Grim Reaper

Pete Seeger

Guest Guest

Dead http://www.nytimes.c...dies-at-94.html

Another miss from 2013's list

Who are you referring to when you say "another"? I've just looked at the 2013 list and can't see anyone else that has died this month........

Who are you referring to when you say "another"? I've just looked at the 2013 list and can't see anyone else that has died this month........

Nevertheless, following the death of Sharon and Fergie Frerickson, this year is developing a trend of more 'misses' than 'hits'. I hope it doesn't stay like that all year!

Guest Droosy

We have already missed Fergie Frederiksen, Ariel Sharon and now Peete Seeger. Was the Deathlist committee drunk while making the list???

Nevertheless, following the death of Sharon and Fergie Frerickson, this year is developing a trend of more 'misses' than 'hits'. I hope it doesn't stay like that all year!

It's a ruddy shambles, it looks like more people on the planet who weren't on the list will die this year than ones who are.

• Like 5

We have already missed Fergie Frederiksen, Ariel Sharon and now Peete Seeger. Was the Deathlist committee drunk while making the list???

Almost certainly. :P

• Like 2

He will hold on just long enough to avoid being a hit for the deathlist this year.

Seems I should have listened to myself and picked him for my DDP team

R.I.P. Pete

Well most people got tired of waiting for Sharon to die. Fergie Fredericksen hasn't even acheived a qualifying obit yet. Seeger was one that could have gone either way. He could have lived until he was 100 or as he proved, could have died at 94

• Like 2

Will the funeral notice request no flowers?

I don't know but at 94 he was a long time passing. :P
  • Like 2

Seeger seemed remarkably active and healthy for his age, so I can't really chide the DL for missing out on him even if he was A. 94 and B. on last year's list. Not unlike Borgnine in 2012.

Huh...I just realized that I confused him with Bob Seger.

First month almost over and no hit in the top 50. This is going to be a frustrating year. Another obvious one missed...

Guest TheProfessorJohn

First month almost over and no hit in the top 50. This is going to be a frustrating year. Another obvious one missed...

If so obvious, why didn't you have any of the misses on any of your lists?

Guest Guest

He was in good health and out chopping wood 10 days before he died.  Then was in hospital for 6 days.  So this was not very predictable based on anything but his age.

If so obvious, why didn't you have any of the misses on any of your lists?

Picking just 50 people and knowing which one will and will not is a delicate skill. I have a spreadsheet with over 1400 names on it all of whom have some (even if very small) reason for inclusion. If Seeger was so obvious why was he not in the top 40 of peoples DDP teams. When there was discussion over who to drop at the end of last year a number of people said drop Seeger, myself amongst them. The committee have to take decisions, for everyone they include they leave someone out sometimes they make back the wrong hearse but it is their decision. I didn't see many people on 02nd January saying "This is a rubbish list cos Pete Seeger isn't on it"

In my work's game, with 42 players, of people born before 1920 Pete Seeger had the second lowest number of picks behind Sheila Mercier.

His death is not such a big surprise, as his wife died 6 months ago- it is very common for the spouse to die soon after a long, happy marriage- RIP

• Like 1