Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

I feel like we've had this convo re BBC Music three or four times and the answer from TMIB was always a resounding "No, BBC Music pages with DOD do not count as obits"

Y-E-E-E-S-S-S-S!!!

The Guardian come Goode on Coleridge

Lowly points for the centenarian mildly increased by the unique pick bonus:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/11/coleridge-goode

I think you have him in Shaun's Deadpool too.

Indeedy, but the DDP is a mite harder to convince unless the big guns provide an obit. Goode was eight weeks short of turning 101, so he's got for a massive 14 Death by Numbers points when Shaun gets round to it.

YoungWillz, if you're happy to keep doing this spreadsheet mania for the rest of your time posting on these forums, the dream of a DDP run by committee rather than an exhausted T-Mib crying in the foetal position every time he releases that it's January 1st and he has to do another 600 wrestler bios could finally be a reality.

• Like 2

I'm already looking towards Xmas time as being "work"...2 months to go!

Latest update...

You should have put a little extra note on the Howe obit mentioning the competitors who got both chancelllors within a week, especially some who weren't even politics theme teams.

Brilliant guys whoever they were.

• Like 1

I'm already looking towards Xmas time as being "work"...2 months to go!

Now now MIB, time is not of the essence. No happy hours, no festive celebrations as there is only "the present moment".

How about this interesting idea for the scoring system.

I noted you have a bit listing dates in which no candidate has died:

29th February

8th October

26th October

30th October

21st December

28th December

How about you award an extra point to any team which selects a candidate who dies on those dates? Quite random like the 'party pooper' bonus.

Excuse my voyeurism. Oct 8 has come/gone did we pop that cherry? Keep an eye open for those upcoming Oct dates in a couple weeks.

SC

Was so looking forward to throwing a team together for 2016 but I see Lauren Hill was allowed on teams this year. That saddens me. Are you at all considering a Lauren Hill Rule to combat the entry of names for people who are famous solely for those illness, or has that been asked and answered already (apologies if so).

Maybe us Yanks are a more cantankerous lot, but I'd have been up in arms over her inclusion. We had a guy in my DP put her name I told him that wasn't acceptable and only one person out of 16 came to his defense. 14 others said 'get that shit outta here', but then again we have the rule in place I'm asking about above.

SC

Was so looking forward to throwing a team together for 2016 but I see Lauren Hill was allowed on teams this year. That saddens me. Are you at all considering a Lauren Hill Rule to combat the entry of names for people who are famous solely for those illness, or has that been asked and answered already (apologies if so).

Maybe us Yanks are a more cantankerous lot, but I'd have been up in arms over her inclusion. We had a guy in my DP put her name I told him that wasn't acceptable and only one person out of 16 came to his defense. 14 others said 'get that shit outta here', but then again we have the rule in place I'm asking about above.

SC

I'm not aware of any DDP rule against mrs (or mr) Famous-For-Being-Terminally-Ill. As far as I´m aware DDP approved obits are the final measure of celebrity. Do correct me if I´m wrong.

• Like 1

How about this interesting idea for the scoring system.

I noted you have a bit listing dates in which no candidate has died:

29th February

8th October

26th October

30th October

21st December

28th December

How about you award an extra point to any team which selects a candidate who dies on those dates? Quite random like the 'party pooper' bonus.

Excuse my voyeurism. Oct 8 has come/gone did we pop that cherry? Keep an eye open for those upcoming Oct dates in a couple weeks.

SC

If Richard Davies gets the requisite obit, 8 October will have had a hit.

SC

I'm not aware of any DDP rule against mrs (or mr) Famous-For-Being-Terminally-Ill. As far as I´m aware DDP approved obits are the final measure of celebrity. Do correct me if I´m wrong.

Whilst I am not a fan of Famous-For-Being-Terminally-Ill it is a thin line. Before he started being discussed here I had no idea who Sam Simon was but his fame increased because of his terminal illness. Some of the people on my lists might cause people to go who but fame depends on what you know and understand. I have little interest in sport so there are many names that will get obit but I would react MEH to. Whereas there are some Theatre directors who I would say oh no David Thacker (for example) has died and many other people will go MEH.

If the obit comes through then the pick was justified if it doesn't then the player bears the burden.

There is a lower age limit which takes out many controversial picks.

Status quo works on this one.

• Like 1

SC

I'm not so keen on the cancer mums (for lack of a better term) being picked myself. (Although other posters would tell me that deadpooling ethics are a bit of an oxymoron!) Hill is the only real one of these hits for the top 3 - the rest were all famous in their fields before ill health to the best of my knowledge. So you could make up the 20 odd points (for Spade's joker) with some judicious local knowledge: those US politicians the Mail loves, the likes of a Dave Benton, and so on.

With Hill's case, her predicament was very sad and I really didn't want to pick her, but felt that the combined factors of her being mentioned on here, being far more high profile than most tragic cancer stories, (speaking as a Yank, on Yahoo US she was frequently making the front page throughout December) and her being that rarity of a 12-pointer who was near guaranteed an obit given the Mail's repeat coverage of her meant, competitively speaking, it was far too risky to leave her off entirely.

And it does feel like overall, the teams more likely to stock up on cancer mums have less research under their belts. The people who picked a Samantha Beaven were more likely to not have say, Benmosche or Trewin on their radars.

Trewin wasn't on my radar, and he ought to have been. Mind you, last years personal research brought up Macnee (which everyone else knew), Milne (sold a Scott Thorson) and Villeneuve (again, mysteriously better, but at least DDT fell for that one too!). This year I am hoping the net will be cast more astutely, though Davey Jones' Locker has gone and mentioned one of my hopefuls elsewhere, and I foolishly gave another away on the forum at the turn of the year.

Is this a valid obit for Danièle Delorme?

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/video/lactrice-dani%C3%A8le-delorme-est-d%C3%A9c%C3%A9d%C3%A9e-184500490.html

For some reason the obit is on yahoo uk sports, and in french, and a video.

Edit: I mean, Yahoo UK sports definitely qualifies, but it's probably some mistake and it wasn't supposed to land there.

Is this a valid obit for Danièle Delorme?

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/video/lactrice-dani%C3%A8le-delorme-est-d%C3%A9c%C3%A9d%C3%A9e-184500490.html

For some reason the obit is on yahoo uk sports, and in french, and a video.

Edit: I mean, Yahoo UK sports definitely qualifies, but it's probably some mistake and it wasn't supposed to land there.

That is hilarious! Let's hope for something better! I'll not update the roundup in case it gets taken down. Video isn't working, but that doesn't matter.

In order to avoid accusations of post whoring I decided to post this here as this is an issue for the DDP other wise I would have started The Names the Same thread.

These are people who are on my radar who may be confused with each other.

• Frank Williams - Formula 1 team owner (b.1942) or Vicar from Dad's Army (b. 1931)
  • Kenneth Baker/Kenny Baker - Conservative Politician/ R2-D2 both born 1934
  • Rosemary Harris - Children's writer b.1923/ Actress who played Spiderman's Auntie b. 1927/ American mystery writer
  • Mary Wilson/Mari Wilson - Harold Wilson's widow b.1916/Former Supreme b.1944/British singer (Telephone Man) b.1954
  • Terrence Dicks/Terry Dicks - Former Doctor Who script editor and novelist (b.1935)/Former Conservative MP (b. 1937)
  • Bob Harris/Robert Harris - Whispering DJ (b.1946)/ Novelist - Fatherland (b.1957)
  • Michael Moore - Hectoring Canadian film maker (b.1954)/ LD politician (b.1965)
  • Angus Deayton/Angus Deaton - Cocaine taking, whoring television presenter (b.1956)/Nobel Prize winning economist (b.1945)

There are probably loads more but these are the ones on my radar.

In order to avoid accusations of post whoring I decided to post this here as this is an issue for the DDP other wise I would have started The Names the Same thread.

These are people who are on my radar who may be confused with each other.

• Frank Williams - Formula 1 team owner (b.1942) or Vicar from Dad's Army (b. 1931)
  • Kenneth Baker/Kenny Baker - Conservative Politician/ R2-D2 both born 1934
  • Rosemary Harris - Children's writer b.1923/ Actress who played Spiderman's Auntie b. 1927/ American mystery writer
  • Mary Wilson/Mari Wilson - Harold Wilson's widow b.1916/Former Supreme b.1944/British singer (Telephone Man) b.1954
  • Terrence Dicks/Terry Dicks - Former Doctor Who script editor and novelist (b.1935)/Former Conservative MP (b. 1937)
  • Bob Harris/Robert Harris - Whispering DJ (b.1946)/ Novelist - Fatherland (b.1957)
  • Michael Moore - Hectoring Canadian film maker (b.1954)/ LD politician (b.1965)
  • Angus Deayton/Angus Deaton - Cocaine taking, whoring television presenter (b.1956)/Nobel Prize winning economist (b.1945)

There are probably loads more but these are the ones on my radar.

The one that annoys me the most is Liz Smith the english tv actress, and Liz Smith the american gossip lady. In fact, I believe the latter lady would be the better Deathlist pick, especially if the Deathlist wants to compensate for the missed death of Joan Rivers.

I may, _may_ submit a theme team in 2016 called "The Matthew Smiths". The Doctor Who actor, the former ITV sports anchorman, the guy who wrote "Manic Miner", the Fulham striker... there's gotta be 20 there.

• Like 1

I may, _may_ submit a theme team in 2016 called "The Matthew Smiths". The Doctor Who actor, the former ITV sports anchorman, the guy who wrote "Manic Miner", the Fulham striker... there's gotta be 20 there.

There's 20. Dubious about most of their chances of obitability or death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Smith_(disambiguation)