xzandra

Are We All To Die When CERN Sort Themselves Out?

Black holes - pah. They probably don't even exist anyway. No one's ever seen a photo . It's like time travel - if something's not completely disprovable you'll always get some smart-arse scientist who insists it's true, and says anyone who doubts isn't clever enough.

What a colossal waste of everyone's time this experiment is. They should have cancelled the project, and taken all the money they would have spent and thrown it out of a plane over Africa, so the poor villagers could go and buy food, or mosquito nets, or the latest Britney CD.

OK, thanks Honez. Now I understand the theory. But in practice, where to they place this custard?

"if the mass is piddly, then the energy isn't going to be able to pull the skin off custard."

At which point is the bowl of custard positioned on the miles of radius? Is it hot or cold. Or perhaps tepid? How much did this custard cost to develop?

We should be told.

DWB :crossbone:

Black holes - pah. They probably don't even exist anyway. No one's ever seen a photo . It's like time travel - if something's not completely disprovable you'll always get some smart-arse scientist who insists it's true, and says anyone who doubts isn't clever enough.

What a colossal waste of everyone's time this experiment is. They should have cancelled the project, and taken all the money they would have spent and thrown it out of a plane over Africa, so the poor villagers could go and buy food, or mosquito nets, or the latest Britney CD.

If time travel were possible, would not someone have visited us from the future and said "You'll never guess what we invented in 2156!"

DWB :crossbone:

fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately for some saps out there), we are still alive and breathing.

At least i am.

*yawn*....If that's your attitude then life itself is a waste of time...

OK, thanks Honez. Now I understand the theory. But in practice, where to they place this custard?

"if the mass is piddly, then the energy isn't going to be able to pull the skin off custard."

At which point is the bowl of custard positioned on the miles of radius? Is it hot or cold. Or perhaps tepid? How much did this custard cost to develop?

Given that e=mc2 states that energy and mass are interchangeable, I'm keen to see how much more energy they need to pump into the machine to convert a collision's resulting quark-gluon soup into quark-gluon custard.

.......To use an example, if I was attempting to communicate through the medium of music, yet couldn't be bothered to put the notes in the right order, used the wrong key, didn't use the same musical notation as everyone else and could barely play my instrument then I'd hardly expect a warm reception when someone took the time to listen to my music.

Quite brilliant. I have missed the banter on this site, I must make an effort to attend more often. I also enjoyed your throwaway line in your first comment: C U next Thursday

On the matter of the subject up for discussion, someone postulated the theory that reason we have not been approached by superior advanced extra terrestrial beings is that they all reached a similar point in their evolution, invented a Large Hadron Collider and............

.......To use an example, if I was attempting to communicate through the medium of music, yet couldn't be bothered to put the notes in the right order, used the wrong key, didn't use the same musical notation as everyone else and could barely play my instrument then I'd hardly expect a warm reception when someone took the time to listen to my music.

Quite brilliant. I have missed the banter on this site, I must make an effort to attend more often. I also enjoyed your throwaway line in your first comment: C U next Thursday

On the matter of the subject up for discussion, someone postulated the theory that reason we have not been approached by superior advanced extra terrestrial beings is that they all reached a similar point in their evolution, invented a Large Hadron Collider and............

Ah, welcome back Mr Josco!

Surely your return after firing up the LHC cannot be coincidence?

Perhaps a portal to the postulated additional dimensions was opened, allowing your triumphant return from the underworld.

Was it open long enough for you to bring your evil army of destruction too, or will you put an ad in the post office window?

LHC claims its first victim: Chaya Lal.

Indeed, but think of all the lives it may have saved.

If you were feeling suicidal you may have put off killing yourself thinking, "I'm just going to wait until next Wednesday - when the world ends". This would be a good time to insert a Bridgend joke - but I can't be arsed.

I'm blaming LHC for Hurricane Ike. I'm almost 300 freaking miles inland and I'm expecting 50mph winds with gusts up to 80mph and violent thunderstorms with tornados on Saturday. :crossbone:

As paranoia grows about intense gravity sucking in CERN, hurricanes and tornadoes barreling toward Texas, and worst of all, the prospect that Mr. Josco is about to reveal himself to be Zuul, minion of Gozer in a minute or two.....I was thinking. If any of you were planning on giving me some small token of your esteem for Christmas, such as sexy pictures of Russell Crowe, or summat, why wait? Best get to googlin' now, while the sun shines.

As paranoia grows about intense gravity sucking in CERN, hurricanes and tornadoes barreling toward Texas, and worst of all, the prospect that Mr. Josco is about to reveal himself to be Zuul, minion of Gozer in a minute or two.....I was thinking. If any of you were planning on giving me some small token of your esteem for Christmas, such as sexy pictures of Russell Crowe, or summat, why wait? Best get to googlin' now, while the sun shines.

That article says "Other mysteries the team hopes to explore include the 17-mile circular tunnel underneath the Swiss-French border, among other cosmological wonders."

I didn't realise the 17-mile circular tunnel is regarded a cosmological wonder. I hope they're not going to explore it when the protons or lead ions are whizzing by at 99.999% of c, whipping up a new batch of custard.

It's a pity they didn't lay a Scalextric track by the side of the tunnel. Whizzing cars around it might be a bit more fun than protons. Still, they probably don't have the staff to put the cars back on if they come off. Then again, if the track was pristine you could probably run a Scalextric car flat out all the way. I wonder of the brushes would last 17 miles.

If you had two tracks with cars going opposite ways you could have a cross-over somewhere that might create a collision if the cars could be timed accurately enough. Not great science, I accept, but it would be pretty cool and something to film. I wouldn't like to lay out all that track though. I have about 25ft of Scaletrix track at home that fits in to a cornflakes box.

By my calculation it would probably need about 45,000 cornflakes boxes of track to do the job (one-way). It's doable.

It's a pity they didn't lay a Scalextric track by the side of the tunnel. Whizzing cars around it might be a bit more fun than protons. Still, they probably don't have the staff to put the cars back on if they come off. Then again, if the track was pristine you could probably run a Scalextric car flat out all the way. I wonder of the brushes would last 17 miles.

If you had two tracks with cars going opposite ways you could have a cross-over somewhere that might create a collision if the cars could be timed accurately enough. Not great science, I accept, but it would be pretty cool and something to film. I wouldn't like to lay out all that track though. I have about 25ft of Scaletrix track at home that fits in to a cornflakes box.

By my calculation it would probably need about 45,000 cornflakes boxes of track to do the job (one-way). It's doable.

It's a great theory Godot. Unfortunately, if the history of Scalextric is a reliable guide:

1. the wiry bits that go under the cars and connect to the track (is that what you meant by brushes?) would get all furry and the car would keep skidding off the race course;

2. the transistor would get way overheated and start giving off a funky smell;

3. the track would keep coming apart at the seams;

4. after 20 laps or so, the race leader's older/younger brother would get furious at the standings, knock over the track, and storm off.

That article says "Other mysteries the team hopes to explore include the 17-mile circular tunnel underneath the Swiss-French border, among other cosmological wonders."

I didn't realise the 17-mile circular tunnel is regarded a cosmological wonder. I hope they're not going to explore it when the protons or lead ions are whizzing by at 99.999% of c, whipping up a new batch of custard.

Cosmological wonder #148795: I work for one of the largest computer corporations in the world and I'm about to trash my 3rd laptop this year. Wonder what the tunnel says about that.

It's a great theory Godot. Unfortunately, if the history of Scalextric is a reliable guide:

1. the wiry bits that go under the cars and connect to the track (is that what you meant by brushes?) would get all furry and the car would keep skidding off the race course;

2. the transistor would get way overheated and start giving off a funky smell;

3. the track would keep coming apart at the seams;

4. after 20 laps or so, the race leader's older/younger brother would get furious at the standings, knock over the track, and storm off.

Bushes/wiry bits yeah, same thing. Good points Ron. I'm wondering whether 2 and 3 could happen with the LHC too. I was way off with my numbers. I reckon that 1,795.2 cornflake boxes ought to do it.

Ah Scalextric!!

You buy the kit, get it home then spend three hours sodding about moving the furniture trying to get the bloody thing to fit into a room, any room.

After fruitless hours of trying to keep the cars on the track and not launched, missile like, into someones shin, you pack it all up and stick it in the loft for, oh, about 25 years.

I should have been into Choo Choo trains.

This is all a bit harsh and unfair. My Scalextric (rally, with two Mini Coopers) worked just fine. Being the loner type I used to try and set time/distance records; I'd go for 500 laps in an hour type of thing. Brushes certainly smelled a bit funny after that.

It were all green fields etc blah...

This is all a bit harsh and unfair. My Scalextric (rally, with two Mini Coopers) worked just fine. Being the loner type I used to try and set time/distance records; I'd go for 500 laps in an hour type of thing. Brushes certainly smelled a bit funny after that.

It were all green fields etc blah...

"Coats for goals..." etc

Cowboy, just because you don't understand what is going on doesn't mean it isn't important. Nice to see the money being spent on science and enginering for once. And if a black holes does 'swallow' something up, then the lawyesr can join in for their cut too ! Ha!

Xzandra, here's a web site that will help you keep abreast of developments. Has the large hadron collider destroyed the world yet?

Would we not have been slightly more impressed if they had called it the "Hardon Collider"?