Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Former Minnesota sports journalist and past Deathrace pick for me Sid Hartman is dead at 100

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Red Death said:

:clivedunn:

I didn’t predict somebody was posting that death at the exact same moment as I was now, did I?

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I didn’t predict somebody was posting that death at the exact same moment as I was now, did I?

Look at TomTomTelekom's latest post in this thread's previous page

6 minutes ago, The Red Death said:

Look at TomTomTelekom's latest post in this thread's previous page

And look at how many minutes ago the post was on both of our posts. Look very carefully...

22 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

And look at how many minutes ago the post was on both of our posts. Look very carefully...

Just less than one minute apart! Haha!

On 19/08/2020 at 19:03, drol said:

I would put Song Ping in the list above. Prominent Politburo member and mentor of Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao (who appears to hate him for some reason now). Definitely notable.

Update on Song Ping: in perfect health, able to walk unaided and spends most time reading in his courtyard. Groannn.....

Actress/dancer Marge Champion (wiki) dead at 101.

No news coverage yet but lots of people posting tributes on Facebook:

This has been a brutal year for famous centenarians.

Picked by 6 teams in the DDP. Will undoubtedly obit.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Actress/dancer Marge Champion (wiki) dead at 101.

No news coverage yet but lots of people posting tributes on Facebook:

This has been a brutal year for famous centenarians.

Picked by 6 teams in the DDP. Will undoubtedly obit.

Also makes Ruthie Tompson the last alive of those involved with Disney's Snow White.

• Like 2

Did some Googling of the remaining 1919 names using the list on Wiki. Nobody on there seems to have come across this:

Death notice for American college football and basketball coach Leo Traister (wiki) who died shortly after his 101st last month.

• Like 2

Hollywood Reporter obit. Quicker than usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Facebook group Drum Talk TV reporting that drummer Viola Smith (wiki) has died one month shy of 108.

100-year-woman-drummer-viola-s.png.ba37ec42f06857e4f56786dd8fa23927.png

I reckon it was these bastards

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Facebook group Drum Talk TV reporting that drummer Viola Smith (wiki) has died one month shy of 108.

100-year-woman-drummer-viola-s.png.ba37ec42f06857e4f56786dd8fa23927.png

Washington Post Obit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/viola-smith-swing-eras-fastest-girl-drummer-in-the-world-dies-at-107/2020/10/23/770c3758-154a-11eb-bc10-40b25382f1be_story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, who's left from 1912?

1)Jessie Lichauco: Cuban-American-Filipino philanthropist. Increasingly frail.

2)Dagny Carlsson: Swedish blogger, only "famous" in  her old age. Suffered from lung infection recently, but seemingly well enough now.

3)Louise Horne: Trinidadian politician, who has spent her last years in a retirement home.

None of them really famous. But who will be the last one left? I'd go for Horne, in a boring  surprising turn of events.

• Like 2

Interestingly her Washington Post obit says Viola Smith's cause of death was Alzheimer's disease.

Not what you'd expect in a 107 year old... particularly given that she was drumming as recently as 12–18 months ago. Must've been a quick decline.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drol said:

2)Dagny Carlsson: Swedish blogger, only "famous" in  her old age. Suffered from lung infection recently, but seemingly well enough now.

3)Louise Horne: Trinidadian politician, who has spent her last years in a retirement home.

None of them really famous. But who will be the last one left? I'd go for Horne, in a boring  surprising turn of events.

Of the ones definitely alive, yes just the three names above following the deaths of John Henderson, Roberta McCain and Viola Smith (and all within a month!).

There are another two names who are a bit iffy:

1) Draja Mickharic: Bosnian-born American author on witchcraft. Used to have a Wiki page, it was deleted for lack of notability. Birth year came from his publisher and is likely exaggerated. Living a few years ago, possibly dead now. Ancestry trurns up zero records so clearly a pseudonym/pen name.

2) Fakuda Hiroshisen (wiki): Japanese poet. Google doesn't turn up much. Active in the 2000s. Again, possibly dead.

27 minutes ago, drol said:

Suprising how there aren't any males born in 1912 notable enough to have a wikipedia page.

From 1913, however, 4/5 of the people notable enough to have a wikipedia are male:

Carl J. Shapiro, Madoff investor and last of Madoff's "big four", 107

Toko Shinoda, Japanese painter, 107 (Only female in this group)

Vance Trimble, Pulitzer prize winner and journalist, 107

G. Venkatasubbiah, Indian lexicographer, 107

Boris Pahor, Slovene writer and concentration camp survivor, 107

Out of these, I'm betting on Shapiro being the first to die and Venkatasubbiah or Pahor the last. Pahor is probably the only somewhat internationally famous of them from Necropolis and probably the oldest internationally famous person if Kane Tanaka's fame for being the world's oldest person for over two years isn't counted.

1911? Three left, four if you count Marita Quiros who doesn't have an English wikipedia page but is linked on the "list of living centenarians" page. 3/4 female.

Marita Quiros, former Costa Rican first lady, 109

Renee Simonot, mother of Catherine Deneuve, 109

Eileen Ash, cricketer, 108 and turning 109 on october 30th.

Robert Marchand, cyclist, 108

1910 is more balanced. One female and one male supercentenarian.

Stanislaw Kowalski, masters athlete, 110 (Also the oldest living man in Poland and the oldest living man with a wikipedia page)

Ruthie Thompson, animator, 110

Nobody from 1909,

1908 has only Ruth Apilado, founder of America's Intercultural magazine. 112 years old.

39 minutes ago, arghton said:

Suprising how there aren't any males born in 1912 notable enough to have a wikipedia page.

From 1913, however, 4/5 of the people notable enough to have a wikipedia are male:

It's not "surprising". The world's oldest man was born in 1909. I wouldn't expect there to be any famous men alive who are 2-3 years younger than the world's oldest.

There are a few names you missed from a list here.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's not "surprising". The world's oldest man was born in 1909. I wouldn't expect there to be any famous men alive who are 2-3 years younger than the world's oldest.

There are a few names you missed from your list here.

Thanks for that list, I completely forget about Singh. Virginia McLaurin would be the last 1909 one if she was born that year. I'm pretty sure she is, as she has a 87 year old child.

Anything English on Kozubski or Hiroshisen? I googled the name of the latter and found absolutely nothing.

Virginia McLaurin was born in 1917 apparently. Nothing strange in having a son at 16. Fauja is circa 10 years younger than his claimed age. He is not doing well right now anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drol said:

Virginia McLaurin was born in 1917 apparently. Nothing strange in having a son at 16. Fauja is circa 10 years younger than his claimed age. He is not doing well right now anyway.

This is another area of Wikipedia policy that irritates me.

All the official records suggests that McLaurin was born 8 years after when she claims, and yet in the world of Wikipedia adding birth/census records is considered "uncyclopedic" and "original research" (a term they spring upon you when you bother to go and collect the info for yourself – they don't like it when you're too smart)... and yet anything written by a journalist is taken as gospel. A really backward way to run the world's second most visited website... and really not useful when we as DeathListers are trying to use all avenues available to us to establish if someone is living/dead/younger or older than they claim to be.

McLaurin and Singh are con artists – they know fine well they're not the age they claim to be. They're duping the British and American press, who are lapping it up because it sells.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

"original research" (a term they spring upon you when you bother to go and collect the info for yourself – they don't like it when you're too smart)

That is just so ridiculous.  Every fact has to start as "original research".  When does it become acceptable?  After it's been repeated multiple times with multiple opportunities for errors or garbling?

• Like 1