Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Whatever the mainstream Jewish community sees anti - Semitic is anti semitic.Same with any other minority group

No, it isn't. Or it shouldn't be.  That's like saying that to disapprove of Russia's invasion of Ukraine is to condemn all Russian people everywhere.

• Like 8

All the "criticizing Israel's government is anti-Semitism!" talking point does is enable actual anti-Semitism with how badly it's diluted the term's meaning. Which is disgusting given how odious actual anti-Semitism is.

• Like 5

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'll give you this much Crem. you consistently remain polite whilst concurrently forcing me to be anything but.

It's a talent.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

All the "criticizing Israel's government is anti-Semitism!" talking point does is enable actual anti-Semitism with how badly it's diluted the term's meaning. Which is disgusting given how odious actual anti-Semitism is.

From the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of anti-Semitism

https://holocaustremembrance.com/resources/working-definition-antisemitism

"criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as anti-Semitic."

However,  "Applying double standards (to Israel) by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation"  is anti-Semitic

We are not applying a double standard here. If any other democratic nation was doing what Israel are doing now then the response would be the same.

Attacking individual or groups of Jews for the actions of Israel is anti-Semitic, and should be prosecuted.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, AstroKat said:

From the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of anti-Semitism

https://holocaustremembrance.com/resources/working-definition-antisemitism

"criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as anti-Semitic."

However,  "Applying double standards (to Israel) by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation"  is anti-Semitic

We are not applying a double standard here. If any other democratic nation was doing what Israel are doing now then the response would be the same.

Attacking individual or groups of Jews for the actions of Israel is anti-Semitic, and should be prosecuted.

There's also an annoying lack of consistency around the term 'anti-Zionism' which doesn't help. There's a huge difference between (rightfully) criticising the Israeli government for their barbaric warmongering and settlements on occupied Palestinian land, and completely denying Israel's right to exist as a state, which is a much more radical view (unless you also think that countries like the US and Australia also don't have a right to exist because they were also originally founded by 'settler-colonists'). Yet both are tarred with the 'anti-Zionist' brush while ignoring the nuances. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thanks for the reminder.

arguing.jpg

• Like 2

I'm afraid this is the same sort of crap that passes for a feeding hysteria whipped up by the fourth estate on behalf of their Tory paymasters.

As far as I can see, Ali was treading a thin thin line on criticism of the Israeli state. He was perhaps wrong to conflate that with a conspiracy theory about Israel's knowledge aforehand of October 7th. (Personally, I think that there are no depths to what Netanyahu might do, especially while faced by protest and dissent at home - a war is always the last resort of a desperate politician). Other things he said though were clearly anti-Semitic and when that came to light Starmer booted his arse.

I mean, we all remember the Enemies of The People headline about judges who dared to strike down Government policy - which has effectively been used again recently. No better than describing all "refugees" as illegal immigrants, who are only tagged with that because the UK government has made their routes to safety illegal.

Many sane and educated people know this - but there are many more who are not and readily squeezed for their juices by the Tories and the press.

As an aside, the majority of a minority are not always right in what they say and should be accepted as gospel. I for one can agree and disagree in equal measure with Tatchell for example on many of his invective and actions. The ones with power or publicity or the loudest voices may be the face a group, they don't always represent the personal feelings of many in a group.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm afraid this is the same sort of crap that passes for a feeding hysteria whipped up by the fourth estate on behalf of their Tory paymasters.

As far as I can see, Ali was treading a thin thin line on criticism of the Israeli state. He was perhaps wrong to conflate that with a conspiracy theory about Israel's knowledge aforehand of October 7th. (Personally, I think that there are no depths to what Netanyahu might do, especially while faced by protest and dissent at home - a war is always the last resort of a desperate politician). Other things he said though were clearly anti-Semitic and when that came to light Starmer booted his arse.

I mean, we all remember the Enemies of The People headline about judges who dared to strike down Government policy - which has effectively been used again recently. No better than describing all "refugees" as illegal immigrants, who are only tagged with that because the UK government has made their routes to safety illegal.

Many sane and educated people know this - but there are many more who are not and readily squeezed for their juices by the Tories and the press.

As an aside, the majority of a minority are not always right in what they say and should be accepted as gospel. I for one can agree and disagree in equal measure with Tatchell for example on many of his invective and actions. The ones with power or publicity or the loudest voices may be the face a group, they don't always represent the personal feelings of many in a group.

His actions today have shown his true colours. He is now angling for the Galloway vote. 

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

His actions today have shown his true colours. He is now angling for the Galloway vote. 

Don't understand what you mean in response to my observation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Don't understand what you mean in response to my observation.

Silly cunt doesn’t know what he means either so I wouldn’t worry about chasing it up.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Kingswood by-election result: LAB gain from CON

Labour: 11,176

Conservatives: 8,675

Reform UK: 2,578

Green Party: 1,459

Liberal Democrats: 861

UKIP: 129

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

Kingswood by-election result: LAB gain from CON

Labour: 11,176

Conservatives: 8,675

Reform UK: 2,578

Green Party: 1,459

Liberal Democrats: 861

UKIP: 129

Conservatives + Reform = 11, 253

Simplistic, but Tories would have won by 77 votes. That will be a discussion point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Simplistic, but Tories would have won by 77 votes. That will be a discussion point.

If tactical voting were in play on both sides:

LAB + GRN + LDEM = 13,496

CON + REF + UKIP = 11,382

This NEEDS to be a discussion point!

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Kingswood MP Damien Egan made another reference to “Rishi’s Recession” in his victory speech. We’ll be hearing that line a lot over the next few months, I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, TQR said:

If tactical voting were in play on both sides:

LAB + GRN + LDEM = 13,496

CON + REF + UKIP = 11,382

This NEEDS to be a discussion point!

WhoKIP?

11 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

WhoKIP?

Ikr! There are somehow still 129 of the fucks in Kingswood :o

• Facepalm 1

Wellingborough by-election result: LAB gain from CON

Labour: 13,844

Conservatives: 7,408

Reform UK: 3,919

Liberal Democrats: 1,422

Marion Turner-Hawes (Independent): 1,115

Green Party: 1,020

Kevin Watts (Independent): 533

Britain First: 477

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party: 217

Andre Pyne-Bailey (Independent): 172

Ankit Love Jknpp Jay Mala Post-Mortem (Independent): 18

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

That is a huge result. Overturning an 18,000 Conservative majority at the last election.

Neighbouring constituency to mine. First Labour MP in the county since 2015

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That is a huge result. Overturning an 18,000 Conservative majority at the last election.

Neighbouring constituency to mine. First Labour MP in the county since 2015

18,540 Con majority to 6,436 Lab is enormous. Second largest Con-Lab swing since WWII. Reform, Britain First and all the Independents combined amount to 6.2k so it’s a good result for Labour as well as bad for the Tories.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Yeah,  but - John Curtice was discussing that this morning, a recent poll suggested if there were no Reform candidate over 30% of those voting Reform wouldn't vote Conservative (either UKIP, though they're practically irrelevent now, or wouldn't vote at all). That stat would be enough to nix the hypothetical 77 vote win.

• Like 4

Today's front page - deckchairs and the Titanic come to mind, or is it just me?

_132664667_daily_mail-nc.png.webp

Surprised we don't have any discussion of actual results from noted psephologist Sir Old Crem?

• Haha 1