Davey Jones' Locker

Academic Footnotes

Can't believe I actually completely missed Raymond Smullyan's death seeing as he was on my own personal 2017 list! Probably due to the lack of reliable news sources...

• Like 1

Smullyan received a Telegraph obit last week (behind paywall).

Donald Balmer, a fixture in Oregon politics whose work as a Lewis & Clark professor led hundreds to careers as elected officials, ambassadors, civil servants and even members of Congress, died in Portland Saturday from complications of Parkinson's disease. He was 90.

During his half century on the faculty at Lewis & Clark College, Balmer taught everything from constitutional law, political theory and American politics to economic regulation, environmental and natural resource politics and public administration.

SC

Two deaths in Italy. Great literature critic Giorgio Barberi Squarotti died on April the 9th aged 87 and politologist Giovanni Sartori died on April the 1st (not a joke) aged 92 after a respiratory crysis.

9 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

American philosopher Hubert Dreyfus has died at the age of 87.

Another big miss for my theme team.

A big name in computer philosophy. Only Roger Searle is left from that generation, with Minsky, Putnam and Dreyfus dead.

• Like 1

Hmm, Dreyfus needs an obituary/article for the Hare's Pool. Blogs don't count. We'll see a report soon I'd hope.

Take a look at @hubertdreyfus's Tweet:

Not that this is a qualifying obituary but Huberts passing has been confirmed on his twitter account clearly by a family member or friend with access. 

Raymond Smullyan all over again.

Still no obits for Dreyfus. 

Good enough?

From his Telegraph obit:

Raymond Merrill Smullyan was born on May 25 1919 in Far Rockaway, New York, and recalled that his first induction into the joys of logical paradoxes came on April Fools Day 1925 when, aged five, he was ill in bed and his older brother Emile bounced into his bedroom and promised to fool him as he had never been fooled before. All day long, young Raymond waited for Emile to carry out his promise, but by bedtime nothing had happened. “So, you expected me to fool you, didn’t you?” asked Emile.

“Yes,” responded Raymond.

“But I didn’t, did I? So I fooled you, didn’t I!”

“Fooling means I don’t get what I expect,” Smullyan reflected later. “I expected to be fooled. But if I was fooled, then I did get what I expected. So in what sense could I have been fooled? It’s a real paradox.”

BBC news referenced Dreyfus just a few weeks ago, so I'd expect a QO of some sort before too long. News travels slow in academia.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Good enough?

So so.

4 minutes ago, drol said:

So so.

Still a blog...

I think this will do?

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I think this will do?

About bloody time...yep.

Economist and Federal Reserve Historian Allan Meltzer dead at 89:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-09/allan-meltzer-who-wrote-history-of-federal-reserve-dies-at-89

Second pick of my 2015 economics theme team to die this week (after Baumol, who didn't obit). So a list of the missed entry.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Economist and Federal Reserve Historian Allan Meltzer dead at 89:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-09/allan-meltzer-who-wrote-history-of-federal-reserve-dies-at-89

Second pick of my 2015 economics theme team to die this week (after Baumol, who didn't obit). So a list of the missed entry.

There is still time; have faith, young reptile.

Philosopher Karl-Otto Apel passed away May 15th. The founder of Transcendental Pragmatics.

On 17/5/2017 at 08:28, theoldlady said:

Philosopher Karl-Otto Apel passed away May 15th. The founder of Transcendental Pragmatics.

I dropped him from my personal 50 this year. The shock may have finished him off.

• Like 4