Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Security Risk Suella's letter is out - you can read it here: https://news.sky.com/story/politics-news-live-david-cameron-attending-new-look-cabinet-as-suella-braverman-ally-submits-letter-of-no-confidence-in-rishi-sunak-12593360

Probably the most amount of time she devoted to anything in her political life.

Once again, full of the "what the British people expect" and "the quiet majority" tripe.

Fuck clean off, Suella. You speak only for a bunch of old Facebook racists.

• Like 1

IMG_8486.thumb.jpeg.949efc2131dceb20aef8407398fdbef6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Security Risk Suella's letter is out - you can read it here: https://news.sky.com/story/politics-news-live-david-cameron-attending-new-look-cabinet-as-suella-braverman-ally-submits-letter-of-no-confidence-in-rishi-sunak-12593360

Probably the most amount of time she devoted to anything in her political life.

I'm confused. Did she resign? I was under the impression she was sacked, but it seems she didn't agree with anything the government was doing and hasn't done for some time. So why did she continue to serve then? Oh, that's right, because now she's left office, nobody gives a shit what she has to say. What a load of self-aggrandising nonsense. "If we lose on Rwanda, I told you so, and if we win on Rwanda, you wouldn't be able to deliver it like I told you so." "I wrote the article because you're not banning the hate marches, which the police have been dealing with perfectly well until my intervention when they had to deal with a load of racist, skinhead football hooligans trying to get to the Cenotaph." It seems unlikely, but it would be my moment of election night 2024 if Cruella was kicked out. I thought I couldn't hate a Home Secretary more than her predecessor but Patel was incompetent, Braverman is evil.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Indeed. In fact under a "sane" Tory party it's very conceivable someone like Grieve would be or would have been PM now 

Well, for a sane Tory Party to have existed in any form, the referendum would have had to fall the other way. So if we vote to Remain in 2016, Cameron is strengthened, serves out his second 5-year term finishing in 2020 (a general election in May 2020? That would have been fun - perhaps he gets special dispensation to serve until 2021). Probably means we're being led by Gideon Osborne now, unless he failed to win the leadership election (who would have been the contenders? May? Johnson? Gove? Truss?). Remember Cameron stated he thought 10 years was the limit. Maybe Covid would have convinced him to stay on another couple of years and give up in the middle of this Parliament - any time now in that case! And I assume they'd have won in 2020/21 because Labour would still have elected Corbyn in 2015 as they did, so he'd fight the next General Election, whenever it was.

Desperately need an election, and I don't mean yet another Tory leadership one.

• Like 4

Therese Coffey says she "nearly died" due to stress due to overworking as a Minister 5 years ago and was hospitalised for a month. I've checked and, at this time, she was a junior minister in the Department for the Environment and Rural Opportunity. That's it. So I'm sure that's the part of her lifestyle that was really an issue... :rolleyes:

Who is Therese Coffey? Cigar chomping Health Secretary who snapped at  Marcus Rashford - Mirror Online

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Therese Coffey says she "nearly died" due to stress due to overworking as a Minister 5 years ago and was hospitalised for a month. I've checked and, at this time, she was a junior minister in the Department for the Environment and Rural Opportunity. That's it. So I'm sure that's the part of her lifestyle that was really an issue... :rolleyes:

Who is Therese Coffey? Cigar chomping Health Secretary who snapped at  Marcus Rashford - Mirror Online

I would say "close but no cigar" but that'd plainly be wrong.

• Haha 1

In America, 3 Days before government shutdown...

Former Speaker of the House McCarthy shoves GOP Rep Burchett (who voted him out):

GOP Senator Mullin challenges the Teamster President O'Brien to a fight, and Bernie Sanders intervenes.

The House passed a bill to fund the government until the New Year; I assume Senate will approve so shutdown evaded for another 1.5 months.

44 minutes ago, lilham said:

The House passed a bill to fund the government until the New Year; I assume Senate will approve so shutdown evaded for another 1.5 months.

How about passing a law that the government must be funded on-time or lawmakers lose pay + can't recess until it is?

Ridiculous 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

How about passing a law that the government must be funded on-time or lawmakers lose pay + can't recess until it is?

Ridiculous 

Well yeah, and we don't need a debt ceiling either. They do it this way so they can threaten us.

My dad doesn't get paid and has to work overtime if they go into shutdown. (he's in airplane safety: this is really fucking dangerous that the GOP keep staging shutdowns). And the government didn't even pay them back right away during the last shutdown in 2018-2019 over Trump's wall: they "trickled" the money to them.

• Like 1

Mike Johnson will probably be ejected as Speaker for reaching the deal though. Which, good riddance.

He's got a weird financial situation:

There are no retirement accounts, no money-market funds, no stocks, no crypto, not even a basic checking or savings account. Even more peculiar, his disclosures have never listed any checking or savings accounts on any of the forms he has filed going back to 2016, the year he was elected to Congress.

This is confusing. Where is his congressional salary being deposited? How is he paying his bills?

Johnson was asked on Sunday about his lack of a bank account during an interview on Fox News. “I’m a man of modest means,” he replied, deflecting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/07/mike-johnson-speaker-bank-account-mystery/

11 hours ago, Toast said:

Desperately need an election, and I don't mean yet another Tory leadership one.

The UK & Canada are in desperate need of a change. 

Baffles me of how the Tory or the Lib-tards haven’t been shot yet.

Who'd have thought eh?

Rwanda plan unlawful - supreme court.

• Like 2

Now they will take us out of the ECHR in a further attack on our rights and reputation.

• Like 3