themaninblack

The Dead Of 2014

Internet troll Brenda Leyland (recently unmasked as one of those abusing the McCanns), found dead in a hotel. Looks like suicide, but this report is Huff Post stealing a story off Daily Mail (so she was probably murdered in a shoot out miles away, or summat).

http://www.huffingto...l?ncid=webmail1

Oh dear, the whole thing really has been a mess. I don't know why, but I find this very sad - troll or no troll - that she felt it had to come this.

Internet troll Brenda Leyland (recently unmasked as one of those abusing the McCanns), found dead in a hotel. Looks like suicide, but this report is Huff Post stealing a story off Daily Mail (so she was probably murdered in a shoot out miles away, or summat).

http://www.huffingto...l?ncid=webmail1

Oh dear, the whole thing really has been a mess. I don't know why, but I find this very sad - troll or no troll - that she felt it had to come this.

A bloke outed by journalists entrapping paedos (46 year old dad as well) also killed himself recently. Two things occur to me off this:

1 - A lot of the worst trolls, prone to erupting in fits of online abuse, are cases with serious psychological baggage and probably weaker and more generally vulnerable than their victims.

2 - Once the press have outed and roundly beseiged a few more of these types (with predicatably catastrophic results) the new press regulation framework won't look so robust. It might be scum (journalist) on scum (get a life) abuse as far as many of the public are concerned but it's questionable how many times you can argue "public interest" in the face of a suicide.

• Like 2

Marian Seldes has taken her last bow, finally falling into the Deathtrap

I feel like we must have had a Broadway thread at some point, but can't find one, so feel free to move it

If there is a Broadway thread, move this one too.

Steve Curry, original Broadway cast member, and 'face' of Hair, died September 13, aged 68.

07Curry-Obit-master495.jpg

Jody Duff, charity fundraiser. His campaign got some wider publicity when Chris Martin coughed up £10k, I'd been considering mentioning him on the possible thread.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/inspirational-jody-loses-battle-with-24645/

Jody Duff, charity fundraiser. His campaign got some wider publicity when Chris Martin coughed up £10k, I'd been considering mentioning him on the possible thread.

http://www.kentonlin...tle-with-24645/

I read it again in that article:

Tributes have poured in after an 'inspirational man' who raised nearly £40,000 for Motor Neurone Disease lost his fight for life.

It sounds like an incantation. What's so inspirational about a disabled man doing fundraising for charity? And more specifically: inspiring to do what? Fork out dosh?

regards,

Hein

http://www.kentonlin...tle-with-24645/

I read it again in that article:

Tributes have poured in after an 'inspirational man' who raised nearly £40,000 for Motor Neurone Disease lost his fight for life.

It sounds like an incantation. What's so inspirational about a disabled man doing fundraising for charity? And more specifically: inspiring to do what? Fork out dosh?

regards,

Hein

I'd by a raving hypocrite to call anyone else on here a cynic, but...

My main point about yer man Jody Duff was that he was gradually gathering a bit of media interest, Chris Martin's donation being a major help in this area, and had he continued in that progress he might have become national tabloid/2015 point scoring material, all that and at 37 he'd have been a DDP pay off of decent proportions. Totally agree with MH beyond this point. "Afflicted person raises money for others in same situation" is summat of a cliche. Bring on the first "afflicted person breaks world record for pintage of sperm donated to banks" eh?

I have no quarrel with the late mr Duff and his fundraising. I don't criticise that he used his unfortunate circumstances to beg money from the public. It was the only way he could get cash, so well done. I hope some good comes from spending it.

Of course he was a valid deadpool candidate. He sought publicity for his cause. It's the tripe papers (and t'internet) write that pisses me off. Do those hacks use fill-in-the-blanks obits for these people? I read nothing but plattitudes and clichés. I'd call that cynic.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

I have no quarrel with the late mr Duff and his fundraising. I don't criticise that he used his unfortunate circumstances to beg money from the public. It was the only way he could get cash, so well done. I hope some good comes from spending it.

Of course he was a valid deadpool candidate. He sought publicity for his cause. It's the tripe papers (and t'internet) write that pisses me off. Do those hacks use fill-in-the-blanks obits for these people? I read nothing but plattitudes and clichés. I'd call that cynic.

regards,

Hein

Indeedy, I totally get it. Some risk averse teacher takes a job overseas, gets taken hostage, finally gets released and the default description in the resulting newspaper piece is "brave."

Many years ago I read a piece by Ivo de Wijs, a Dutch comedian turned author and radio presenter, in which he confessed his love for zondagsdichters, amateurs who write voluminous and unskilled poetry.

What caught my attention was De Wijs' analysis of the way such amateurs work: they translate their, undoubtedly deep, emotions in clichés, which their audience is supposed to translate back into emotions. Apparently it works. It seems to me those infernal hacks use the same method. The difference with zondagsdichters is that the latter don't get paid.

regards,

Hein

Guest F1_Fanatic

Well, 'Crash-a-lot' Andrea De Cesaris, who appeared on the original Deathlist 1987, died. Guess how? He CRASHED his motorcycle on a motorway.

Actress Elizabeth Pena (La Bamba, Down & Out in Beverley Hills) has died aged 55.

The Duke of Marlborough dies aged 88

This means that the 12th Duke is Jamie Spencer-Churchill, formally the Marquis of Blandford who has led a less than clean living life.

Indeed, it'll be amazing if he sees 88.

This means that the 12th Duke is Jamie Spencer-Churchill, formally the Marquis of Blandford who has led a less than clean living life.

Apparently he will be known as "His Grace" now. Instead of disgrace?

oh btw, this means I leapfrog you maryport, and Predictor, in DDP. :smiley_f::D

• Like 1

Jamie Blandford was a regular on my first DDP teams (and a unique pick on the first two, which was a surprise). I dropped him when he seemed to be cleaning up his act.

• Like 1

The actress Misty Upham who was in the film August Osage County has committed suicide at age 32 http://deadline.com/...-police-853408/

Was she any relation to Clive Dunn/ Cpl Jones' mate, Theydon'tlike it Upham?

• Like 1