maryportfuncity

Crashing Companies

They would have survived if the CEO and other senior execs didn't award themselves a pay rise in the region of 200-300% and then expected their workers to take a pay cut.

• Like 1

I had to look up Twinkies to see what they were. If they're that wonderful, why aren't UK shops full of them?

I had to look up Twinkies to see what they were. If they're that wonderful, why aren't UK shops full of them?

They're not really that wonderful, although it's purely a matter of taste.

Those that grew up with them, really like them. For many people though, they're sickly sweet.

I only tried them when I first moved to the U.S. just to see what all the fuss was about.

Play.com is closing its retail operations in March.

This will see it pull out of Jersey with 147 redundancies and also lose 67 jobs on the mainland.

HMV poised to call in administrators.

Coincidentally (?)

HMV is run by Trevor Moore, who recently took over having held the chief executive's post at Jessops.

That sound you hear is the sound of my 20,000 loyalty card points crashing into worthlessness

• Like 1

That sound you hear is the sound of my 20,000 loyalty card points crashing into worthlessness

You could probably buy the company with your loyalty points :-)

• Like 3

You could probably buy the company with your loyalty points :-)

They're doing 25% off most of their stock, I got 7 DVDs for just under £30 :)

Currys/PC World and Waterstone's too

I think (and hope) HMV will come out the other side. There are too many vested interests in it going under. But Blockbuster may not, as it is rather pointless - who rents films these days?

I think (and hope) HMV will come out the other side. There are too many vested interests in it going under. But Blockbuster may not, as it is rather pointless - who rents films these days?

Who buys CD's/DVD's anymore either. Everything is downloaded or streamed. HMV's prices are not competitve anymore. If you do want to buy a CD or DVD most people go to Tesco or Asda

Who buys CD's/DVD's anymore

I do. I (occasionally) download too, but I like the permanence of the actual disc.

If you do want to buy a CD or DVD most people go to Tesco or Asda

Most people go to Tesco or Asda for their groceries not audio/video products; That they may on occasion buy such products but that is incidental to their main visit. Fact is, most people buy their CDs or DVDs from Amazon.

Who buys CD's/DVD's anymore either. Everything is downloaded or streamed. HMV's prices are not competitve anymore. If you do want to buy a CD or DVD most people go to Tesco or Asda

I do, I can't really be arsed with downloading/streaming

I wouldn't get any CDs from Tesco, they'll probably have traces of VHS in them... :-P

• Like 6

The high street is being slaughtered. I personally think its finished at this rate their won't be any shops left except coffee shops , clothes stores , pound stores ,charity shops and fast food stores.

Even betting shops are now starting to struggle with online competition you will probably see betting shops go though a similar pattern as all these cd and dvd shops and most closed towards the end of this decade.

The high street is being slaughtered. I personally think its finished at this rate their won't be any shops left except coffee shops , clothes stores , pound stores ,charity shops and fast food stores.

Even betting shops are now starting to struggle with online competition you will probably see betting shops go though a similar pattern as all these cd and dvd shops and most closed towards the end of this decade.

Oh?

Oh?

Wanna take a bet?

regards,

Hein

Oh?

Wanna take a bet?

regards,

Hein

Yea but only online! :D

I still buy CDs whenever I can, mostly from the musician/band at the gig I go to or I order direct from them rather than go to a store. The band or musician will be lucky to get 50-60% of the sale. The only time I download, is if it's a hard to find album or one that's so rare that it's out of my price range and someone has kindly placed it online to download.