Jump to content
BirdieNumNums

1. Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Recommended Posts

Well no presenters in black on the BBC I’m

watching.

 

Just spoke to my friend the former Royal butler. He doubts the perception some have that the Duke is seriously unwell, citing the fact that the Queen is absent and the fact that Philip walked into the hospital unaided. 
 

More importantly, he also said if anything does happen to the Duke after the 10pm news, it won’t be reported until 8am.

 

123F3A9F-1B90-4FB0-AF78-95D7043B17BD.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

That's an interesting one. Peter Sissons announced the Queen Mother's death but don't know if he just happened to be on presenting duties that day anyway

Martyn Lewis was called into to front the coverage relating to Diana. Granted that was in the middle of the night

Sissons was on Duty. Lewis just happened to live near TVC so was able to come in - announce the crash - go home- come back to announce the death,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Yes, but in the days before her death the Royal Household didn't issue a statement saying "Aye, she's fucked noo".

 

Albeit a much-loved public figure, she also wasn't the consort of the reigning monarch. And neither did they say 'she's in good spirits'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, soapywater said:

BBC would get Huw or Fiona in for this news

 

I hope that it's neither of the gruesome twosome. Huw Edwards has a massive Welsh inferiority complex. His tailor must have big problems with the massive chip on his shoulder. Fiona Bruce is a vain narcissist who can't get that smug smirk off her face. But she is better than Emily Maitliss who looks and sounds like a a neurotic cokehead. My vote goes to Clive Myrie.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RoverAndOut said:

 

Albeit a much-loved public figure, she also wasn't the consort of the reigning monarch.

 

At the time of her death she was the most beloved member of the Royal Family (bar Diana's ghost). 

She was a Queen and former Empress, both of which outranks Philips status.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite folk knowing she was frail, there was nowt on Margaret until she died - likely as her final illness was relatively quick.

 

There was regular bulletins on George VI but...the last ones had been of improved health as it wasn't the cancer which did for him in the end, it was heart failure brought on by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Windsor said:

 

Yes, but in the days before her death the Royal Household didn't issue a statement saying "Aye, she's fucked noo".

 

Aye it was just mentioned she wasnt in the best of health but no news that she was "entering her final journey" or any of that bs from the 1930s then they literally killed the King to make the newspapers. Apparently the Queen Mother knew she was on her way out for so long she got people around individually to say goodbye. 

 

Could Phillip be doing the same now? Saying goodbye to people in advance? If so you'd have to wonder why he's staying in a hospital rather than going home. I'm trying to think of why they may do this in a pandemic but can't think of any...all in all lets be honest he'll probably be out laughing in front of the cameras in a few days

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LovelyVincent said:

Could Phillip be doing the same now? Saying goodbye to people in advance? If so you'd have to wonder why he's staying in a hospital rather than going home. I'm trying to think of why they may do this in a pandemic but can't think of any...all in all lets be honest he'll probably be out laughing in front of the cameras in a few days

 

This. Exactly this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:
3 minutes ago, LovelyVincent said:

Could Phillip be doing the same now? Saying goodbye to people in advance? If so you'd have to wonder why he's staying in a hospital rather than going home. I'm trying to think of why they may do this in a pandemic but can't think of any...all in all lets be honest he'll probably be out laughing in front of the cameras in a few days

 

This. Exactly this

 

If he was dying he wouldn't have been taken to hospital. They would rather he pegged it at Windsor - it looks better to history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

 

Albeit a much-loved public figure, she also wasn't the consort of the reigning monarch. And neither did they say 'she's in good spirits'.

 

No, just knocking them back.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, msc said:

Despite folk knowing she was frail, there was nowt on Margaret until she died - likely as her final illness was relatively quick.

 

There was regular bulletins on George VI but...the last ones had been of improved health as it wasn't the cancer which did for him in the end, it was heart failure brought on by it.

 

 

Yep that's my recollection too. Turned on the Television on a Saturday morning and the BBC were reporting it. To the best of my recollection there wasn't a huge amount of talk about her prior to this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, msc said:

Despite folk knowing she was frail, there was nowt on Margaret until she died - likely as her final illness was relatively quick.

 

There was regular bulletins on George VI but...the last ones had been of improved health as it wasn't the cancer which did for him in the end, it was heart failure brought on by it.

She had a stroke Friday daytime  - had heart problems- died early hours of Sunday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't imagine the Sunday Times would print that if it's likely by the time many people read it Philip is dead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Toast said:

 

No, just knocking them back.

 

Ah my favourite Queen Mum story in one of those books about the royal family. Someone gifted her a vast amount of champagne ahead of a family visit in her 90s, and she thanked them and said "And if they don't show up, I'll polish it off myself!" :D

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Windsor said:

 

If he was dying he wouldn't have been taken to hospital. They would rather he pegged it at Windsor - it looks better to history.

What could also have happened is that he rushed to the hospital bc he wasn’t feeling well, but his condition worsened so they kept him there and won’t bring him back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Old Crem said:

Can't imagine the Sunday Times would print that if it's likely by the time many people read it Philip is dead.

 

Well it would ring alarm bells if they didn't publish a front page,  so there best off taking an article which would be going on their website anyway, and using that as a placeholder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ECG said:

 

Well it would ring alarm bells if they didn't publish a front page,  so there best off taking an article which would be going on their website anyway, and using that as a placeholder.

I don't mean changing it but say if he dies at 2pm tomorrow a lot of people don't read the papers till the evening - that headline seems very trivial if that is the case. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if our National Grid will cope with the spike in demand with all those TVs and Radios switched on at 07:59 tomorrow morning. I'd better put the kettle on at 07:54 just in case.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

I don't mean changing it but say if he dies at 2pm tomorrow a lot of people don't read the papers till the evening - that headline seems very trivial if that is the case. 

 

 

Very true, but I reckon that given how the Royal Family has been quite hush-hush about the matter, most readers would probably take the view that the publishers couldn't have known about the death before publication. Despite the speculation online, people appreciate news organisations holding themselves to slightly higher standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

What could also have happened is that he rushed to the hospital bc he wasn’t feeling well, but his condition worsened so they kept him there and won’t bring him back

This is what I'm thinking is a possibility as well 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

I wonder if our National Grid will cope with the spike in demand with all those TVs and Radios switched on at 07:59 tomorrow morning. I'd better put the kettle on at 07:54 just in case.

 

They cope with the EastEnders spike. If push comes to shove, they'll just have to get some extra generators on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

This is what I'm thinking is a possibility as well 

 

I could see that been the case. The Royal Family have also seemed keen to be leading by example, and following the same rules as everybody. As a result, they might have decided to say their goodbyes over video call (like many other families) and have Philip's son be the one person to go in and say his goodbyes in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ECG said:

I could see that been the case. The Royal Family have also seemed keen to be leading by example, and following the same rules as everybody. As a result, they might have decided to say their goodbyes over video call (like many other families) and have Philip's son be the one person to go in and say his goodbyes in person.

 

I'll say again, if that was the case (and a very logical case it sounds on the surface), I don't see what they're gaining by keeping everybody in the dark. It's not a secret that Prince Charles has visited. It's not a secret that Prince Philip is in hospital. It's not a secret he's a 99-year-old man in declining health. If that's what was happening, they'd tell us that's what's happening and we'd all wait for the inevitable. Why on earth would there be all the cloak and dagger? And not just that, but the deliberate false information that it's 'out of an abundance of caution' that he's in hospital in the first place. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ECG said:

 

I could see that been the case. The Royal Family have also seemed keen to be leading by example, and following the same rules as everybody. As a result, they might have decided to say their goodbyes over video call (like many other families) and have Philip's son be the one person to go in and say his goodbyes in person.

 

Unlikely. The rules for a Royal consort will be different to us plebs aka Her Majesty's loyal subjects.

 

If Phil the Greek is on the way out, the Queen would visit him if only for the PR.

 

And are you suggesting that Andrew is not his son? 

 

I would expect Princess Anne and his grandchildren to visit him too.

 

But I'm just an ordinary prole. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kenny said:

 

Unlikely. The rules for a Royal consort will be different to us plebs aka Her Majesty's loyal subjects.

 

If Phil the Greek is on the way out, the Queen would visit him if only for the PR.

 

And are you suggesting that Andrew is not his son? 

 

I would expect Princess Anne and his grandchildren to visit him too.

 

But I'm just an ordinary prole. B)

 

I dunno. Like the rest of us, I'm just taking a semi-educated guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use