Windsor

Who Will Be The Next Us President ?

Who will win the 2008 US election?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The misfortunes this great nation has experienced over the last seven years have been incomparable.

It's always me, me, me...

That is why I don't understand all the hype. The damage has been done.

Uh, for the first time ever a major Western nation is about to elect a non-white person as its leader. More importantly, Obama gets it. He's intelligent, and understands America's place in the world - both what it (ideally) should be, and what is actually is at the moment. I doubt very much he will just appoint his cronies and make major decisions based on self-interest and those of his financial backers. He will have a credibility with the likes of the Palestinians and the Iraqis that no white person could have. He's probably already odds-on to be in the White House eight years.

The damage has indeed been done, Windsor, and Obama will do a hell of a lot to repair it. But this is one of the biggest moments in the history of the United States, hence all the hype. Of course, if he loses, I'll look like even more of an idiot than usual. But he won't. mark it down.

What I don't understand is what's the point of having an election day when so many states have already allowed people to vote?

The misfortunes this great nation has experienced over the last seven years have been incomparable.

It's always me, me, me...

Nah, it's just me.

A lot of people in Minnesota have been turning out to vote because word has got around that Starbucks are giving free coffee and Krispy Creme have free doughnuts

What I don't understand is what's the point of having an election day when so many states have already allowed people to vote?

It's an old law - dates back to the mid 1800s.

In a lot of states early voting is limited and some counties don't have it at all. In my county, for example, you had to get to a county courthouse between the hours of 8am - 5pm to vote early. Wasn't working for a lot of people. The only reason I voted early was because I was taking a vacation day for something else.

It allows people to put a little ceremony into the election, and there's really nothing wrong with that. Now there is something wrong with CNN trying to call the election at noon...

What we should all do, though, is live in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

It's an old law - dates back to the mid 1800s.

In a lot of states early voting is limited and some counties don't have it at all. In my county, for example, you had to get to a county courthouse between the hours of 8am - 5pm to vote early. Wasn't working for a lot of people. The only reason I voted early was because I was taking a vacation day for something else.

It allows people to put a little ceremony into the election, and there's really nothing wrong with that. Now there is something wrong with CNN trying to call the election at noon...

What we should all do, though, is live in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

We finish at 10pm in Britain. Why do the polls close so early in the US? :P

We finish at 10pm in Britain. Why do the polls close so early in the US? :P

On election day most polls close between 7pm and 9pm.

In my opinion whilst voting for the central federal government, all the rules should be the same in every state.

I also think that the state delegates at the electoral college should be divided proportionally per state by proportion of the vote. It would make things fairer and more interesting (although unpractical).

I haven't done the sums, but I think that a proportional model would have kept Bush out of the White House in 2000 (just). So I rest my case...

(This coming from someone who has no objection to the Westminster model in his own country).

I think I voted for McCain - but that was back in June when I was convinced that Obama had no chance on account of him being black, and on account of most American's being racist. Evidently I was wrong (again).

Well I have every faith in CarolAnn :P

Has Banshees voted yet do we know?

Has Banshees voted yet do we know?

He's not allowed to vote - he is only 15.

Can anyone tell me when the results will be known? I'm thinking of staying up. Will I be up all night if I want to know who's won or will it be clear pretty quickly?

Can anyone tell me when the results will be known? I'm thinking of staying up. Will I be up all night if I want to know who's won or will it be clear pretty quickly?

CNN will start trying to be first and calling the election around 8pm central or so, I imagine, but unless it's a landslide California needs to come in. :P

A lot of states are polling late this time as well. Texas isn't closing their polls until 8pm central time and we're in the middle.

It will be late for you.

CNN will start trying to be first and calling the election around 8pm central or so, I imagine, but unless it's a landslide California needs to come in. :P

A lot of states are polling late this time as well. Texas isn't closing their polls until 8pm central time and we're in the middle.

It will be late for you.

I'm prepared to wait all night...

Will this thread be changed to 'Barack Obama - How Long Will He Live' tomorrow?

I can't believe the BBC coverage has just interviewed that git Ricky Gervais, wtf has he got to do with US politics :P, they love to push him into our faces, perhaps now Wossy is off air they are having to use him in other programmes.

Democrats hold Pennsylvania, so it's all over, good enough for me.

If the Dems get Florida, I think we can safely assume that it is all over.

With Ohio won, that is it. Obama wins.

He will win Florida, and he will win California. That puts him over 270.

President Obama is elected 44th President of the United States.

Obama is now the projected winner in Ohio. They're saying that no Republican has ever won the presidency without it.

Sweet dreams Windsor ( and Godot if you're still awake). I think it's a wrap.

With Ohio won, that is it.

He will win Florida, and he will win California. That puts him over 270.

President Obama is elected 44th President of the United States.

He's pissed on McCain's chips....