Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've probably mentioned this before, but performance poet Luke Wright has written a poem about Iain Duncan Smith in which the only vowel used is i.

Awesome work, and I’m definitely going to refer to him as ‘this jiggling tit’ from now on :lol:

• Like 1

Oh what a surprise to get such a cunty take from Isabellend Oakeshitt, the readiness to fuck over a couple of million people because you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone whose weird uncle Nigel posted on Facebook about someone down his mate's road claiming disability benefits despite being able to walk around without dropping dead, and who lives a comfortable and lavish life on their £100 or less a week. Cunts.

1280354144_Image20-04-2024at20_27.thumb.jpeg.ae9832a08e1c33876a69f9fdf8c777bd.jpeg

Looks like the Commissioner of the Met is in big trouble. Feel like if he goes the Tories will being in someone from America 

3 hours ago, TQR said:

Awesome work, and I’m definitely going to refer to him as ‘this jiggling tit’ from now on :lol:

I had the pleasure of hearing this live, when I went to see John Cooper Clarke and Luke was the supporting act.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

IDS is another one to look out for on election night. Determined to stay and fight in his seat -  I reckon he's toast!

Probably but the Labour candidate is prehaps the only Corbynite standing so she won’t get a lot of help from labour central office.

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Oh what a surprise to get such a cunty take from Isabellend Oakeshitt, the readiness to fuck over a couple of million people because you know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone whose weird uncle Nigel posted on Facebook about someone down his mate's road claiming disability benefits despite being able to walk around without dropping dead, and who lives a comfortable and lavish life on their £100 or less a week. Cunts.

1280354144_Image20-04-2024at20_27.thumb.jpeg.ae9832a08e1c33876a69f9fdf8c777bd.jpeg

I didn't get around to posting about Sunak's shitty speech yesterday about sicknote Britain. Isn't it funny how the Tories solution is always to reclassify people as being fit for work under false pretences rather than dealing with the underlying issues. Maybe if we had hospitals fit for purpose, anything resembling a functioning mental healthcare system, a social care system that actually helped people recover and so much more besides (not to mention appropriate pandemic response measures that kept people safe when it was most needed) that we wouldn't have so many people claiming benefits.

I do have personal experience. My dad suffered a stroke in 2010 at 59 - left him with no short-term memory and scrambled long-term memory. He has common sense, he can function on a day-to-day level and has a certain amount of independence - can walk to the paper shop and get his paper, but anything more complicated is a minefield (if we sent him to Asda, by the time he's got there, he'd have forgotten what he went for). You can have the same conversation with him umpteen times in a day and the Blackburn in his mind is not the same as the Blackburn of 2024 (from bus routes to shops in town to the price of anything). Anyway, that's just some background to saying that when the DWP did their reviews when they were moving everybody over to PIP, dad was reassessed. We did our own count-up of the points as we saw them and got that he should be on the lower rate for mobility and the higher rate for the living, which would match what he was previously on. When the verdict came back, he got nothing. Not a single point on the whole review. 0/30. Benefits stopped. Took it to review: no change. Appealed it. Months went by. Eventually appeal date came up. Took him to a tribunal in Blackburn with a judge and two medical advisers. They asked him some questions, we helped him to answer where necessary - went out and waited for the verdict. Worn down, we weren't sure we'd get anything at all. We went back in to be told he would get the higher rate for living and the lower rate for mobility. With no prospect of change, they said it would be indefinite, but officially labelled it for 10 years, simply because that way we wouldn't be blindsided by a sudden review at some point. But the hope is since we've already won on appeal once, he should be safe now. But it was a ridiculous and worrying 6-8 months (something like that, I forget how long it was now, I've tried to blank it out). Unsurprising newsflash: the Tories are heartless bastards.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I didn't get around to posting about Sunak's shitty speech yesterday about sicknote Britain. Isn't it funny how the Tories solution is always to reclassify people as being fit for work under false pretences rather than dealing with the underlying issues. Maybe if we had hospitals fit for purpose, anything resembling a functioning mental healthcare system, a social care system that actually helped people recover and so much more besides (not to mention appropriate pandemic response measures that kept people safe when it was most needed) that we wouldn't have so many people claiming benefits.

Every single word.

All the best to your dad. So sorry to hear you all went through this shite. And this is just one example of many where people are getting so fucked over already, leave alone Sunak’s new even cuntier stance, the mental health repercussions of which will be devastating to hundreds of thousands of people, thus creating an even more vicious circle.

These cunts need to go, ASAFP.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@RoverAndOut sorry to hear about your dad. Best wishes to him and you. I had a stroke in my early twenties and a lot of that feels familiar though I was lucky with my age and the severity level. Short term memory is buggered even today though, among other symptoms I'm stuck with! I do remember vaguely atos, or the dread and atmosphere to the interviews more than the actual questions. Anyhow I'll be cheering the demise of ids come election night.

Sunak is a shithead cunt. And a Millionaire one to boot who only knows struggle when his servants are sick. I know what would help improve the nations collective mental health. A fucking election. 

• Like 6

Not sure I mentioned it before but anyway.

As some of you know, my late brother was severely head injured by a drunk driver in Spain. Usual - years and years spent fundraising, hospital care, my parents decided to care for him at home and fought for an extension to the house. He was incapable of walking, speaking or feeding himself. 

Anyhow, cut to years later, mother on carers' allowance (which got cut down the minute she received she received her miserly NHS pension) and disability allowance, they brought in PIP (this turned out to be in my brother's last year of life). They did three assessments for a man in a hospital bed with no function. Three. Think on that. We finally got notification of his eligibility shortly after he had already died - some 9 months after the assessments. Then for some reason, they insisted on repayment of some of the benefits he had already received.

Cut back to a couple of years earlier, my mother died so I gave up my very well paid job and moved home to receive 70 quid a week carers' allowance. We did have help from the Local Authority, but I was still doing around 70 hours a week feeding and observation - one pound sterling an hour remuneration. So I well recall the day there was a knock at the door and lo and behold there was a representative from the local jobcentre. Who asked if there was any way I could take up a wee job. After explaining the situation and the measly amount I was receiving, she still pressed the matter, saying that they could look into respite care. So I asked what kind of respite I would be getting if I was being sent out to work during that time. I wasn't visited again.

This is the pressure that many people on benefits already get. In many cases it isn't a lifestyle choice, it is a real public service that some of us do to actually save the NHS from crumbling into the sea and we are rewarded with all the shit Sunak & Co (and his predecessors) can dole out. 

The tax system in contrast is full of loopholes and exemptions, etched to suit the Government of the day and their cronies. And nobody talks about it.

• Like 9

I should maybe add that the key point in that doorstepping I got was when I asked the jobcentre lass the following:

"Would you work 70 hours a week for one pound an hour, including weekends?"

There are thousands of stories in the UK. Mine and Rover's stories are merely two of them. (To misquote some television series I can't bring to mind at this hour!).

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I've probably mentioned this before, but performance poet Luke Wright has written a poem about Iain Duncan Smith in which the only vowel used is i.

I went on a school trip to see Luke in 2015. He had the Karen haircut at the time. The crowd of tweens was utterly dead and he looked like he wanted to cry. I stood up and asked him three questions, because the only other questions he got were "how old are you?" and "is it true that Essex is full of chavs?"

FB_IMG_1713610458186.jpg.b6cec78119184eef6723e1625d4b4160.jpg

PMFSL well played, Matt, well played. :lol:

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, TQR said:

437891893_10225326171008618_589466197686

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 19/04/2024 at 21:07, RoverAndOut said:

In "Scandal Bingo", surely this is "HOUSE!" :lol:

Amazingly enough, Menzies’ parliamentary career hasn’t survived this.

'Pattern of behaviour that falls below the standards expected of MPs'? Erm... surely those standards must have shrunk to that level a long time ago by now? 

Dortmund apparently, which causes me to raise my eyebrows a little, but no more.

Dortmund Station.jpg

6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Uhhhhh Ok

Well they accepted Lee Anderson, so it's perfectly possible. :D

If Angela Rayner is still Labour deputy at the election Labour will not win a majority. It’s Hillary’s email mark 2.,

• Angry 1
  • Facepalm 4

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

If Angela Rayner is still Labour deputy at the election Labour will not win a majority. It’s Hillary’s email mark 2.,

Oh, with the greatest of respect, will you please fuck all the way off. The public couldn't give 2 shites if the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party didn't pay a bit of tax compared to those currently in office. But the Mail will probably get her, because she's a danger to them.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Oh, with the greatest of respect, will you please fuck all the way off. The public couldn't give 2 shites if the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party didn't pay a bit of tax compared to those currently in office. But the Mail will probably get her, because she's a danger to them.

I'm not really sure how you've not muted him yet. I did so ages ago. 

If a majority muted him, there'd be a sort of herd immunity against seeing his content either directly or in quotes. He's been told time and time again just how much of an idiot he is, and to get out more and gain perspective, but ignores it every single time. The only reasonable conclusion at this point is that he is a troll.

• Like 2

Maitlis, Newman and Guru -Murthy. Think I'll be watching CH4's coverage.  Stewart and Campbell I can take or leave, they'll be primarily there for analysis

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Maybe. My dad is obsessed with it and is always going on about it so maybe that clouds my judgement. 

No, literally everyone who I've seen outside of the news who has mentioned the Rayner 'scandal' is saying how stupid it is that this is getting all the focus when there are Conservative party members doing much worse on a daily basis and it goes ignored. The only people who care about it are the people who vote Tory. I won't be voting Labour, not because of someone slightly diddling their council tax for a small payout but because I despise Starmer and the current ideological position of the party.

In 2001 during the election campaign, Deputy Labour Leader John Prescott once punched a voter in the face. The Labour Party won the election with a majority of 167.

• Haha 4