Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

Funny team names noticed so far:

The Good the Bad and Cliff Richard

Puke on My Grave

The Policies of Benjamin Netanyahu (WTFF?)

Have to say I liked the Cliff one as well. Also like 'One scythe fits all' and ' No, I don't want to build a f*****g snowman'

Funny team names noticed so far:

The Good the Bad and Cliff Richard

Puke on My Grave

The Policies of Benjamin Netanyahu (WTFF?)

Have to say I liked the Cliff one as well. Also like 'One scythe fits all' and ' No, I don't want to build a f*****g snowman'

Yeah One Scythe has always been a favourite.

I just spotted "Book of Revel-asians" (lofuckinl)

Also, we still have Carker's Convention 2014 for some reason. Your fault MIB, or did whichever moron owns that rubbish team make the mistake? Also, it wrongly lists William Hague's Special Friend is a "first year" competitor.

And, I can't believe I forgot to mention but Jean Nidetch's birth name was Jean Slutsky. I think that actually beats Little Dick Jimmy or whatever the fuck that country shuffler's name was.

A minor point, but I couldn't find one of my teams at first, because an indefinite article has been added so it is among the As instead of the Ls.

It should be "Long Shot Kick De Bucket" (after the Pioneers song) rather than "A Long Shot Kick De Bucket".

And as offered before, T-Mib, I'm more than happy to write pen bios for picks, just give me a letter of the alphabet that needs filling in and tell me.

Very happy to have 20 uniques across my three teams. Including one of my hits so far.

Likewise happy to pen some bios just let me know.

Can you ask Spade to be (as-)sensible(-as-possible) with his bio-writing? If we wanted to find some bios that make the current/existing ones look like they weren't written by Owen Jones himself whilst riding a Malcolm X dildo we could all just go to Wikipedia.

(ok only joking with that ending remark, that only applies to a few of 'em, just saying)

Here's some stuff I noticed last night while browsing through the names (none of these are jabs which I hope goes without saying):

A world leaders theme team has "Milt Schmidt" selected, who is an ice hockey player. Surely that should be Helmut instead?

Robert Kinoshita died on the 9th of December, but was another Bess Myerson case in that it wasn't actually known until after the new year began - the 13th to be precise. The following names are also dead, and are all obscurish very, very old people that needless to say slipped through everyone's radar last year: Arthur Gardner, Emmanuel Kriaras, Sophie Masloff, Knut Nystedt (though Gardner died late in December, so possible that he was entered in the pool while still alive...)

Also noticed cancer blogger Judith McGuinness's write up stating how "she didn't blog in two years so prepare for the worst", so I did a bit of digging and lo and behold...

Shivakumara Swamiji is picked twice but under two different names, one with the "Sree Sree" honorific and one without.

Got an obit too...

As did Masloff!

It's primarily my responsibility to find the obits and most do get conjured up, but this was in August forchrissakes!

EDIT - seems that the teams that picked them last year and didn't let me know that they had died (and had obits so they would have won points) sent them in again for this year, when a cursory bit of research would have given them the news of their demise.

So Sod 'em, no points. they were there for the taking...

• Like 2

I also have a nit to pick:

• Albert II, King. Bio needs update, abdicated 21 July, 2013. Incumbent is Philippe.
Hey! Is the pick smack below Jet Black an example of self-reference?

regards,

Hein

Does anyone know if Gerald Sim is dead?A couple of teams have picked him.

Was discussed on the Mollie Sugden thread and seems he is. I had him on my sit-com team last year, and just figured I got unlucky with no obit, so I dropped him this year.

I also have a nit to pick:

• Albert II, King. Bio needs update, abdicated 21 July, 2013. Incumbent is Philippe.
Hey! Is the pick smack below Jet Black an example of self-reference?regards,Hein

Me too, I didn't want to bother about it because she was a joke pick but in last year's game, Kenya Moore was Miss USA, not Miss Universe.

EDIT - seems that the teams that picked them last year and didn't let me know that they had died (and had obits so they would have won points) sent them in again for this year, when a cursory bit of research would have given them the news of their demise.

So Sod 'em, no points. they were there for the taking...

The fact they appeared on the 2015 rosters were the only reason I was even aware of them being DDP picks at all. Guess I should never assume that anyone over 95 wasn't picked by default, even if they were a long-retired mayor of a US city that's not New York or Chicago...

Fully agreed on the outcome regardless, teams really have no excuse to avoid doing their own quick double checks.

Just scrolling through some of the names and noticed there was an Emma Morano an Emma Morano-Martinuzzi entered which looks like the same person and one was just sent under their maiden names and the other their married name.

Was discussed on the Mollie Sugden thread and seems he is. I had him on my sit-com team last year, and just figured I got unlucky with no obit, so I dropped him this year.

Last I looked, he was still alive. Couldn't find anything to state otherwise.

Last I looked, he was still alive. Couldn't find anything to state otherwise.

The showbiz rag The Stage publishes obits from famous to obscure people and they've not got one for him. Remember he is the younger brother of Sheila Sim and she's still with us.

I'm sticking by my "Gerald Sim is dead" belief. In addition to what was discussed last year, the Wikipedia entry for Sim was edited on December 11th by someone who has a five-year history of accurate Wikipedia edits involving both Sheila Sim and Denville Hall. I find it hard to believe that someone would spend five years just to spread a fake death claim about the verger from To The Manor Born.

Why this hasn't been picked up by the wider media yet, that I can't answer.

The same Wikipedia editor was also the first person to alert Wikipedia (accurately on each occasion) to the deaths of Gabrielle Blunt, Daphne Oxenford and Wendy Toye, all of whom were Denville residents.

Gerald Sim is dead, Doreen Keogh is alive... we do the real hard work on the DL forums that investigative journalists are too lazy to do.

I have just found this on Twatter regarding Gerald Sim. My apologies if this has been posted before.

Nicol Williamson's death a few years ago wan't announced until about 6 weeks after he died, so I think it's possible that Sim is dead.

Providing its not a fake account, Karen Lewis is the daughter-in-law of Richard Attenborough and Sheila Sim, so a safe enough source I'd say.

Why is everybody suddenly so convinced Doris Day is gonna die?

Also, there seems to be less brand new never-been-chosen picks than last year, with those blank bios... that's good for those compiling the celeb info I guess, and we will have less to wait for a "finished product" this time.

840 odd newbies...

There is no formal rule on picks that have died in the previous year and when they are replaced. If for instance as we have had this week a number of deaths pre-NYE and they are discovered around now, then subs are used if there are any. However, if it's discovered say in July that such and such carked it back in 2013 or something, then I Don't bother trawling past emails for subs and it's tough titty basically. Of course there are other cases such as that bloke from the Flintstones who may or may not have carked it (I have reactivated him in the database for this year under the thinking that IF he officially dies then we know for sure he's dead) and now Gerald Sim. If Sim is dead, then surely an obit will come and them maybe the subs will be activated if it is in the immediate future. But I'm not waiting too long...

840 odd newbies...

Is that more or less than last year?

840 odd newbies...

Er... nevermind then. :blink:

840 odd newbies...

Is that more or less than last year?

It's a lot either way........