Godot

Julian Assange

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Hmm, so he met a woman and knocked her up whilst effectively in captivity and now he's a suicide risk. It's all about him and the man's a wizard at any major personal or health-related dodge that'll avoid him being held responsible for owt. 

Or am I just a tad cynical?:unsure:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm, so he met a woman and knocked her up whilst effectively in captivity and now he's a suicide risk. It's all about him and the man's a wizard at any major personal or health-related dodge that'll avoid him being held responsible for owt. 

Or am I just a tad cynical?:unsure:

Not particularly cynical in my view. He's just yet another self-absorbed twat, albeit one with a supposedly humanitarian agenda.

However, the US isn't known for being what others might call 'fair' in its treatment of people it considers have acted treasonously. So personally I'm glad that so far the extradition attempt has failed.

The things Assange and Manning (even Snowden) have exposed don't to me show that the US is exactly an unimpeachable 'good guy'. Illegal wars, unjustifiable invasions,  questionable meddling in other nations affairs in general etc etc.

Besides, they won't even countenance handing over Anne Sacoulas for a trial here. So fuck 'em. 

Balls, I got political. Damn. Still I suppose it's hard not to in a thread about Assange.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, En Passant said:

Not particularly cynical in my view. He's just yet another self-absorbed twat, albeit one with a supposedly humanitarian agenda.

However, the US isn't known for being what others might call 'fair' in its treatment of people it considers have acted treasonously. So personally I'm glad that so far the extradition attempt has failed.

The things Assange and Manning (even Snowden) have exposed don't to me show that the US is exactly an unimpeachable 'good guy'. Illegal wars, unjustifiable invasions,  questionable meddling in other nations affairs in general etc etc.

Besides, they won't even countenance handing over Anne Sacoulas for a trial here. So fuck 'em. 

Balls, I got political. Damn. Still I suppose it's hard not to in a thread about Assange.

Anne Sacoulas, yeah...I heard a rumour all her kids got motorbikes for Christmas. Maybe it was just a rumour.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Anne Sacoulas, yeah...I heard a rumour all her kids got motorbikes for Christmas. Maybe it was just a rumour.  :rolleyes:

Gawds Mary, you do have the absolute darkest sense of humour on occasion. Are you Jerry Sadowitz in disguise? :D

I'll admit, that affair does rather jaundice me on any holier-than-thou US pronouncements (as if I weren't before).

It's not as if they are even claiming our justice isn't up to their almighty standards and they want to ensure she faces a fair trial there, they've just let her walk. No crime committed in the US so no foul.

And our lot just accept it. Rules of the game old chap, diplomatic immunity what what?

And in the meantime 2 parents are grieving a kid who was killed by a woman driving on entirely the wrong side of the road.

So yeah, fuck the US and their extradition request.

Bugger all to do with Assange though, sorry about that. Oh, and incidentally, I erred, it can't even be treasonous of course, he's an Australian.

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Bugger all to do with Assange though, sorry about that. Oh, and incidentally, I erred, it can't even be treasonous of course, he's an Australian.

That won't matter in a country where the Rolling Stones are accused of being "unAmerican". :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Gawds Mary, you do have the absolute darkest sense of humour on occasion. Are you Jerry Sadowitz in disguise? :D

I'll admit, that affair does rather jaundice me on any holier-than-thou US pronouncements (as if I weren't before).

It's not as if they are even claiming our justice isn't up to their almighty standards and they want to ensure she faces a fair trial there, they've just let her walk. No crime committed in the US so no foul.

And our lot just accept it. Rules of the game old chap, diplomatic immunity what what?

And in the meantime 2 parents are grieving a kid who was killed by a woman driving on entirely the wrong side of the road.

So yeah, fuck the US and their extradition request.

Indeed he is an Aussie, so assuming he's released and drives on local roads in the UK you'd assuming oncoming motorcyclists are safe, then!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Toast said:

That won't matter in a country where the Rolling Stones are accused of being "unAmerican". :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Despite what it may appear from these boards, I don't hate the place, my father and uncle lived there for decades and I spent a fair amount of time there myself in various locations,  Missouri, even Texas and California :wacko: and I thought the people were mostly wonderful.

But they do have a propensity for being a little, hm, not cosmopolitan maybe? Insular? Don't know exactly but something like that.

16 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Indeed he is an Aussie, so assuming he's released and drives on local roads in the UK you'd assuming oncoming motorcyclists are safe, then!

Jerry! It is you and icm £5.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Jerry! It is you and icm £5.

The Cumbrian accent (even when posting) suggests you've no £5 to claim. I will admit - however - that Sadowitz is one comedian I make an effort to see live and when I do the man cracks me up. 

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

The Cumbrian accent (even when posting)

Not a trace Eliza. Though you can keep the fiver, I knew well enough the fallacy of my claim.

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Sadowitz is one comedian I make an effort to see live and when I do the man cracks me up. 

Unsurprising really.

6 hours ago, arghton said:

Apparently he had a mini-stroke in October that has left him with memory problems and signs of neurological damage:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10300037/Julian-Assange-stroke-Belmarsh-prison-Fianc-e-blames-extreme-stress.html

They're playing it up. I imagine as a tactic to try and play in his favour against an extradition to the U.S. given the recent ruling.

My personal hunch is there's nothing immediately wrong with him.

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I thought the man with the big grey beard in the picture at the top of the live feed actually was Assange for a second. Really wouldn't surprise me if that's how he looked these days. 

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Haven't read the entire thing, but the bits at the top seem to suggest he's "ill" so not at court, rather than he's at death's door and not able to attend court. The fact they say they're not sure whether he'll attend court tomorrow suggests it may be a bug, rather than something more sinister.

In Sydney atm and actually passed demonstrators with banners in support of him (he's an Aussie after all) in the city today

He should be freed immediately, the public has the right to know everything and anything our elected politicians get up to in their working lives, Julian Assange is a hero, a true beacon for the free press we deserve

• Like 2

This is my favourite comedy clip about Assange, including Micky Flanagan's description of him and the late Sean Lock's "what Assange sounds like":

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

This is my favourite comedy clip about Assange, including Micky Flanagan's description of him and the late Sean Lock's "what Assange sounds like":

I've never watched that programme.  Are women not allowed to speak in it?

1 hour ago, Brad252 said:

One of the many times Sean Lock made me weep laughing, the first time I saw that skit. God I miss that bloke.

• Facepalm 1