honez

Winter Olympic Deaths

3 hours ago, BeretBleu said:

French skier David Poisson is dead after a fall during a training. 

https://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/Actualites/Le-skieur-francais-david-poisson-est-mort/850454

Oh c'mon.  It's too easy, I can't even say it.  Should I?  No I just can't....

Len Ceglarski, American ice hockey player who was part of the Silver medal winning team at the 1952 Oslo Olympics, has died aged 91. He went on to coach and was inducted into the US Hockey Hall of Fame in 1992.

Still don't understand the necessity of breaking out the Winter Olympics from the Olympic Deaths thread (**thread whoring** cough cough), but I'll play along.

Wendall “Chummy” Broomhall, an Olympian, one of the most decorated skiers in Maine history, died Saturday at the Maine Veterans’ Home in South Paris. He was 98.
Broomhall competed in the 1948 Winter Games in St. Moritz, Switzerland, and in the 1952 Games in Oslo, Norway.

SC

Here's some info about my DDP pick Jonny Nilsson, a Swedish 1964 ice skating olympic gold medalist. He was born in 1943 and was a candidate for the 2009 European Parliament election in Sweden.

Excerpts from an article from 30 Nov 2017 (with my own sloppy translation):

*The skating world champion has incurable cancer

*The prostate cancer was discovered too late and has spread to the bone

*Jonny Nilsson, 74, doesn't regret not taking a PSA-test earlier

*Was a top athlete in the 1960s, and won a World Cup gold, a World Cup bronze and an Olympic gold in ice skating. He set 5 world records and was pronounced the best Nordic athlete in 1964

*Discovered in the summer of 2017 that he had several tumours on his back bone, and metastasis in the skull bone and in one of his hips

*His PSA-value was 1000

*Treatments include castrate medicine & estrogen

*His disease described by the article as "deadly"

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/9mlP5p/varldsmastaren-i-skridsko-har-obotlig-cancer-jag-har-haft-ett-fantas

• Thanks 1

Bob Beattie, who coached the United States men's skiing team to its first Olympic medals in the 1960s, has died. He was 85.  As U.S. coach from 1961 to 1969, Beattie -- known as "Beats" or "Coach" to friends -- helped Billy Kidd (silver) and Jimmie Heuga (bronze) to medals in the men's slalom at the 1964 Winter Olympics.
SC

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Viktor Tyumenev, Soviet Ice Hockey player who won Gold at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics, has died aged 62.

Not much of a source, but an English language version nonetheless.  The Bobr Times will be happy to have been used as a journalistic source on this site, if only once.
https://bobrtimes.com/died-soviet-hockey-player-olympic-champion/81085/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Keith Christiansen, who was a member of the 1972 U.S. silver medal-winning hockey team, has died.  He was 74.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/4524629-bulldog-great-keith-huffer-christensen-dies-hospital

Interesting this guy never made the cut for an NHL franchise.  Just two years in WHA.  Univ Minn-Deluth a pretty powerful squad (now, maybe not then so much) and his was first jersey number retired -- amazing he didn't get to the NHL 'for a cup of coffee' (a real short time).

29 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Interesting this guy never made the cut for an NHL franchise.  Just two years in WHA.  Univ Minn-Deluth a pretty powerful squad (now, maybe not then so much) and his was first jersey number retired -- amazing he didn't get to the NHL 'for a cup of coffee' (a real short time).

He appears to have never been drafted.  Barring free agency signing, I guess it was the WHA or nothing.  

2 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Matti Nykanen, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and a ski jumping legend, has died.  He was 55.  Nykanen was an Olympic champion for Finland in 1984 and 1988.

https://newsbeezer.com/swedeneng/matti-nykanen-dead-the-finnish-legend-was-55-years-old/

Sad! Ski jumping's troubled genius.

Always someone destined for an early exit, and someone you occasionally looked up how bad they were looking now.

7 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Matti Nykanen, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and a ski jumping legend, has died.  He was 55.  Nykanen was an Olympic champion for Finland in 1984 and 1988.

https://newsbeezer.com/swedeneng/matti-nykanen-dead-the-finnish-legend-was-55-years-old/

Jeez, I actually saw this guy at Calgary 88.

His one-liners became popular. "Life is the best time we have." "Every chance is a possibility!" "Odds are 50-60 what happens." "When you jump, you're up there quite up yours". "Whenever I jump I get a bon-voyage feeling." "Tomorrow is always future". "It's pussy what's always on my mind but let's jump first"

Nykanen's final one-liner was "I understand that but my brain does not"

On 04/02/2019 at 03:30, bladan said:

His one-liners became popular. "Life is the best time we have." "Every chance is a possibility!" "Odds are 50-60 what happens." "When you jump, you're up there quite up yours". "Whenever I jump I get a bon-voyage feeling." "Tomorrow is always future". "It's pussy what's always on my mind but let's jump first"

Some good quotes there.  He's the Yogi Berra of Finland!

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Some good quotes there.  He's the Yogi Berra of Finland!

Also "Life is laiffii", "Love is like a ball of wool, it starts and ends", "I don't recommend antabus for anyone! When you're on it and drink, you feel absolutely awful", "I don't fall into the trap of acquiring prosperity", "Perhaps I was drunk, perhaps not, who cares so not I can jump" ('so not' has become a popular expression in Finland), "There are two kinds of people. Some take drugs, some are athletes, some bring themselves to their end and some just sleep. I belong to the part who sleep, do sports, make love and beat themselves, and perhaps you are bound to hit another people while doing that.", "I am a Russian although I don't wear red, I'm a communist but just act to do so. In reality I am a human being who walks and talks on the phone", "That's it, we buy potatoes in spring but elsewhere they buy them in autumn", "Your question sounds like a question", "Let's take a film like a film. When a film is made, it's a film.", "What's hasn't been done cannot be undone" and "I'm neither gay nor lesbian. Everything between goes"

Which one do you find his best?

His "Your question sounds like a question" is a good one. It buys you some time to think, it's always a good answer. The best possible answer in fact. I'm going to use that. I like also "What's hasn't been done cannot be undone"  – it could be the Final Truth

• Like 1

Whit a Life.

* forget the 6 marriages, all the arrests and jail time, the being a pop star, stripper or even being on a Best Korea postage stamp.

He married a sausage heiress Y5UOb.png

cena.gif

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, charon said:

Whit a Life.

* forget the 6 marriages, all the arrests and jail time, the being a pop star, stripper or even being on a Best Korea postage stamp.

He married a sausage heiress Y5UOb.png

One more classic from him "Everyone has eaten sausage. But how many of us have eaten a well overdone Tapola?" Of course that one had nothing to do with his then-wife Tapola, an aging sausage heiress

Don't get me wrong, he was a genius. Streets apart from anyone else

cena.gif

2 hours ago, bladan said:

aging sausage heiress

Somebody has copied my default online dating site search.

• Haha 1