Herbert Hauptman, 90.

Jerome Karle, 89.

Paul Boyer, 89.

Jens Skou, 89.

William Knowles, 90.

John Fenn, 90.

Literature: the final chapter?

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, 89. (7-time DL laureate i.e. someone you've heard of)

Jose Saramago, 85.

Doris Lessing, 88.

Only three, but they often receive it later in life, for a body of work.

Peace: RIP? (hell, this stuff writes itself)

Norman Borlaug, 93.

Nelson Mandela, 89.

Not many, as it's often given to organisations or not given at all. That paragon of peace Kissinger doesn't turn 85 till May.

Medicine: Nurse, the screens!! :sicktherm:

Thomas Weller, 92.

Andrew Huxley (Aldous's half-brother), 90.

Francois Jacob, 87.

Har Khorana, 86.

Christian de Duve, 90.

George Palade, 95.

Rita Levi-Montalcini, 98 (oldest living laureate :old: )

Renato Dulbecco, 93.

Rosalyn Yalow, 86.

Jean Dausset, 91.

Robert Furchgott, 91.

Edwin Krebs, 89.

Joseph Murray, 87.

Baruj Benacerraf, 87.

Don Thomas, 87.

Edmond Fischer, 87.

Quite apt that the docs have the most living OAPS. Also, lots more of them, as they seem to work in teams more than other scientists.

Economics: cashing their final cheque?

Ronald Coase, 97.

Maurice Allais, 96.

Paul Samuelson, 92.

Ken Arrow, 86.

Larry Klein, 87.

James Buchanan, 88.

Douglass North, 87.

Leo Hurwicz, 90.

Tom Schelling, 86.

(Acknowledgements: the lost Magere Hein for this and the equally disappeared Life Begins at 5 for this.)

Jerome Karl can be taken off that list http://www.nytimes.c...obituaries&_r=0

David H. Hubel, 1981 Medicine co-laureate for work in mapping the visual cortex, has died. DDP hit for Death is International.

• Like 1