Death in Vegas

Time Added

Adrian Thorne, who scored 44 goals in 84 appearances (1958-61)  for Brighton & Hove Albion, has died aged 84. He scored a hat-trick inside 10 minutes, and five in the match, in only his 7th professional game, against Watford. which finished 6-0 and secured promotion from Division III (south).

He moved on to Plymouth Argyle before playing for Exeter City (making his debut, and scoring against The Albion at the Goldstone), Leyton Orient, Cheltenham Town and Barnet. He became a schoolteacher after retiring from football.

• Like 2

Aled Owen, bit-part player who was on the books for five years (1953-58) but only played once, for Spurs before departing for Ipswich Town, has died aged 82.  He played 30 times for Alf Ramsey's side (over a similar period), winning the Second Division title in 1961, before winning the First Division the following season (played 8 and 1 league game respectively in those seasons).

Finished his career at Wrexham and Holyhead.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 21:21, drol said:

Zagallo on the mend.

Groan...

Zagallo discharged. Another immortal fucker.

• Like 1

Roberto Dinamite (wiki) has been in & out of hospital recently and is suffering from cancer...

Alberto Orzan, Fiorentina captain of the 1950s, dead at 91. Wikipedia says he was the last living player from the second European Cup final, and I don't have the time or energy to doubt that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Alberto Orzan, Fiorentina captain of the 1950s, dead at 91. Wikipedia says he was the last living player from the second European Cup final, and I don't have the time or energy to doubt that.

Likely correct but I can’t find a death date for their number 11 Claudio Bizzarri.

Still a player left from the first final, Robert Siatka who is 88 now. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Likely correct but I can’t find a death date for their number 11 Claudio Bizzarri.

Still a player left from the first final, Robert Siatka who is 88 now. 

You didn't look very far...

• Like 1

Notts County defender Mick Jones has died age 75

Managed quite a few teams and assistant manager as well including Leeds, QPR and Crystal Palace. Worked with Neil Warnock in a few of those jobs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jones_(footballer,_born_1947)

• Like 1

Fernando Chalana, who played for Benefica and gained caps for Portugal including at the 1984 UEFA Chamionship where Portugal placed third, has died aged 63.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pat Liney, Scottish League Championship winning goalkeeper with Dundee (1961-62) and a long career with Bradford, has died aged 86.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Billy Legg, who played over 50 times for Huddersfield Town, reportedly dead: 

Sounds like a comic strip footballer, but obviously sadly missed by his closest.

• Like 3

Italian goalkeeper Claudio Garella dead at 67. Pretty decent career playing for Sampdoria and then a very successful time at Verona when they won their one and only Scudetto in 1984/85 before moving to Maradona's Napoli winning the domestic double in 1986/87

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Garella

• Like 3

1 hour ago, justonecornetto said:

Italian goalkeeper Claudio Garella dead at 67. Pretty decent career playing for Sampdoria and then a very successful time at Verona when they won their one and only Scudetto in 1984/85 before moving to Maradona's Napoli winning the domestic double in 1986/87

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Garella

He was an inspiration for me, no style at all, very ugly to see and he seldom stopped the ball but he was very effective 

• Like 4

Former Portuguese footballer Carlos Secretário, 52, in ICU after stroke.

• Like 1

Former Everton chairman David Marsh has died, aged 88. he was also a top amateur golfer, and was once captain of the Royal & Ancient.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2022 at 12:26, drol said:

Former Portuguese footballer Carlos Secretário, 52, in ICU after stroke.

Now Paulo Futre, 56, hospitalised after stroke, but conscious and apparently not in danger.

Suffered the stroke during his mother's funeral.

• Like 1

David Armstrong, midfielder who played for Middlesbrough (1971-1981) and Southampton (1981-1987), dead aged 67. He gained 3 caps for England between 1980 and 1984.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What is the fantastic source for this?

EDIT: guess there is not. And casually it's his birthday.

• Like 1

I think somehow the OP confused his birthday for his death date.

Sorry for the confusion, didn't realise that I was mixing up two different players with similar surname both of whom played for Athletic Bilbao.

Have edited my previous post to show correct details (and the fact he did not break Maradona's leg)

• Like 1