Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Nicola Sturgeon’s Indy Ref 2 was meant to happen today. Straight face deployed here.

IMG_8414.thumb.jpeg.2915c6d381625f3dc282116a3a5b2598.jpeg

16 minutes ago, TQR said:

Nicola Sturgeon’s Indy Ref 2 was meant to happen today. Straight face deployed here.

IMG_8414.thumb.jpeg.2915c6d381625f3dc282116a3a5b2598.jpeg

Given the storm cutting a swathe across much of the country, probably for the best it didn't happen.

That would be the same referendum that the Supreme Court blocked in November 2022?

You gotta keep up. Sturgeon could never have delivered on that because of that decision 11 months ago.

Polls now closed in Mid Bedfordshire (off of Dorries) and Tamworth (off of Pincher). 

I worry that Labour and Lib Dem's scrap might just keep the former blue because the petulant fuckers won't work together for the greater good.

Tamworth should be Labour's.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

That would be the same referendum that the Supreme Court blocked in November 2022?

You gotta keep up. Sturgeon could never have delivered on that because of that decision 11 months ago.

What's your point, exactly? TQR said *meant* to happen, I said it was for the best it didn't. Neither of us thought it was going to happen today.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

What's your point, exactly? TQR said *meant* to happen, I said it was for the best it didn't. Neither of us thought it was going to happen today.

Well, it's kinda old news. It's like saying, "here's what Corbyn was going to do by now if he'd won the election".

I'm not attacking either of you, just pointing out it's a bit old hat to rant about on the thread. :P

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, it's kinda old news. It's like saying, "here's what Corbyn was going to do by now if he'd won the election".

I'm not attacking either of you, just pointing out it's a bit old hat to rant about on the thread. :P

I very nearly went more for the angle of "and look where the campaign is now...in the shitter of a dodgy motorhome" to create more of an, ahem, discussion, but I decided I couldn't be bothered and instead just commemorated the date we were all told to save.

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

I very nearly went more for the angle of "and look where the campaign is now...in the shitter of a dodgy motorhome" to create more of an, ahem, discussion, but I decided I couldn't be bothered and instead just commemorated the date we were all told to save.

Did you save the date on your phone? :lol:

Soon as the Supreme Court ruled, I forgot about it, personally. Still feel they should move towards a vote on a federal system first.

It's all a bit moot until the folk have their say again. And let's face it, everybody but Sunak and his crew want a General asap.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Polls now closed in Mid Bedfordshire (off of Dorries) and Tamworth (off of Pincher). 

I worry that Labour and Lib Dem's scrap might just keep the former blue because the petulant fuckers won't work together for the greater good.

Tamworth should be Labour's.

Meh the fact that Mid Beds has turned into a marginal is still a bad night for the Tories  IMO .

Size of the swing will be just as important

Lib Dems saying Mid Beds probably Labour win due to the disaffected Tory vote coming to Lib Dems.

Labour bullish but not yet claiming victory in Tamworth.

I'll get up tomorrow and see what happens.

Labour win both Tamworth and Mid-Beds

I did see one pundit say that this result is likely to result in the GE being in January 2025

• Like 1

No governing party has ever lost a seat as safe as Tamworth before. Labour overturned a 66% majority. 

The Mid-Bedfordshire result broke the record of the largest numerical majority overturned too (24,664).

No matter how the Tories try desperately to spin this, it bodes very, very poorly for their future.

IMG_8416.thumb.jpeg.12051bd87dc624072c3e845a0eaa7d20.jpeg

• Like 2

Mid Beds had been Tory Seat since 1918 with the exception of two 2 year periods (1922-24) and (1929-31) when the Liberals held the seat

• Like 1

All this on the one year anniversary of this momentous occasion:

IMG_8418.thumb.jpeg.7e82fd93be0a96bc8342280c6e9e5dc0.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TQR said:

All this on the one year anniversary of this momentous occasion:

IMG_8418.thumb.jpeg.7e82fd93be0a96bc8342280c6e9e5dc0.jpeg

May yet see it's return

Normally I'd say that's pie in the sky but she's dumb enough to do it and they're dumb enough to possibly put her back in 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 18:41, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Sounds about right from them

Tamworth voters make Tory candidate unemployed and tell him to fuck off. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Tamworth voters make Tory candidate unemployed and tell him to fuck off. ;)

He fucked off from the hall right before the winners speech. Classy right to the end.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

May yet see it's return

Normally I'd say that's pie in the sky but she's dumb enough to do it and they're dumb enough to possibly put her back in 

I just don't see how that's possible. Even if Truss is considering making a comeback, she doesn't have the numbers. Surely they realise that the answer to "we don't like this government" isn't "we want the even worse one we had before"? I'm not sure any one will save Rishi by taking over, they're happy for him to be a dead man walking and rebuild after the election (I suppose unless they considered there wouldn't be much of Tory Party to rebuild from if it goes as badly as it might). More likely would be someone from Truss's wing of the party taking over, but I'm not sure who has the profile. Maybe Cruella? Badenoch seems to be the darling of the party at the moment, and anointed the next leader-in-waiting.

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Labour win both Tamworth and Mid-Beds

I did see one pundit say that this result is likely to result in the GE being in January 2025

Only to wreak maximum damage on the country. There is no other reason to hang on that long, and I can only hope beyond hope that the longer they leave it, the more they are punished at the polls.

• Like 1

By 2030 we will probably have Nigel Farrage as Tory leader with Laurence Fox in a prominent position as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

By 2030 we will probably have Nigel Farrage as Tory leader with Laurence Fox in a prominent position as well. 

Oh obviously. I mean, we all know how electable they are. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

This was the Tamworth’s candidate’s flowchart he loved to share:

IMG_8420.thumb.jpeg.5f32a2a3cdfbfc6d1757835868664a07.jpeg

Well, knobhead, here’s an updated one for you:

IMG_8419.thumb.jpeg.75163a0760afcaa71bd398954b23e8a9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2