Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Jetty Paerl, who represented the Netherlands as the first performer in the first Eurovision Song Contest with the song "De vogels van Holland" in 1956, died on August 22, 2013 aged 92.

Link in Dutch: http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2686/Binnenland/article/detail/3497538/2013/08/23/Zangeres-Jetty-Paerl-92-overleden.dhtml

• Like 1

I think "people alive from the first X Eurovisions" is an undertaking that'll happen pretty soon on here. The last surviving performer at the first Eurovision would get a UK obit, right?

I think "people alive from the first X Eurovisions" is an undertaking that'll happen pretty soon on here. The last surviving performer at the first Eurovision would get a UK obit, right?

Lys Assia definitely will.

As for the others still with us Freddy Quinn and Corry Brokken should get obits, Mathé Altéry and Tonina Torrielli probably won't other than own country / ESC sites and Mony Marc seems to have disappeared so won't other than a mention on ESC sites.

Guest Johnny Biggs

Why does the UK keep entering the Eurovision contest when we submit acts who are streets behind current trends sometimes decades.

Had we went with

when they applied it would have won a few years ago.

Why does the UK keep entering the Eurovision contest when we submit acts who are streets behind current trends sometimes decades.

Had we went with

when they applied it would have won a few years ago.

We don't want to win though. It's too expensive.

If we'd wanted to win Eurovision we'd have done it decades ago...

• Like 2

If we'd wanted to win Eurovision we'd have done it decades ago...

We did. 1967,1969, 1976, 1981, 1997.

Although it'll possibly be overshadowed by the death of Lou Reed, Vinko Coce who came 6th in the 1994 Dora (Yugoslavian Eurovision pre-selection) with this rather entertaining piece of schlager, has died. Not sure what of, but judging by his size, I'll go with a heart attack or similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_n1H-GWxz0

• Like 1

Always a shame when anyone whose name is an anagram of "ovine cock" dies.

Guest April

Senit who represented San Marino in 2011 is in a coma from a ski accident

Senit who represented San Marino in 2011 is in a coma from a ski accident

Judging by the photos and videos on her Facebook page, she's got better.

Guest August Gloop

UK this year has 66/1 odds from bookmaker. Uk and Spain have not had a competitive entry in years,it's a disgrace they still automatically get finals qualification. The other big 4 country Germany even in music show they are a much more worthy competitor to the rest of the continent while England still lives off things they did in the 60s.

I'm not sure, but this seems to have been missed - Bob Allison from UK's 1961 Eurovision contestants the Allisons died November 25th.

I'm not sure, but this seems to have been missed - Bob Allison from UK's 1961 Eurovision contestants the Allisons died November 25th.

It was posted 4 posts above yours by OoO.

It was posted 4 posts above yours by OoO.

Ah, I searched Allison not 1961 ( and I did say I wasn't sure).

Guest Maurice

Are any of the Russian Grannies still alive

I know it's mentioned in the "Foreign Personalities"-thread, but I think that the death* of Swedens very first ESC-contestant from 1958 also belongs to this thread: http://www.thelocal....bs-dies-aged-90

*Edit: death, not dead...

An interesting little piece of trivia - 1982 is now the oldest Eurovision year with no dead singers.

• Like 2

An interesting little piece of trivia - 1982 is now the oldest Eurovision year with no dead singers.

The sad thing is that one part of my brain can still hum an approximation of the refrain to One Step Further the UK entry in that year by Bardo. The winner A Little Peace by Nicole became the 500th UK No. 1 single.

A timely reminder that husband and wife duo Pearl Carr (b, 1923) and Teddy Johnson (b, 1920) both appear to be alive. Definitely obitable (probs aided by Monty Python giving their 1959 Eurovision song "Sing Little Birdie" a revival).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Carr_%26_Teddy_Johnson

• Like 1

Guest Zorders Mum

I really fancied that Bake The Cake song. Reminds me when I used to make sweets for my little ones.