Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

2009 DDP

our new-found Russian chum

His deadpooling skills are truly awesome. Is anyone gonna grass him as one who might have hung around under another name? have no insider knowledge here but, is he - like - Tempus or someone?

No, I think he's new. Probably lurked around a bit before taking the plunge.

I think he's mentioned that he's from the same 'stable' as Tonight Matthew etc...

Aye, well he's definitely one of us, he knows his stuff and posts pithy observations. I guess, like my man Paul the Postie who works with me. Paul's deadpooling is usually done over a pint or two so he knew his stuff before he entered the Deathrace, and he'd already Googled 'Rabies + Northern Ireland' to land Lisa McMurray as a pick. Can't seem to get Paul interested in joining here, mind.

Aye, well he's definitely one of us, he knows his stuff and posts pithy observations. I guess, like my man Paul the Postie who works with me. Paul's deadpooling is usually done over a pint or two so he knew his stuff before he entered the Deathrace, and he'd already Googled 'Rabies + Northern Ireland' to land Lisa McMurray as a pick. Can't seem to get Paul interested in joining here, mind.

He's not in DDP too either...

Likely to be a newcomer guaranteed next year...OoO's 'other half'. She certainly talks a good deadpool ;)

Just out of interest, would it be too early to start a thread to devise a pllan for 2010 to come up with a full-proof system in dealing with such issues as 'famous for being ill' etc.

I recall a thread was started by OoO last year, but no satisfactory plan was agreed upon or drawn up on time...

OoO seems mighty confident that his joker will die this year: he's already got Pete Arundell listed as dead and awaiting obit.

Let's see if we can find one for him...

I reckon there was a bit of 'Insider' knowledge about that one...;)

Still alive according to Wikipedia.

Was that recently updated or did he always have Arundell's profile listed like that?

our new-found Russian chum

His deadpooling skills are truly awesome. Is anyone gonna grass him as one who might have hung around under another name? have no insider knowledge here but, is he - like - Tempus or someone?

Being compared to Mr Fugit? I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. ;)

No, I can honestly say that I'm not the reincarnated spirit of any legend from the DL's past, but am merely a humble newcomer, who has got very, very lucky so far in the DDP. That said, I'm not a novice at deadpooling and as TMIB alluded to, I do run a deadpool with some old mates from school (including Tonight Matthew...), and that seems to have stood me in good stead so far.

The trouble is, having got off to such a blinding start, there really is only one way for my team to go. But hell, I'm certainly going to enjoy it while it lasts.

No, I can honestly say that I'm not the reincarnated spirit of any legend from the DL's past, but am merely a humble newcomer, who has got very, very lucky so far in the DDP.

He wasn't a legend. He was a creepy bastard.

....Unless of course he has added that last sentence to the wrong person, namely Aarne Arvonen!

The Fin was mentioned in the email so....

:o

Oops. I meant Arvonen.

But Arundell IS doomed. He won't see 2010 & is gravely ill. But I think I have been a bit hasty to announce his demise... :P

MPFC, what is the reason for your obession with Tempus? Besides, Tempus is still banned from the DDP for his despicable antics in 2007 & wouldn't be allowed to enter without prior approval first, so none of those teams are him.

TMIB, yes, she is likely to enter in 2010. She wasn't put off at all by me mentioning it. If I can persuade her friend to enter as well, it could be some good competition in the OoO household... ;)

Windsor - yes, please, if you want to get the debate going, go for it. I have a lot to do at the moment, so I'm not in a position to finalise a decision yet, but there's no harm in starting the ball rolling. Although someone like Evans not getting an obit is probably as helpful in that respect as any for these people to no longer be picked.

....Unless of course he has added that last sentence to the wrong person, namely Aarne Arvonen!

The Fin was mentioned in the email so....

:o

Oops. I meant Arvonen.

But Arundell IS doomed. He won't see 2010 & is gravely ill. But I think I have been a bit hasty to announce his demise... :P

MPFC, what is the reason for your obession with Tempus? Besides, Tempus is still banned from the DDP for his despicable antics in 2007 & wouldn't be allowed to enter without prior approval first, so none of those teams are him.

TMIB, yes, she is likely to enter in 2010. She wasn't put off at all by me mentioning it. If I can persuade her friend to enter as well, it could be some good competition in the OoO household... :o

Windsor - yes, please, if you want to get the debate going, go for it. I have a lot to do at the moment, so I'm not in a position to finalise a decision yet, but there's no harm in starting the ball rolling. Although someone like Evans not getting an obit is probably as helpful in that respect as any for these people to no longer be picked.

A threesome! You dirty dog...

Next time I'll try and get one my old friends involved. I've mentioned it in the past, but he was bamboozled more than anything else...

Seriously though, I think most people's reaction would be of mild disgust, followed by 'Have you got such and such in the list? :P

BTW, what did Tempus do that caused castigation? (It's alright, you can wisper in me ear, you're amongst friends....)

It's not too late to have Tim Cahill entered for the DDP is it? ;)

As for the 'Famous for being ill' debate, the recent Evans disappointment for some of our players ably demonstrates the risk involved and that it is in the lap of the obit gods at the end of the day. So I don't think there should be a rule as the process presents it's own risks...

A threesome! You dirty dog...

Next time I'll try and get one my old friends involved. I've mentioned it in the past, but he was bamboozled more than anything else...

Seriously though, I think most people's reaction would be of mild disgust, followed by 'Have you got such and such in the list? :o

I never actually said her friend was female..... (But she is & she brought it up on our first ever meeting, without me mentioning the DDP. Something about Kerry Katona... More annoyingly, Tony Hart was on her list as well.. ;) Had I seen the picture in the Daily Mail of him in 2008, though, I think I'd included him, but never mind.

OoO's better half's reaction was not even of disgust.

It was of "Oh, that's nothing wrong with that. Who did you pick? It's not as if you want them to die (True, bar Gloria Stuart. That bitch has thrawted me for long enough now.... )Who the HELL are they? Oh, Swayze. Good pick. Why don't you pick more motor racing people if you know they're ill? Oh. Well can I pick them? Can I play next year? Can I pick Swayze and er.. er.. Peter Falk. Oh you're on there are you? Well I pick you as well for 2010 :P (now I'm worried - an unique pick, a joker hit, unatural death er isn't that something like 40 points if she murders me on the 13th of the month.....!)"

Indeed she nearly gave me a heart-attack when she told me Peter Falk was dead (she read something at the gym about an actor & "Columbo" & put two & two together. I later found out she meant McGoohan) & was the first to tell me Tony Hart was dead. When anyone famous dies now, her first question is "were they on your list?" Second question is usually - "Why not?" :P

I would say it was down to my training, but she was like this anyway....

Besides, there are so many family or couple based teams in the DDP, one more won't hurt as long as she doesn't beat me :o

PS TMIB - would you not be better off picking Rafa Benitez instead? It might solve a few problems & get you a few points too. ;)

PS TMIB - would you not be better off picking Rafa Benitez instead? It might solve a few problems & get you a few points too. ;)

Well the way his Kidney Stones keep flaring up, he may well be an outside bet. Better for Fergie to drop down dead. If that did happen, I honestly wouldn't have feelings other than complete elation..

I think I might retire from football, it's just silly now with Man City hoping to spend £100m on Kaka... :o

Anyway, back to DDP.

If your other half keeps doing that everytime someone croaks it, you're gonna have a looooonnng year...

Soon I'm going to add a mini-anyalsis on the main contenders for this years prize, a Champions League as it were (and it includes you too and most of the other forum botherers)

Watch this space...

Just returned from another miserable night at Anfield.

Thanks to the combination of Benitez and the Daily Express' total ignorance of Joanne Evans demise, I really do have murder in mind.

Unlucky no-one has Rafa or The Daily express Health section editor in their DDP.

Just returned from another miserable night at Anfield.

Thanks to the combination of Benitez and the Daily Express' total ignorance of Joanne Evans demise, I really do have murder in mind.

Unlucky no-one has Rafa or The Daily express Health section editor in their DDP.

I don't think we are ready yet. But runners-up is better than a kick in the teeth. Trouble is, it'll be runners up to you know who...

Only a 6th European Cup will make up for that...

This is for another thread, though.

As for the 'Famous for being ill' debate, the recent Evans disappointment for some of our players ably demonstrates the risk involved and that it is in the lap of the obit gods at the end of the day. So I don't think there should be a rule as the process presents it's own risks...

But if she is to get an obit, there will be a huge haul of points awarded for her demise - even though she is not famous in the slightest.

The term 'celebrity dead pool' is thrown about quite alot in the DDP, and Joanne Evans simply is not a celebrity. Thus risk or no risk, she should not be a valid pick on a celebrity deadpool.

Fairplay to those who chose her this year (especially if you get the points). Given that there is no rule against it, you simply used good initiative. However, in the future people like Joanne should be banned.

PS. If you want an obit for her, instead of emailing the media about poor Joanne, you should email them enraged at the sick bastards who put her on deadpools. It might just be more newsworthy. ;)

I think Benitez WAS chosen this year actually....

Obsession is a bit strong. Let's just say, I think one so active in the past would be a likely candidate to come back. I can't remember exactly what he did to get banned, though I do recall mucho aggro between TF, BS and the troll back in the day. Tempus had a habit of PM'ing me about such.

Unless I am missing something here but how exactly do you go about banning someone on the DDP? It all seems a bit playground (futile and pointless) so why bother? I mean, it's not as if one can't change email address or ip, so who's to know eh? Perhaps half the entrants are in fact this Tempus chap. I've no idea what the grievances are but if we'd all put half this much energy into a more worthy cause, say boycotting Israeli goods, who knows what we'd achieve?

Obsession is a bit strong. Let's just say, I think one so active in the past would be a likely candidate to come back. I can't remember exactly what he did to get banned, though I do recall mucho aggro between TF, BS and the troll back in the day. Tempus had a habit of PM'ing me about such.

He went away in a strop because the DDP organisers didn't accept his team back in...2007(?). He thus became abusive towards them on this forum, and didn't receive much DL sympathy for his actions.

That is my version of events. That, and he was a creepy bastard. Amongst other things he claimed to have my address and telephone number, and reportedly passed them over to Mr. Scream.

Unless I am missing something here but how exactly do you go about banning someone on the DDP? It all seems a bit playground (futile and pointless) so why bother? I mean, it's not as if one can't change email address or ip, so who's to know eh? Perhaps half the entrants are in fact this Tempus chap. I've no idea what the grievances are but if we'd all put half this much energy into a more worthy cause, say boycotting Israeli goods, who knows what we'd achieve?

I don't want teams to be banned from the DDP, just individual picks who should not qualify for a celebrity deadpool. For example - Joanne Evans. It wouldn't be too difficult. Lets not forget that the death of Saddam Hussein and his cronies led to the banning of points for executions.

Aye, it's coming back to me now. What was wrong with his team....were they all in a care home in his home street, or summat?

Aye, it's coming back to me now. What was wrong with his team....were they all in a care home in his home street, or summat?

I think the team was rejected mainly because he was being rude to the DDP organisers. He was already sulking with them because they did not accept and obit for one of his picks in 2006 (I seem to recall).

I think he submitted it late or something. Not sure about the rest of his "antics."

But if she is to get an obit, there will be a huge haul of points awarded for her demise - even though she is not famous in the slightest.

The term 'celebrity dead pool' is thrown about quite alot in the DDP, and Joanne Evans simply is not a celebrity. Thus risk or no risk, she should not be a valid pick on a celebrity deadpool.

Fairplay to those who chose her this year (especially if you get the points). Given that there is no rule against it, you simply used good initiative. However, in the future people like Joanne should be banned.

PS. If you want an obit for her, instead of emailing the media about poor Joanne, you should email them enraged at the sick bastards who put her on deadpools. It might just be more newsworthy. ;)

I'm inclined to agree with you Windsor, especially having experienced similar problems in the deadpool I run. Perhaps, as well as the 'List of the Missed' and the 'List of the Lost' there could be a new link to a 'List of the Banned' which could be updated on a rolling basis throughout the year, as and when local sob stories emerge. Any name that appears in this list would then be ineligible for selection, and if anyone goes ahead and picks them regardless, then they can either be refused entry, or (less draconian) they have automatically forfeited one member of their team, and must do with 19, and their sub is not allowed to be used. As for who decides which names go on this List, well, I can't think of everything can I?

Joanne Evans had a cancer that only affects 1 in 10 billion. Considering the odds of winning the lottery Jackpot are 14 million to one i say that is pretty damn unlucky.

Consider this...If a Lotto Jackpot winner developed a bog standard Terminal cancer would we bemoan the fact that they were picked by DDP teams?

A lottery winner is famous for winning the lottery you may say and not the cancer!!

But surely a person who develops bilateral Krukenberg tumours is much more of a news story than somebodypicking 6 numbered balls.

It will get to a point where we are suggesting that only Oscar winners are allowed to be picked.

In my mind a celebrity is not just somebody who works or has featured on TV, radio or the Arts. It is somebody who has some kind of interesting back story no matter how heart rendering it may be.

'List of the Banned' which could be updated on a rolling basis throughout the year, as and when local sob stories emerge. Any name that appears in this list would then be ineligible for selection, and if anyone goes ahead and picks them regardless, then they can either be refused entry, or (less draconian) they have automatically forfeited one member of their team, and must do with 19

Good idea, though I would say that when it's down to someone else to keep the list of the banned alive.

Re the fame bit, there is also an issue where a famous for famous/famous for being ill candidate then goes on to achieve other things on the back of said fame. So - for example - Harry Patch is now a best-selling author, there are obit worthy candidates - like Edwin Morgan - who don't have book sales to rival 'The Last Fighting Tommy,' he might have come by the book deal by default, but it's still an achievement and - arguably - qualifies him to avoid any famous for being famous deductions.