Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

37 minutes ago, diego said:

Érico Veríssimo was a 1000gp motorcycle rider in Brazil, he died in an accident in the city of Cascavel, the link has the video, who does not like to see it, do not watch the video

The other rider involved, Andre Verissimo (not related to Erico), has also succumbed to his injuries.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dirtracer18 said:

The other rider involved, Andre Verissimo (not related to Erico), has also succumbed to his injuries.

I've watched a lot of these videos (morbid curiosity) and the disparity between motorbike racing and car racing is stark at this point.

It's not possible nowadays for IndyCar drivers to end up like Bill Vukovich's dad from the previous page. Yet it's still easy and not rare for bikers to find themselves in the middle of the track after a crash, and have no way to avoid being struck or run over. Autopilot wouldn't work as it would lead to all kinds of cheating, but there has to be a better way.

• Like 1

John Quenby, former CE of RAC Motor Sports Association and former Chair of a couple of motor cycle racing boards, reportedly dead: 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

John Quenby, former CE of RAC Motor Sports Association and former Chair of a couple of motor cycle racing boards, reportedly dead: 

Was a fan of Diamond John Quenby in the 90s.

15b08a47bad5d7f3-600x338.jpg

• Like 1

Otojiro Tanimoto, two weeks ago, in the Motegi stage of the All-Japan Superbike, crashed into an opponent's bike and ended up in the protective barrier. The young man fractured his neck on impact and did not resist his injuries and died at the age of 23 on 5/Sep

Otojiro Tanimoto morre aos 23 anos após grave acidente no All-Japan Superbike - Notícia de Motociclismo - Grande Prêmio - Notícia de Motociclismo - Grande Prêmio (grandepremio.com.br)

image.jpeg.44c552fdb606a69141bc71b67e40e8dc.jpeg

Speedway's Gordon Kennett being mourned on Twitter. 

• Like 1

Basil van Rooyen has died. Its only on FB and X at the moment, but give it time. Picked in a few DP's. 

It was known for some while he was at the end stages of his long cancer fight, but it's still a great shame to learn of his passing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Basil van Rooyen has died. Its only on FB and X at the moment, but give it time. Picked in a few DP's. 

It was known for some while he was at the end stages of his long cancer fight, but it's still a great shame to learn of his passing.

Scavvy Hunt pick

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Just done a search on X and there seems to be nothing since April

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just done a search on X and there seems to be nothing since April

I can see a couple of posts, x algorithm is terrible. Either way, there will be something shortly from racing media.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I can see a couple of posts, x algorithm is terrible. Either way, there will be something shortly from racing media.

I see on Wiki this morning that there has been an abortive attempt to edit his page but nothing showing in a search on X or on the news sites

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I see on Wiki this morning that there has been an abortive attempt to edit his page but nothing showing in a search on X or on the news sites

Basil was a friend of mine for 15 years. He's dead.

Ulitzer deleted the oldracingcars.com link I tried to link to. Not sure why because it's always been accepted as a source before.

Not sure what else I'm supposed to say or prove.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Ulitzer deleted the oldracingcars.com link I tried to link to. Not sure why because it's always been accepted as a source before.

I am not doubting you. Apologies if you thought I was. I was just seeing that it was very slow at being reported. 

For me your expertise in this subject area is enough to convince me but I am trying to police my own deadpools with rigour and don't want to award points without the stated levels of proof applied across the board.

So sorry for your loss

49 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Done by accident. The edit was sloppy and done by an unregistered IP (no offence) so I didn't spot that a source had been attached. I'll restore now and format it correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I'll be honest I didn't know about Basil van Rooyen asides from brief mentions on DL, but I just checked out his Wikipedia page and I definitely have a greater admiration for your friend. It looks like he did pretty much everything one could do in the automotive world be it racing, designing, building, engineering and even inventing a couple of automotive products. Not too many people I can think off the top of my head who have done all of that in the motorsports or automotive industry so hats off to your friend. R.I.P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am not doubting you. Apologies if you thought I was. I was just seeing that it was very slow at being reported. 

For me your expertise in this subject area is enough to convince me but I am trying to police my own deadpools with rigour and don't want to award points without the stated levels of proof applied across the board.

So sorry for your loss

No worries, I'm surprised the South African and Australian Motorsport media have been so fricking slow and useless.

The end has been nigh for a long while but it was still very sad news and he will be greatly missed. He effectively said goodbye to his wider group of friends last month.

But ever the DL'r, I put him in the ABC Deadpool! Didn't think he would QO for DDP but who knows what may happen.

@Ulitzer95, thank you. It was done late at night, that's my excuse.

@TheSpinosaurus, Basil did his own Wiki updates, so there is an element of over exaggeration there, but he was a bloody good driver. He was that close to being Jackie Stewart's team mate at Tyrrell before a crash ended all that. And he did invent a LOT! A far cleverer, more positive, more inspiratonial man that I could ever aspire to be. 

Braver too, he was terminally ill for just shy of a decade.

• Like 4

Sorry for your loss, OoO, sounds like a fascinating character.

So, Basil is only the 4th Grand Prix driver to die this year. The other three got QO's pretty easily. For some unknown reason (as he was far from obscure), pretty much ignored by motorsport press. Pathetic.

Anyway, I'm not sure what counts for various DPs so please find below. 

If it's proof he's dead only, it's all below. If it's like a DDP QO... I have to say it's unlikely.

https://tributes.smh.com.au/obituaries/490399/basil-van-rooyen/?r=https://tributes.smh.com.au/obituaries/smh-au/

https://theauto.page/classic/basil-van-rooyen/?fbclid=IwAR22hdWdFrFZrbNUTdcv4I-ZURiuskLmf2_cPRWs7Ze6r2LOcz6WHmzHw98&amp

https://www.picaluna.com/rsvpmaker/basil-van-rooyen/

• Like 3

Bird Clemente dies at the age of 85, born in São Paulo, he is considered the first professional driver in Brazil, receiving a salary to participate in races and having motor racing as a profession. The name was a tribute to Richard Byrd, admiral of the American Navy responsible for major explorations in the polar regions of the planet., he triumphed in the 25 Hours of Interlagos, the 500 km of Interlagos and the Brazilian Thousand Miles, giving the Ford Maverick its first victories in Brazil. Autosport named Bird one of the 50 best drivers in the world who didn't make it to Formula 1

Bird Clemente morre aos 85 anos - Notícia de Outras - Grande Prêmio (grandepremio.com.br)

Bird Clemente foi o primeiro piloto profissional do Brasil -  (crédito: Reprodução/Youtube/Automais oficial)

Mexican racing driver Carlos Alberto Gordoa Alvarez killed in an accident at the Carrera Panamericana https://en.as.com/racing/driver-dies-in-accident-during-the-pan-american-race-n

In other news, Jacques Laffite made a rare public appearance earlier this October attending a classic car event in France along with fellow racing drivers Henri Pescarolo and Jean Ragnotti. Laffite has Parkinson's but it still seems to be in the early stages, so the scavenger hunt teams who picked him probably aren't going to get a result here. 

• Like 2

Rumours on the German motorsport contingent on FaceBook, that Erich Zakowski, founder and team owner of the former Zakspeed Formula 1 team has died, just shy of his 90th birthday.

However, I've seen nothing from anyone I would class as an authoritative source yet. Suspect it's true but keeping an open mind.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Rumours on the German motorsport contingent on FaceBook, that Erich Zakowski, founder and team owner of the former Zakspeed Formula 1 team has died, just shy of his 90th birthday.

However, I've seen nothing from anyone I would class as an authoritative source yet. Suspect it's true but keeping an open mind.

Notice

• Like 3