Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Just now, Brad252 said:

Come the GE Reform won't be able to stand everywhere, even if they refuse any pacts. They have poor vetting for candidates and have already had to drop dozens of candidates after controversial remarks have been unearthed, including this rather interesting looking character:

0_EMB6RX.jpg

Farage's record when it comes to GE's isn't great. Would probably actually encourage people out against him

• Like 2

None of my immediate family voted Tory in these elections (despite a few of them having a (long) history with the party), so I'm really interested in seeing how things turned out in my area.

27 minutes ago, TQR said:

Those Reform cranks appear to have outperformed the Tories in Sunderland. Be interesting to see how much of the vote the Tories lose in areas where Reform didn't stand. My guess is probably still a lot.

• Like 2

The Reform candidate for Blackpool South is talking to Laura K****berg on the BBC and he sounds like one of the dimmest sentient (presumably) beings I've ever heard with fewer than four legs.

Mind you, I say that, Chris Heaton-Harris is in the studio.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Word to the wise at the BBC when it comes to the forthcoming GE: I think it is fairly established now that we are in the 21st Century, so you can knock off the "20" and call it "Election '24". Saves time.

It amazes me that so many people say "two thousand and" instead of "twenty".  You'd think they'd have moved on, at least by the second decade.

1 minute ago, TQR said:

The Reform candidate for Blackpool South is talking to Laura K****berg on the BBC and he sounds like one of the dimmest sentient (presumably) beings I've ever heard with fewer than four legs.

I was just thinking that. Certainly living in his own world if he thinks he’s got a chance of winning.

• Like 1

Just now, Toast said:

It amazes me that so many people say "two thousand and" instead of "twenty".  You'd think they'd have moved on, at least by the second decade.

Yep. I'm sure very few people described the last century as the "one thousand nine hundreds".

It's testament to Bridget Phillipson's patience that she hasn't rearranged Laura Kuenssberg's face yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't wait for the GE, not just for the obvious reasons, but also for Channel 4's coverage of it and not BBC's Kuntsberg shite.

• Like 2

In deadpooling news, 81yo Alan Howling Laud Hope of the MRLP is looking very well this evening in Blackpool South. Keep him off your lists for now.

• Like 1

Criminal that the GE wasn't held today.  More of our money wasted.

• Like 6

Greens doing well in Tyneside. Sign that the independent might win the mayoral election there and also that similar issues could cost Labour in the West Midlands and in London. 

Labour have gained Hartlepool and Thurrock councils so far and the floor managers at the BBC have had to hide all vaguely sharp objects from their two political editors.

(to the tune of Eleanor Rigby)

Jonathan Gullis

Writing a speech about banning all lefties from trains

Crayola stains

Deputy Chairman

Roaring along to the WhatsApp voice notes from his boss

Thought they were lost

All the Tory people

Where do they all come from?

All the Tory people

Where did they all go wrong?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Toast said:

I've only ever known the year to be two thousand and something, so I stuck with it until two-thousand-and-nineteen became twe'ytwe'y. It sounds stranger to my ears when older people say twenty-oh-two, or worse, twenty-zero-two.

Andrea "There's Nothing Like a Dame" Jenkyns 

Yes that'll be why they've given you such a shoeing 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Mulled over whether to bother turning out since I had a long road trip to make yesterday and there were only PCC and mayoral elections in my area, but did in the end. Polling station was predictably deserted. I figured that since turnout would be so low, my vote would probably have three times the power it would have in a general election and the mayor is still an untested role, so I may as well give them a chance. The result around here is expected to be extremely predictable so you won't see any coverage on the national news. 

Sometimes you don't need words to summarise how things have gone.

Image.jpeg.f072770bde313df1fde7f361d6e73f66.jpeg

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I've only ever known the year to be two thousand and something, so I stuck with it until two-thousand-and-nineteen became twe'ytwe'y. It sounds stranger to my ears when older people say twenty-oh-two, or worse, twenty-zero-two.

The way Paxman used to say 'twenty-oh-two' on University Challenge wound me up for some reason. Who says it like that? 

11 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

The way Paxman used to say 'twenty-oh-two' on University Challenge wound me up for some reason. Who says it like that? 

I do. A late-adopter - I was a "two-thousand-and-two"er for a long time -on the strength of Paxman saying it on UC.

Logically, "twenty-oh-two" would be the correct way to say it. Show me anyone who doesn't say "nineteen-oh-two", "eighteen-oh-two" etc. Granted, by that same logic we should have been saying "twenty-hundred" but nobody ever did (not even Paxman afaik)

• Like 1

Anyway, just read in the local paper our election results won't be announced until late on Sunday! WTAF, as the saying goes.

That Oldham result is a bad sign for the West Midlands and London mayoral.