The Unknown Man

Ideas And Possibilities For 2013

Kenneth Baker (former UK conservative education secretary) and Kenny Baker (R2-D2) were both born 1934.

I wonder if anyone ever gets them confused.

Kenneth Baker is only 77 and I can't find any health info on him.

Kenny Baker might be a better bet, he's had a few health issues over the past year or two.

I thought midgets/dwarfs/vertically challenged people don't live very long. 78 must be a record for little people .

But there is no beating good old bilbo :

Is Niemeyer going to pull a Zsa Zsa? Will he last until the new year? According to most news sources, he has got at the most a few days but that has been said before.

Is Niemeyer going to pull a Zsa Zsa? Will he last until the new year? According to most news sources, he has got at the most a few days but that has been said before.

Aye, and Zsa Zsa - I believe - holds some kind of DL record for having received the last rites the most times without dying. Neimeyer would be nailed on on 1st Jan in the unlikely event he was still with us by then.

Aye, and Zsa Zsa - I believe - holds some kind of DL record for having received the last rites the most times without dying. Neimeyer would be nailed on on 1st Jan in the unlikely event he was still with us by then.

Don't go tempting providence...

At least Oscar lacks an attention grubbing spouse that would force him to linger on whilst barely breathing...

• Like 1

Guest theGraveyardlover

How about science fiction writers Frederick Pohl, and Jack Vance? Both men are into their nineties, Vance now 96+. I would also suggest U.S. Senator Robert Dole, in poor health, and actress Mary Tyler Moore, likewise. For that ammter, actress Louise Currie, now 99.

Chuck Pagano the Indianapolis Colts head coach. His leukemia has returned

How about science fiction writers Frederick Pohl, and Jack Vance? Both men are into their nineties, Vance now 96+. I would also suggest U.S. Senator Robert Dole, in poor health, and actress Mary Tyler Moore, likewise. For that ammter, actress Louise Currie, now 99.

Good calls but it's more Dole and Tyler Moore to grab the headlines for me.

Guest Guest

we seem to be in a run of Corrie deaths with Betty Driver Geoffrey Hughes and Bill Tarmey all gone in the last year or so.Liz Dawn appeared frail and in a wheelchair at Tarmeys funeral today so is probably favourite to go next,sadly.Might be worth a bet on Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden) though.

we seem to be in a run of Corrie deaths with Betty Driver Geoffrey Hughes and Bill Tarmey all gone in the last year or so.Liz Dawn appeared frail and in a wheelchair at Tarmeys funeral today so is probably favourite to go next,sadly.Might be worth a bet on Jean Alexander (Hilda Ogden) though.

Not forgetting Davy Jones!

I wouldn't bet on Jean Alexander but Barbara Knox might be a possibilty.

Hans Kristian Rausing remains hoplessly addicted with a history of self-destruction, nailed on news coverage if he goes.

Hans Kristian Rausing remains hoplessly addicted with a history of self-destruction, nailed on news coverage if he goes.

Nah, he's just spinning us a yarn...

Guest Wildbill

Long time lurker, first time poster. Another forum I'm on has been running a celebrity dead pool successfully for a few years now.

This year we've been having problems with people "angle shooting" in the sense that they are picking people who are not indeed celebs.

We've been discussing and arguing the issue to death over how to vet whether or not someone is indeed a celebrity. For example, "world's oldest" whatever shouldn't qualify as a true celeb?

I'm a little worried that our 2013 pool might not happen as we are unable to come to a consensus, vetting option for celebrity status.

Sorry if this isn't being posted in the appropriate area, however I searched around and couldn't find one one.

Any ideas, suggestions for this issue?

Not forgetting Davy Jones!

I wouldn't bet on Jean Alexander but Barbara Knox might be a possibilty.

Why not? Knox is 79 and has no major health problems as far as I know, Jean Alexander is 86

Long time lurker, first time poster. Another forum I'm on has been running a celebrity dead pool successfully for a few years now.

This year we've been having problems with people "angle shooting" in the sense that they are picking people who are not indeed celebs.

We've been discussing and arguing the issue to death over how to vet whether or not someone is indeed a celebrity. For example, "world's oldest" whatever shouldn't qualify as a true celeb?

I'm a little worried that our 2013 pool might not happen as we are unable to come to a consensus, vetting option for celebrity status.

Sorry if this isn't being posted in the appropriate area, however I searched around and couldn't find one one.

The DerbyDeadPool rules are if a person's death is mentioned in a national newspaper, then they count as a celebrity.

Guest tony southern

Wallace himself Peter Sallis from last of the summer wine is in poor health at 92 as is frank 'captain peacock' thornton at 91, surely maggie thatcher as well and prince phillip

There are a lot of different ways to handle this issue. In the league that I'm in, at least half of the other contestants must say they've heard of a new candidate or he/she is permanently banned. Once a celeb has been in the league, they can't be challenged. My league is small so we can use a rule like this. Other options are like what the Derby Dead Pool uses, they must be mentioned in one of several national newspapers/websites. Another idea is that any celeb must have a wikipedia page. I would suggest that the New York Times could be used as a yardstick. It seems to me that anyone of any real celebrity is mentioned there. On the issue of extreme old age, my own feeling is that if a person has lived to a remarkable age, that is an accomplishment worthy of celebrity. Others, obviously feel differently. I hope you reach consensus.

Guest Bugsy62

Maureen O'Hara, God bless her, at 92 years old must be a fair bet for 2013!

There are a lot of different ways to handle this issue. In the league that I'm in, at least half of the other contestants must say they've heard of a new candidate or he/she is permanently banned. Once a celeb has been in the league, they can't be challenged. My league is small so we can use a rule like this. Other options are like what the Derby Dead Pool uses, they must be mentioned in one of several national newspapers/websites. Another idea is that any celeb must have a wikipedia page. I would suggest that the New York Times could be used as a yardstick. It seems to me that anyone of any real celebrity is mentioned there. On the issue of extreme old age, my own feeling is that if a person has lived to a remarkable age, that is an accomplishment worthy of celebrity. Others, obviously feel differently. I hope you reach consensus.

Dead Pooling in the UK isn't exactly a high-profile commercial business, so if you nick someone else's rules - as in literally rip and paste them - and all agree to abide by them...sorted!