Death in Vegas

Time Added

Re Trautmann and people in DLer names who have died, I suppose you could add Davy Jones even though DJL is named after the maritime figure rather than the singer

• Like 1

According to the rangers forum I am on ,ex manager davie white has died.

Can't link as it is a closed forum.

As a former Clyde F.C. player, he gets a mention on their website.

Re Trautmann and people in DLer names who have died, I suppose you could add Davy Jones even though DJL is named after the maritime figure rather than the singer

What I originally asked is whether Bert Trautmann is the first to have his death announced here by his namesake.

Guest Guest

What I originally asked is whether Bert Trautmann is the first to have his death announced here by his namesake.

I missed out on Val Guest in 2006, but is Jo Guest at death's door, Christopher Guest battling cancer or David Gest slightly poorly?

Phil Woosnam, former Welsh international and one-time manager of the US national team, dead at 80. He was also Ian's cousin.

Hibs legend lawrie reilly has passed on....no link as yet.

The second member of my longlist to go in the last 4 days - would have had a unique if I'd stuck him in

EDIT: Obit here. He was the last surviving member of the Famous Five front-line of the late 40s and early 50s

Former Nigerian international, pius oleh, tops himself.

http://www.vanguardn...pius-oleh-dies/

This guy seems to have been a bit of a "character". Arranging non-existent friendly matches, allegations of match fixing, improper player registrations as an agent... and also very little, if no, evidence of him ever actually playing for the Nigerian national team.

I think dude might have been the Lagos equivalent of the guy in the corner of the pub telling you he "played four games for Spurs, but I had a gammy knee, had to give it up. Hoddle said I was the best young player he'd ever seen you know?"

James Alexander Gordon is to retire from reading the BBC's classified football results on the radio after suffering from cancer of the larynx: http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/23434089

Cancer 1, Radio Five Live 0

Doesn't seem that robust and he is obit worthy. We could stake out his house to study form but - listening at the window - it'd be hard telling him talking apart from him shaving.

So, a straight four way fight between Frank Bruno, Gazza, Johnny Vegas and Wayne Rooney to be the next voice of the football results, then.

Update on Bruno Metsu for any Francophones. "cancer de l'estomac qui l'a obligé à s'éloigner des terrains" means that his stomach cancer has spread, right? Because Google translate seems to suggest that it means his cancer has gone to a new country.

New update in which he says he "was" given three months to live, the cancer spread to his liver, colon and lungs, but is apparently now "on the road to recovery".

Another 'Matthews Final' player has died, Bolton's centre-half Malcolm Barrass, which leaves the current score Blackpool 1-4 Bolton, by my reckoning.

Update on Bruno Metsu for any Francophones. "cancer de l'estomac qui l'a obligé à s'éloigner des terrains" means that his stomach cancer has spread, right? Because Google translate seems to suggest that it means his cancer has gone to a new country.

New update in which he says he "was" given three months to live, the cancer spread to his liver, colon and lungs, but is apparently now "on the road to recovery".

I'm calling him as a late 2013/early 2014 death. Could be pretty significant for the DDP as well.

• Like 1

Another 'Matthews Final' player has died, Bolton's centre-half Malcolm Barrass, which leaves the current score Blackpool 1-4 Bolton, by my reckoning.

Always loved that his name was M. Barrass

• Like 2

Cancer of the liver, lungs and colon, but on the road to recovery? He's fucking hoping.

Here's one I remember from my old football card collection! Dave Wagstaffe, the former Wolves winger, has died aged 70.

"He made a total of 324 league appearances for the club, and was part of their 1974 League Cup-winning side that beat his former team Man City 2-1 in the final at Wembley. He left Wolves in 1976 for Blackburn, where he became the first player to receive a red card in English football."

Probably stretching the credibility of the thread to breaking point here, but former Newport, Swindon, Portsmouth and Wales U21 defender Steve Aizlewood, the older brother of Wales international Mark, has died at the age of 60

Ah, that explains why the name sounded familiar! It was his brother I was thinking of. Having said that, Steve did play nearly 500 games in the football league between 1969 and 1983, so not so obscure.

Selçuk Yula

The Turkish international who played 22 times for his country, 3 of them as captain, has died aged 53.

Former Romania captain Costica Stefanescu has died after jumping from the fifth floor of the hospital where he was being treated for cancer.