Grim Reaper

Helmut Schmidt

Another birthday for him. 96 today :old: but seems to be fit as ever...

I will smoke an extra fag tonight in his honour.

They used to do it all the time for the Chancellor's birthday in the 1940s...

I'll get my coat.

• Like 3

I'll get my coat.

Ha!

I'll get my coat.

I feel like a bad person for laughing at that joke...

2 former German chancellors on the list and its the ex president Richard von Weizacker who dies http://www.dw.de/former-german-president-richard-von-weizsäcker-dies/a-18227460 You couldn't make it up could you !

You could… He was 94, recently resigned from his last public "office" (as chairman of the Bergedorf Round Table), so his death could not come as a genuine surprise.

However, unlike Schmidt and Kohl, he was not very well known internationally, as the president has little substantive role in the German political system. If you do hear about them, it's because of a scandal like in the case of Christian Wulff (who was acquitted of corruption).

Guest Guest

2 former German chancellors on the list and its the ex president Richard von Weizacker who dies http://www.dw.de/former-german-president-richard-von-weizsäcker-dies/a-18227460 You couldn't make it up could you !

You could… He was 94, recently resigned from his last public "office" (as chairman of the Bergedorf Round Table), so his death could not come as a genuine surprise.

However, unlike Schmidt and Kohl, he was not very well known internationally, as the president has little substantive role in the German political system. If you do hear about them, it's because of a scandal like in the case of Christian Wulff (who was acquitted of corruption).

Or because you research such things.

You could He was 94, recently resigned from his last public "office" (as chairman of the Bergedorf Round Table), so his death could not come as a genuine surprise.

Wulff's case made the news in my country. But normally I can't really hear about anything related to the presidents. Merkel, Schröder and Kohl were mentioned every week in one of our national newspapers, cause they have the ability to shape German politics and even the future of the EU. It's a telltale sign of who the real boss is when the German chancellor gets more press coverage in the debate on Britain's 2 bn surcharge than Olli Rehn (who was the European Commissioner for Economic Affairs).

Guest Guest

You could He was 94, recently resigned from his last public "office" (as chairman of the Bergedorf Round Table), so his death could not come as a genuine surprise.

Wulff's case made the news in my country. But normally I can't really hear about anything related to the presidents. Merkel, Schröder and Kohl were mentioned every week in one of our national newspapers, cause they have the ability to shape German politics and even the future of the EU. It's a telltale sign of who the real boss is when the German chancellor gets more press coverage in the debate on Britain's 2 bn surcharge than Olli Rehn (who was the European Commissioner for Economic Affairs).

Agreed.

He has written a new book called "Was ich noch sagen wollte" (What I still wanted to say) which is going to be published:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/helmut-schmidt-ich-hatte-eine-geliebte-a-1021693.html(link in german)

The major revelation is that he had an extramarital affair in the late 60s/early 70s. The rumours were there before but now he acknowledges them for the first time. The book sounds as if this is going to be his last, and while I am certain that he is not going to die this year, he is a good guess in 2016. And I think Schmidt feels it.

He recently presented a new project about how to keep working at a higher age and said:"We have to work longer and we can do it. Just look at me, I am 96 and still work 30-40 hours a week."

http://www.mopo.de/nachrichten/altkanzler-outet-sich-helmut-schmidt---ich-arbeite-40-stunden-in-der-woche-,5067140,30390958.html

Though I wonder how many people can do this if they cannot live on their book sales (and pension) as a former politician of international stature.

Guest awesome guest

He recently presented a new project about how to keep working at a higher age and said:"We have to work longer and we can do it. Just look at me, I am 96 and still work 30-40 hours a week."

http://www.mopo.de/nachrichten/altkanzler-outet-sich-helmut-schmidt---ich-arbeite-40-stunden-in-der-woche-,5067140,30390958.html

Though I wonder how many people can do this if they cannot live on their book sales (and pension) as a former politician of international stature.

when he dies his headline should be "breakable Helmut Schmidt"

He sat down for another hour-long interview with his favorite TV-journalist Sandra Maischberger yesterday, you can watch it here (though I'm not sure it can be seen outside of Germany):

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/talk/menschen-bei-maischberger/sendung/28042015-100.html

He was in adequate shape, better than the last time, actually. He said that he doesn't want to become 100 but can't prevent it either. He doesn't expect to live until 2020 which is when the menthol cigarette ban begins, and so he feels it's unnecessary to familiarize himself with e-cigarettes.

Hospitalized again:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/gefaessverschluss-helmut-schmidt-auf-der-intensivstation-a-1050976.html(link in german)

He has, and I hope I translate it correctly, a vascular occlusion in the right leg. Friends say, this condition is not immediately life-threatening, but it doesn't look good. The doctors say that surgery would be difficult, because his arteries are not in the best shape anymore.

Honestly, it sounds as if he might go down the Zsa Zsa-road: the leg might have to be removed. And apparently, his formerly rock-solid constitution is now beginning to die away.

Edit: Reading some more, they'll decide on surgery tomorrow. The problem is that his old age makes surgery complicated, because organs might be cut off from blood support. I also wonder if his chain-smoking plays a role here.

Hospitalized again:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/gefaessverschluss-helmut-schmidt-auf-der-intensivstation-a-1050976.html(link in german)

He has, and I hope I translate it correctly, a vascular occlusion in the right leg. Friends say, this condition is not immediately life-threatening, but it doesn't look good. The doctors say that surgery would be difficult, because his arteries are not in the best shape anymore.

Honestly, it sounds as if he might go down the Zsa Zsa-road: the leg might have to be removed. And apparently, his formerly rock-solid constitution is now beginning to die away.

Edit: Reading some more, they'll decide on surgery tomorrow. The problem is that his old age makes surgery complicated, because organs might be cut off from blood support. I also wonder if his chain-smoking plays a role here.

Difficult to say whether smoking caused it or old age.Could easily be either or a combination of both.

"He can already smile again":

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/helmut-schmidt/gesundheitszustand-bessert-sich-42421790.bild.html(link in german)

He's not in pain, as the doctors are discussing if the blood clot (?) can be dissolved with drugs and a catheter. Surgery would be the last, most radical option.

His former hospitalization last month was caused by dehydration during the hot summer and because of the exhaustion after a procedure to change his pacemaker batteries. There was a second minor procedure apart from that, but they don't specify what it was.

I hope that doesn't mean he will have his German citizenship revoked.

I hope that doesn't mean he will have his German citizenship revoked.

Hehe yes, and Schmidt is a rather serious person anyway, only allowing himself a smile if he wants to imply some politically incorrect thought. One of his most famous quotes is: "If a politician has a vision, he should go to the doctor."

• Like 1

Hospitalized again:

Like America?

Is Schmidt the oldest living current celebrity smoker?The only others over 70 I can think of are:

June Brown 88

Stuart Hall 85
Antony Booth 83
Lionel Blair 83
Willie Nelson 82 (weed only now)
Glenda Jackson 79
Vanessa Redgrave 78
Jack Nicholson 78
David Hockney 78
Tommy Chong 77 (weed)
Al Pacino 75
Queen Magrethe II 75
Ken Clarke 75 (cigars)
Julie Goodyear 73

Penny Marshall 71
Joni Mitchell 71 -until stroke at least
Keith Richards 71 -Tobacco and weed and everything else probably.
Laila Morse 70
Howard Marks 70-weed

• Like 1

Is Schmidt the oldest living current celebrity smoker?The only others over 70 I can think of are:

June Brown 88

Stuart Hall 85

Antony Booth 83

Lionel Blair 83

Willie Nelson 82 (weed only now)

Glenda Jackson 79

Vanessa Redgrave 78

Jack Nicholson 78

David Hockney 78

Tommy Chong 77 (weed)

Al Pacino 75

Queen Magrethe II 75

Ken Clarke 75 (cigars)

Julie Goodyear 73

Penny Marshall 71

Joni Mitchell 71 -until stroke at least

Keith Richards 71 -Tobacco and weed and everything else probably.

Laila Morse 70

Howard Marks 70-weed

I don't think Keith ever smoked his dad's ashes but he did snort them. :burnash: