Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

He wants the power and prestige of the office, he doesn't care about the work, he can hire people to worry about that.

Just exactly like his buddy Donny

Wow. Didn’t put her down as possible defector at all

Posted (edited)

Tory MP Natalie Elphicke has defected to Labour.

She has been MP for Dover since 2019, having taken over from her husband Charlie after his sexual misconduct charges. She sold the story of their subsequent divorce to The Sun for £25k. Her voting record is as shitty as you'd expect from a Tory and she spends her time on the coast shouting at dinghies. This looks bad for both the PM and the Labour Party equally.

At least Labour have clarified that she will not be a candidate of theirs in the upcoming General Election. I guess she's standing down, then. No great loss. 

Edited by TQR
Added clarification from Labour
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 11:49, Bibliogryphon said:

image.png.94937daaf4ac03a4a2e3a09caea6b4a1.png

Monty Panesar withdraws as Workers Party candidate...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TQR said:

Tory MP Natalie Elphicke has defected to Labour.

She has been MP for Dover since 2019, having taken over from her husband Charlie after his sexual misconduct charges. She sold the story of their subsequent divorce to The Sun for £25k. Her voting record is as shitty as you'd expect from a Tory. This'll hurt the PM and the Labour Party equally.

According to the BBC's Chris Mason, she'll be standing down at the next election. This is probably the sensible thing to do, as it limits damage to Labour, especially regarding who is the candidate for her seat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-68975761?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

According to the BBC's Chris Mason, she'll be standing down at the next election. This is probably the sensible thing to do, as it limits damage to Labour, especially regarding who is the candidate for her seat.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-68975761?src_origin=BBCS_BBC

All about Maximum humilation for Sunak. No long term damage likely in the broader sense of things

I hate defecations, especially this close to an election, in my opinion it just shows how dissimilar the parties are politically and makes the MP seem untrustworthy. I understand that MPs can grow disillusioned with their party but resigning either as an MP or the party whip is much preferable to me.

2 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I hate defecations, especially this close to an election

Like, in the voting booth?

• Haha 4

Natalie Elphicke (figuratively) defecated herself in public a couple of years ago when she voted against a Labour motion to stop fire-and-rehire practices (à la P&O) and then was surprised to be heckled when she turned up at Dover to protest against the fire-and-rehire practices of P&O.

10 minutes ago, TQR said:

Natalie Elphicke (figuratively) defecated herself in public a couple of years ago when she voted against a Labour motion to stop fire-and-rehire practices (à la P&O) and then was surprised to be heckled when she turned up at Dover to protest against the fire-and-rehire practices of P&O.

Yes, unfortunately for her that's what drew many people's attention to her.  She's certainly no catch for Labour.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, unfortunately for her that's what drew many people's attention to her.  She's certainly no catch for Labour.

This won’t happen, but the best possible move Starmer could make is removing the Labour whip from her tomorrow. That’d a) unite the Labour Party, b) win the respect of floating voters nationwide, and c) be fucking funny. 

• Like 1

Gullis has just noticed there’s a gap next to him, bless him.

IMG_9562.thumb.jpeg.b1c9455e069976933345cd677432142a.jpeg

• Haha 2

Tweet of the year:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

And we cross live to parliament where there‘s been another defecation:

IMG_9563.thumb.jpeg.cc1c87e86173288dea7b5532410fb623.jpeg

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Gullis has just noticed there’s a gap next to him, bless him.

IMG_9562.thumb.jpeg.b1c9455e069976933345cd677432142a.jpeg

Maybe he's considering joining her, after all, monkey see monkey do.

• Shocked 1

Understandably Labour (i.e. Starmer) getting plenty of stick for welcoming Elphicke (emphasis on the phicke) to the party, but has there ever been an instance of a major party telling a defector, "no, we don't want you"?

I think the issue for Labour is any time a seat goes from Tory to Labour, it further cements the narrative for the general election, so even if there was an appetite to say no, they can't lose the publicity and narrative.

From Elphicke's perspective, it is blatant opportunism. If she's reached the conclusions she says she has, her defection should have seen her back Reform not Labour. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, time said:

Understandably Labour (i.e. Starmer) getting plenty of stick for welcoming Elphicke (emphasis on the phicke) to the party, but has there ever been an instance of a major party telling a defector, "no, we don't want you"?

Probably, but it's not like either side would openly admit it. 

It's often more along the coded lines of "I'm thinking..." followed by someone else saying "If I were you I wouldn't..." all carried out in the House of Commons tea room, or so I understand having gleaned most of this from various bits of gossip heard etc. Elphicke surprised everyone so you'd imagine it was a case of an initial contact with a Tory whip, maybe even overseen in the House by Tories who never imagined she'd defect, followed by a behind closed doors meeting or phone call. 

Nadhim Zahawi, former chancellor (but then, which Tory isn't the former chancellor?) - standing down at the next election: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68982016

Sitting on a 20,000 majority in Stratford-on-Avon having scooped 60% of the votes in 2019, his seat is one of those the Lib Dems are fancying with a combi or Tory collapse and tactical voting by way of a pile on to oust them. So, we might just have had a Portillo moment there in other circumstances. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Nadhim Zahawi, former chancellor (but then, which Tory isn't the former chancellor?) - standing down at the next election: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68982016

Sitting on a 20,000 majority in Stratford-on-Avon having scooped 60% of the votes in 2019, his seat is one of those the Lib Dems are fancying with a combi or Tory collapse and tactical voting by way of a pile on to oust them. So, we might just have had a Portillo moment there in other circumstances. 

Wonder what internal polling was showing him

7 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Wonder what internal polling was showing him

Well, the internal polling must be fairly clear because even Natalie Elphicke seems able to make sense of it!