Grim Reaper

Helmut Schmidt

Late in the day now for my entry. But I'll take the next available. 23rd November. However, I'm sure he will be gone within the week.

I wish I could translate all these news sites but I can't how screwed is he

Not responsive anymore:

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/helmut-schmidt/wie-schlecht-geht-es-dem-altkanzler-43328282.bild.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter(link in german)

This, however, is one of Germany's less reliable papers. The biggest tabloid.

Edit: His personal doctor apparently said that Schmidt has high fever (39* Celsius) because of an "unclear infection" and his body has "hardly any resistance" left. Ahem, and there are also a couple of "onlookers and reporters" around the house.

That raises a couple of questions though. Did anyone permit his personal physician to publicly speculate when he'd die?

Isn't there any legislation in Germany preventing doctors from... divulging medical secrets? Or at least the Hippocratic Oath?

Now I have an answer to that, because yes, doctors are meant to keep the secrets of their patients, but according to this article:

https://de.nachrichten.yahoo.com/helmut-schmidt-nur-sehr-selten-060948711.html(german link)

Schmidt's daughter has given his personal doctor the permission to talk. He says that in the past two days, Schmidt has only rarely been conscious. Schmidt "should be moved to a hospital" but it was his wish to stay at home. Also, asked whether Schmidt would ever recover again, he says "No, sadly I don't believe that."

Isn't there any legislation in Germany preventing doctors from... divulging medical secrets? Or at least the Hippocratic Oath?

Now I have an answer to that, because yes, doctors are meant to keep the secrets of their patients, but according to this article:

https://de.nachrichten.yahoo.com/helmut-schmidt-nur-sehr-selten-060948711.html(german link)

Schmidt's daughter has given his personal doctor the permission to talk. He says that in the past two days, Schmidt has only rarely been conscious. Schmidt "should be moved to a hospital" but it was his wish to stay at home. Also, asked whether Schmidt would ever recover again, he says "No, sadly I don't believe that."

Thanks for the update. Things look grim indeed. I can't read the interview in the Hamburger Abendblatt, but in the assumption that de.nachrichten.yahoo.com didn't make it all up, this sounds very much like Schmidt's Schluss.

Thanks for the update. Things look grim indeed. I can't read the interview in the Hamburger Abendblatt, but in the assumption that de.nachrichten.yahoo.com didn't make it all up, this sounds very much like Schmidt's Schluss.

Yes, that interview is being reported by many different newspapers. Someone in the 14th death of 2015 has posted an english translation of that article.

I'll go for Christmas Day 2015, if I'm going to be wrong, it might as well be a celebration anyway.

Guest Guest

he died

RIP....

A personal hero of mine (both of the people on the Death List I would like to meet, are dead now), though his actual political actions were not all completely successful. But he had an air of "elder statesman" around him and became the "conscience of the nation" in his last decade of life. He was a contrast to the more pedestrian, power-conscious, ruthless Kohl.

• Like 7

Schmidt another hit? (A record hit with Schmidt?)

• Like 1

For the Tagline how about Helmut still smoking in his coffin.Granted it only works if he is being cremated.

Guest Lá an Lúbáin

Vollkornbrot

No DDP team had him as their joker, so how about "He was a smoker, not a joker". (Steve Miller Band ref.)

• Like 2

Guest Gemineye22

"Schmidt happens!"

• Like 1

Guest Guest

RIP Helmut.

This could accelerate the death of Henry Kissinger who has said he can't imagine living in a world without Schmidt.4 hits in less than 6 weeks with more than 7 to go till the end of year. Surely this is finally the year that stubborn record of 14 will be broken /!

Yes, this is sad.

I hope the other Helmut will follow soon.

So who will be the record breaker