Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

I think DDP-valid celebrities should cross a certain line of fame threshhold, so no local obits, only national ones. Banning the Daily Mail alone would be relatively useless, because the Mirror and the Daily Star or maybe Yahoo UK, would fill the gap, and the Daily Mail at least provides (copy/pastes) international obits from AP and Reuters. First, I thought about demanding that the name of the person should be in the headline of the post, which Shaun of the Dead also does now and hopefully, we'll see the advantages/disadvantages of that. But I could imagine that some notable people, especially of the "last of the XYZ" variety would fall through. Another idea to determine that fame threshhold (in addition to the obits) might be to demand the existence of a Wikipedia article in whatever language existing of that person BEFORE the year of team submission. So a person picked for the DDP 2016, and submitte din a tema in late 2015, would need to have had a Wikipedia page in 2014 already. That's to prevent cheating by the contestant by creating a WIkipedia page at the time of (or shortly before) team submission. I guess checking the WIkipedia page is already part of the procedure, so I hope it's not too much trouble.

This would dispel a lot of terrorist-of-the-month picks, though.

It's true, Assad Uzzaman would have failed to qualify. Denise Marshall would have failed as well (unjustly, in my opinion). Dave Benton, too (justly, in my opinion). So IF the aim is to exclude "brave cancer mom" (I'd like to read a report of "terrified, uninspirational cancer mum" some day.), then maybe the Wikipedia article should only be requirement for some obits, which means, yes, there would be "first class obits" which are valid every time (BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, Independent, and maybe others) and "second class obits" that require a Wikipedia page (the clickbait pages like Daily Mail, Star, Mirror, Yahoo).

It's worth noting that Ian Brady doesn't actually have his own full-fledged Wiki page (his info is contained on a page for the Moors murders instead) so I definitely think that's the only way a hypothetical Wiki rule could ever work, if it was only implemented on the Mail-type sources and not the BBC ones.

It's worth noting that Ian Brady doesn't actually have his own full-fledged Wiki page (his info is contained on a page for the Moors murders instead) so I definitely think that's the only way a hypothetical Wiki rule could ever work, if it was only implemented on the Mail-type sources and not the BBC ones.

Interesting case. Though he is covered under my rule as written above because he has his own Wikipedia page in other languages, just not in English. It's actually funny (to me) because I had imagined that this rule would mostly cover former head of state of little-covered non-english speaking nation XYZ, with an obituary in the AP or Reuters, copy/pasted into the Daily Mail.

For the record here are the obits the 184 confirmed hits so far in 2015 had to qualify:

In numbers:

BBC - 92

Daily Mail - 39

Guardian - 21

Telegraph - 17

Independent - 6

Yahoo - 3

Mirror/ITV/Express/Herald/Reuters - 1 each

And extrapolating that further of those 39 with DM obit 18 of them also had an Obit from at least 1 other source.

Of the 21 Daily Mail Only Obits

You have multiple Us Congressman/Governors

B& WFilm Actresses /

2 Execs/

WW2 Notable

One of NHL's most notable Hockey Coaches

Adam Yahiye Gadahn-terrorist

Wendell h ford-Us Governor

mary healy-Notable 40s and 50s actress

Sam Andrew-janis joplin collaborator

Theodore Hesburgh-notre dame pres

Real-reality star

Yutaka Katayama-Nissan Exec

Bob Benmosche-AIG exec

Leandra Becerra Lumbreras-"127" year old Mexican Supercentenarian

Robert L hite-ww2 doolittle raid

Dave Benton-local us anchor

Betsy Palmer -friday the 13th actress

Jim Wright -us house speaker

Jin Youzhi-sibling of chinese last emperor

Francis George-Chicago Cardinal

Mario Biaggi- Former Us Congressman NYC

Richard Schweiker-Former Us Congressman

Nour El-Sherif -Egyptian Actor

Al Arbour-Ice Hockey Legend

Stuart Wagstaff-Australian Entertainer

Jayne Meadows-Emmy nominated actress/wife of steve allen

The motivation for some to remove Daily Mail seems to be thinking it would weed out nonentities or people famous for dying. Of the 184 Hits so far taking out Daily Mail would only get rid of 2 such hits Leandra Becerra Lumbreras a fake 127 year old and Dave Benton a Local Us Anchor who became a "dying cancer person" hit. Basically the famous for dying of cancer like Lauren Hill types when they do pass seem either to be forgotten and become missed hits or they end up getting coverage from several outlets. If people want to exclude those type of hits from DDP removing one source or another for a valid obit won't end up removing those types of hits without a specific ambulance chasing no cancer lady rule.

• Like 1

Yeah, in fairness, the last thing we need is a mass overhaul of obituary rules, the thing that needs work is the architecture of the site. There must be some nerdbird who understands databases enough on here to proffer suggestions?

What do you have in mind?

I ask this as I recognise that despite my efforts (I'm not a natural website builder I must admit), the site still looks like something from 2000!

A search in the Chelsea Pensioner's Remembrance Book reveals Joe Britton, a pick in the DDP this year, died in late 2014. D'oh!

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/book-remembrance?name=britton&search=Go

Confirmation from The Guardian in an article from November 2014, about half way down the page. Date of death confirmed as 27 October 2014. http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/nov/01/david-bailey-this-is-what-100-looks-like

Um, The Man In Black - as you're in a good mood.... :wub:

I was wondering would an audio obit count?

There are a lot of people who are covered on The Last Word on Radio 4 who don't even make an obit on the BBC website. As you can get all previous editions on the website would you accept this in the place of a written obit?

If there's a link then it's valid...

James Varda's death was spoken of on BBC Radio Ulster's folk show last month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b064zt27

5mins and 40seconds in, but do stop and listen to the song which follows. James Varda was a very talented musician, remaining as obscure in death as he did in life.

Peace

APW

Anyone know how old he was?

Latest update up...

• Like 1

Yeah, in fairness, the last thing we need is a mass overhaul of obituary rules, the thing that needs work is the architecture of the site. There must be some nerdbird who understands databases enough on here to proffer suggestions?

What do you have in mind?

I ask this as I recognise that despite my efforts (I'm not a natural website builder I must admit), the site still looks like something from 2000!

This is the problem, my background is in web content not web design so I have no fucking idea.

As it stands, the site is completely manual, correct? So when Old Celebrity X dies you have to write the front page obit, work out the scoring, put their points and picks at the bottom of the front page, cross their name off on both the celeb picks and the teams page, add the date of death to picks page, then update the scores of all the teams that picked them, correct?

Surely the first thing would be some sort of method that turns those six separate actions into one. The problem is it's not as if we can use some existing software (like the ones that exist for sports leagues) and repurpose it....

Wow!! Crazy to think that 3 quarters of the way into the year we've only lost THREE from the Drop Forty!

• Like 1

Wow!! Crazy to think that 3 quarters of the way into the year we've only lost THREE from the Drop Forty!

Which is an excellent argument against the democratization of the Deathlist.

• Like 2

Which is an excellent argument against the democratization of the Deathlist.

Most of the Drop 40 is old people who get picked every year. And the few ill people who break through in cultural osmosis have been hanging on this year.

• Like 1

Where does all the time go?

Been a weird year for celebrity deaths in fairness. Especially considering the blistering speed a lot of teams started 2015 with in the DDP, I honestly though we were going to see 2013-esque scores from about five or six line-ups. Now it looks like the year will be decided on whether Martin Crowe makes it 365 not out.

A (long overdue) update...

I have just scrolled all the way down the leaderboard to find where my teams are languishing.

The good news is my low hanging fruit team is doing better than last year and I am in joint 283rd place.

My theme team is in 326th place which considering it finished 68th last year is very disappointing and my Unusual Suspects team is doing even worse at 376th.

Its a bit sad when a top 100 finish is something to celebrate. (or testement to the popularity of the game)

Came across a reference to Nana Juaben Serwaa II who is listed in the DDP, and who apparently died in 2013? http://juabenserwaa.com/ For what it's worth.

Incidentally, I think the picture in the DDP is actually that of her mother who has been dead since the 50s I think.

• Like 1

#Y u no give obits to Swedish celebs, Britain?

#Alice Babs issue all over again

:unsure:

List of acceptable British obits:

BBC (and that is any section that carries news items (News, Sport, Entertainment). If there is a celeb that is mentioned having died or is dead, then it counts and that includes items mentioned on the radio and television (as long as there is evidence of this - iplayer etc) In most cases these are followed up on news pages.
Sky (Sky News and Sky Sports - same as the Beeb - a link to a visual mention of a celeb death is acceptable).
Reuters UK
ITV/ITN (same as BBC/Sky)
Channel 4 (same as BBC/Sky)
STV
UTV
Times/Sunday Times
Guardian/Observer
Telegraph
Independent
Mail Online
Daily/Sunday Express
Evening Standard
Sun
Mirror
Daily Star
Financial Times
Scotsman
Herald Scotland
Daily Record
Morning Star
Huffington Post UK
MSN UK
Yahoo UK

Please oh please let this count as an acceptable obit for Magnus Härenstam for the reasons stated below:

1. It's from BBC, which is one of the allowed newspapers according to the list. ATu09AT.gif

2. An employee of the highly respectable media company that is BBC had to physically type down Magnus' death date on that page. If Magnus was a nobody, this wouldn't have happened. HshAZ4V.gif Clearly, his death was noted in British media in a literal sense even if there was no "proper" obit.

3. The 2nd argument carries extra weight when we consider that another "List of the lost" listee, musician James Vardra, is NOT written about at all there. So, not everybody are automatically, by default, included and/or reported as dead on BBC Music.

4. I really want those damn 12 points. :sicktherm:

Sincerely,

Predictor.

Wow Predictor you've done it again. For 12 points this time (more than I got for Dennis Roussos FFS). I can live with you sneaking these hits through the catflap of the back door 3-6 months after the fact, like a scurvy Scandinavian shyster.

But can you please refrain from calling our BBC "highly respectable", even sarcastically. ;)

Did you mean to type "highly regrettable"?

Not so fast, Z. I haven't gotten a response from TMIB yet. If he feels that I'm grasping at straws here, then I won't get my 12 points. So let's see how it goes. :/

Are you sure that's not linked to wikipedia or similar and auto-updated.