Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

3 minutes ago, arghton said:

Wanda Półtawska suffering from "health difficulties" according to this facebook post and has been pretty much completely homebound recent months and slowly declining. However doing very well for someone who was given 18 months to live with intestinal cancer...in 1962.

Didn’t know she battled cancer. When did she get rid of it ? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Didn’t know she battled cancer. When did she get rid of it ? 

Around the same year. 

On October 31, 1962 Wanda writes to Karol: «I can tell you that my suspicions were confirmed. I am not so surprised by the diagnosis of a tumor, as I am by my peace of mind. The source of the pain is a hard, round 13 cm ulcerous cyst. 

Some parts of the story however are likely bullshit. I don't believe the story of her suddenly miraculously recovering before a medical operation.

Also, in May 2014 she was in a bad housefire that left her in serious condition for weeks. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, arghton said:

Around the same year. 

On October 31, 1962 Wanda writes to Karol: «I can tell you that my suspicions were confirmed. I am not so surprised by the diagnosis of a tumor, as I am by my peace of mind. The source of the pain is a hard, round 13 cm ulcerous cyst. 

Some parts of the story however are likely bullshit. I don't believe the story of her suddenly miraculously recovering before a medical operation.

Also, in May 2014 she was in a bad housefire that left her in serious condition for weeks. 

Didn’t know all of that. Interesting that all these centenarians have overcome cancer, accident and everything. You probably have to have some exceptionnal strengh to go to 100 (not everyone makes it too 100 etc…)

Some centenarias who turned 100 recently!

Albertine Baclet (Wiki) - Guadeloupean politician 

Edith Ballantyne (Wiki) - Czech peace activist

Rusi Cooper (Wiki) - Indian cricketer

Niels Holst-Sørensen (Wiki) - Danish athlete

Tony Vaccaro (Wiki) - American photographer

Jean Malaurie (Wiki) - French anthropologist

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

Some celebrities who turned 100 recently!

Ah this must be a new definition of the word celebrity of which I was not previously aware.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Ah this must be a new definition of the word celebrity of which I was not previously aware.....:rolleyes:

Well Jean Malaurie is a big one in France. New articles about his centenary today everywhere (here, here, here and here for example). Quite respected by intellectuals and academics, will get a breaking news flash when he goes 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Well Jean Malaurie is a big one in France. New articles about his centenary today everywhere (here, here, here and here for example). Quite respected by intellectuals and academics, will get a breaking news flash when he goes 

Go and look up what “celebrity” means. It does simply mean that they’re famous.

• Like 1

Jean Malaurie was the first man to reach the North Geomagnetic Pole! He is a relic and a piece of living history, I'd surely call him an A-lister.

The same could not be said about the others, with Baclet and Cooper being the Z-listers.

• Like 2

Agree with you ! 

59 minutes ago, drol said:

Jean Malaurie was the first man to reach the North Geomagnetic Pole! He is a relic and a piece of living history, I'd surely call him an A-lister.

The same could not be said about the others, with Baclet and Cooper being the Z-listers.

As @Fantomasss said in the french speaking deathlist, Malaurie is one of the few french centenarian A lister along with Françoise Gilot, Micheline Presle, Roland Dumas and Edgar Morin. Soulages was the first one to die among them. 

• Thanks 1

William A. Jenkins, US Coast Guard rear admiral, died 27 Aug, aged 104

Hideo Haga, photographer, died 12 Nov, aged 101

Astrid Soderbaum, Swedish actress, died 28 Nov, aged 103

• Sad 2

I hope Janis Paige and Jacqueline White, who are some of the last surviving actresses from the Golden Age of Hollywood make it to 104 just like Marsha Hunt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John "요한" Sulu said:

I hope Janis Paige and Jacqueline White, who are some of the last surviving actresses from the Golden Age of Hollywood make it to 104 just like Marsha Hunt.

Unfortunately not everyone makes it to 104.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Toast said:

Unfortunately not everyone makes it to 104.

Well there’s something for me to remember.

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2022 at 23:05, Gisooo said:

Some centenarias who turned 100 recently!

Calling Edith Ballantyne Czech is a bit of a stretch. She was a Czech born German who lived in the Czech Sudetenland, and fled in 1938.(birth name Muller). After that got married to a Canadian and seem to spend most of her life on the gravy train of UN organizations living off the taxpayer

in Geneva. I very much doubt she can speak Czech, she was almost certainly brought up speaking German.

Edited by Youth in Asia
Clarification
  • Like 2

Romanian-born American lawyer Benjamin Ferencz, now 102, is now the last surviving prosecutor of the Nuremburg trials of Nazi war criminals.

He was our hero to keep America safe right after World War II.  I am so thankful for his career during the Nazi war criminal era.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John "요한" Sulu said:

Today is Hall of Fame French painter Pierre Soulages' heavenly birthday.  He would have been 103 today.

He passed away on October 26, 2022 at the age of 102 which was two months shy of his 103rd birthday.

I'll let this one slide. You could always put shit like this in the anniversary thread on the anniversary he actually died. 

• Like 1

On 01/03/2022 at 15:26, Gisooo said:

Ed Updergraff (Wiki) reached 100 - American amateur golfer and urologist became a centenarian.

Dr. Ed' still putting, talking golf in Saddlebrooke Ranch | | tucson.com 

Ed Updegraff dead at 100.

• Like 7

Future king of immortals Ma Shitu enjoys his Christmas cake:

mashitudec2022.png (748.86KiB)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drol said:

Future king of immortals Ma Shitu enjoys his Christmas cake:

mashitudec2022.png (748.86KiB)

Looks very well or course, Can’t say the same about the cake though 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ken Potts and Lou Conter (both 101 years old) are American World War II veterans who are survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack on the USS Arizona.

They were great heroes of World War II who handled a dangerous situation.

Philippe de Gaulle article from last month, he's 101 today. Lives in a retirement home apparently, still seems pretty sharp, doesn't walk much but can walk with the help of a walking frame. Says that his sons don't visit much but he's never bored. Read somewhere he's around or almost two meters tall, can't name many centenarians that tall.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, arghton said:

Philippe de Gaulle article from last month, he's 101 today. Lives in a retirement home apparently, still seems pretty sharp, doesn't walk much but can walk with the help of a walking frame. Says that his sons don't visit much but he's never bored. Read somewhere he's around or almost two meters tall, can't name many centenarians that tall.

he send a letter to the royal family when the queen died. 
Also, Charles de Gaulle was 1,96m so doesn’t surprise me that his son is as tall

• Like 3