Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Watched PMQs earlier, the first with Big Job vs King Keir. 

Starmer wasn’t necessarily full of attack but his questions were forensic and, in their own subtle way, quite devastating.

As for Johnson, well, Jenni Wren off of Grauniad comments says it best:

3CFBCD41-E14B-4287-88E7-412038574DC0.thumb.jpeg.9c4e2780dcb6362794e1f70347fc8b80.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Who is the least competent prominent person in the cabinet right now? Johnson? Raab? Patel? Hancock? Someone else? 

It's like some kind of competition of who can out-idiot the others right now. 

On 07/05/2020 at 11:37, paddyfool said:

Who is the least competent prominent person in the cabinet right now? Johnson? Raab? Patel? Hancock? Someone else? 

It's like some kind of competition of who can out-idiot the others right now. 

Definitely not Rishi Sunak. The furlough scheme has been extended to October, can apply to people returning part-time and will have a graduated phase-out.

His huge economic measures have saved millions of jobs and businesses. Yes, it’s not perfect (the self-employed should have more support available, that’s where he falls short) and yes it’ll cost a lot, but with a sustained and supported workforce we can recover.

In amongst all the Hancocks, Johnsons, Raabs, Patels and Jenricks of our cunty cabinet, it’s refreshing to see a Tory actually doing some commendable work.

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Definitely not Rishi Sunak. The furlough scheme has been extended to October, can apply to people returning part-time and will have a graduated phase-out.

His huge economic measures have saved millions of jobs and businesses. Yes, it’s not perfect (the self-employed should have more support available, that’s where he falls short) and yes it’ll cost a lot, but with a sustained and supported workforce we can recover.

In amongst all the Hancocks, Johnsons, Raabs, Patels and Jenricks of our cunty cabinet, it’s refreshing to see a Tory actually doing some commendable work.

Agree - his star is ascending.

What is going to become a problem over next few weeks is that as the rules are relaxed and the weather gets warmer the idea of being furloughed on 80% of your pay and playing golf every day or walking in the Lakes or whatever becomes very favourable against going to work every day for 100% of your pay.

This issue has been minimised over the last month or two because being at home is worse than being at work but as the scales swing it will be interesting to see what resentment arises.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

What is going to become a problem over next few weeks is that as the rules are relaxed and the weather gets warmer the idea of being furloughed on 80% of your pay and playing golf every day or walking in the Lakes or whatever becomes very favourable against going to work every day for 100% of your pay.

This issue has been minimised over the last month or two because being at home is worse than being at work but as the scales swing it will be interesting to see what resentment arises.

Very true. It’ll all be about getting employers to wean their workforce away from piss-taking golf days and daytime drinking.

Either way, it’s like Sunak is working as an absolutely separate entity to the rest of the government. Good.

42 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I thought the idea was if your business re-opened then unless you're in a shielding category furlough gets withdrawn? 

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I thought the idea was if your business re-opened then unless you're in a shielding category furlough gets withdrawn? 

The business I work for has about 20% of the employees furloughed.

About 50% of the business is working normally with the other 50% badly affected as it relies upon global travel. 

I would say the split of the 20% was about 10% shielding category (in which case your unsaid point that they shouldn't be outside anyway is good) and 10% are simply furloughed because they are unable to do their job whilst working from home or there is no work for them to do until they are able to travel again. 

The 50% of the business that can't travel is running out of things to do so I would say the position for them is worse now than it was back in March and the 14 day quarantine periods aren't going to help once they can travel so that 10% is going to rise next month.

My daughter who works for a car dealership is doing 6 people's jobs - they are all furloughed on 80% pay - she is working from home on 100% pay. Her boss is being super nice to her because they're taking the piss.

Anyway in summary no you are mistaken - furloughing applies to all businesses in UK whether closed or struggling on as best they can.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

The business I work for has about 20% of the employees furloughed.

About 50% of the business is working normally with the other 50% badly affected as it relies upon global travel. 

I would say the split of the 20% was about 10% shielding category (in which case your unsaid point that they shouldn't be outside anyway is good) and 10% are simply furloughed because they are unable to do their job whilst working from home or there is no work for them to do until they are able to travel again. 

The 50% of the business that can't travel is running out of things to do so I would say the position for them is worse now than it was back in March and the 14 day quarantine periods aren't going to help once they can travel so that 10% is going to rise next month.

My daughter who works for a car dealership is doing 6 people's jobs - they are all furloughed on 80% pay - she is working from home on 100% pay. Her boss is being super nice to her because they're taking the piss.

Anyway in summary no you are mistaken - furloughing applies to all businesses in UK whether closed or struggling on as best they can.

I think you've completely misinterpreted my point. I was more getting at the fact the furlough scheme is a cover for those who can't work, not for those who simply fancy a few months off i.e if you work for a business that can operate in a position that can operate then the furlough scheme shouldn't apply to you - there's seems to be a fair few businesses who've been shut the past few weeks but have know been told to go back to work; those businesses will only get furlough for shielding employees once the venues (construction sites etc) are re-opened, surely? 

That car dealership is exactly an example of the kind of thing I think HMRC are going to start taking a tougher stance on as they wind this up over the next few months.... technically at least another couple of those car dealership employees could also be working from home alongside here. And them doing so would save the tax payer up to £7,500 (for 3 more staff) a month, multiply that across hundreds of thousands of businesses.... 

• Like 1

To the people who, and I understand why they think it, say 'now is not the time to be getting political and bashing the government'. I would love to agree, but just this week:

• A government minister (Nadine Dorries) promoted far-right lies (a clip featuring Keir Starmer, doctored by a far-right group) and went completely unpunished.
  • The PM and the Health Secretary both lied about care homes.
  • The PM was proven to have lied about customs checks in N. Ireland.
  • Teachers were maligned.
  • The Home Secretary reviewed the NHS surcharge paid by international healthcare staff and decided that the charge should increase, despite their invaluable, lifesaving work.
  • The virus containment policy became completely equivocal.
  • This golden 'R' number went up and is nearly at 1 again.

What? Are we supposed to just brush all this off? Our government is absolutely vile.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

To the people who, and I understand why they think it, say 'now is not the time to be getting political and bashing the government'. I would love to agree, but just this week:

• A government minister (Nadine Dorries) promoted far-right lies (a clip featuring Keir Starmer, doctored by a far-right group) and went completely unpunished.
  • The Home Secretary reviewed the NHS surcharge paid by international healthcare staff and decided that the charge should increase, despite their invaluable, lifesaving work.

What? Are we supposed to just brush all this off? Our government is absolutely vile.

You can add the government threatening to freeze public sector pay for two years..... the very public sector who've got us through the pandemic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Tories are cunts?

Welcome to the real world. The debt at the interim break of this will be astronomical. Flushed the people and the economy down the toilet the moment the PM stayed on holiday during the worldwide spread of a virus.

Nearing 35,000 dead, mostly from poor and ethnic minority groups. Tory PM's haven't orgasmed as much since WWII.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I have to agree with you, they are shite.

Too many lies, too many wrong decisions, too much bullshit.

Can we count on them in a crisis?

Fucking hell, no.

I have always said that the inquests should be carried out after this shit is all over but, in all fairness, we are all having to live with this utter bullshit of mixed messages, u turns and a complete lack of action early on when it was pretty clear we needed to act and act fast.

As it is, I get no furlough and no help as a self employed person because I became self employed last June.

I am earning, pretty much fuck all but we are surviving.

Thanks to the hospitals stance that Lady FN did not need full PPE, she got the virus and gave it to me.

She now has full PPE FFS!! Bit late now.

Maybe, just maybe, swifter action would have lessened the impact considerably. Actually, it fucking would have, wouldn't it.

What I won't take up the harris though are diatribes from certain cunts on here, whose only question, when the Tories got in, was 'will it affect me benefits?

They need to shut the fuck up, they are the precious few, along with essential workers and those that are still able to work who are less affected by this cluster fuck of a crisis than millions of us who can't work and can't, technically, go anywhere apart from the park etc.

Mind you, we can now travel as far as we want so, maybe, Norfolk to Dartmoor may be a nice run out.....:rolleyes:

When this is over, if it ever is truly over, let us see how fucking useless they are at running the country.

Scary really, I have no confidence in any Political party to govern, we may all be fucked.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Scary really, I have no confidence in any Political party to govern, we may all be fucked.

Nail, head.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Tories are cunts?

Welcome to the real world. The debt at the interim break of this will be astronomical. Flushed the people and the economy down the toilet the moment the PM stayed on holiday during the worldwide spread of a virus.

Nearing 35,000 dead, mostly from poor and ethnic minority groups. Tory PM's haven't orgasmed as much since WWII.

But hang on a minute, this isn’t just “All Tories are cunts”, it’s more “Johnson and his cabinet of cunts are cunts acting cuntishly”. 

I’m pretty confident that a Starmer govt would’ve handled this better, not that this’ll ever be proved, and I’m also sure as hell he’d make a much better PM, something that I can only hope will ever be proved. Thing is, no matter who lead this country through this pandemic would then have a heck of a lot of debt to face up to afterwards. This is a worldwide problem. Let’s not spit at all Tories because we’ll all have to work hard to get our economy back on track. Let’s spit at Johnson, Patel, Gove, Jenrick, Raab, Sharma, Hancock, Williamson, Dorries and whoever I’ve missed out because their appalling handling of a crisis we were fairly late to the party with has killed thousands of people and left some people without the support they need/deserve.

45 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I have to agree with you, they are shite.

Too many lies, too many wrong decisions, too much bullshit.

Can we count on them in a crisis?

Fucking hell, no.

I have always said that the inquests should be carried out after this shit is all over but, in all fairness, we are all having to live with this utter bullshit of mixed messages, u turns and a complete lack of action early on when it was pretty clear we needed to act and act fast.

As it is, I get no furlough and no help as a self employed person because I became self employed last June.

I am earning, pretty much fuck all but we are surviving.

Thanks to the hospitals stance that Lady FN did not need full PPE, she got the virus and gave it to me.

She now has full PPE FFS!! Bit late now.

Maybe, just maybe, swifter action would have lessened the impact considerably. Actually, it fucking would have, wouldn't it.

What I won't take up the harris though are diatribes from certain cunts on here, whose only question, when the Tories got in, was 'will it affect me benefits?

They need to shut the fuck up, they are the precious few, along with essential workers and those that are still able to work who are less affected by this cluster fuck of a crisis than millions of us who can't work and can't, technically, go anywhere apart from the park etc.

Mind you, we can now travel as far as we want so, maybe, Norfolk to Dartmoor may be a nice run out.....:rolleyes:

When this is over, if it ever is truly over, let us see how fucking useless they are at running the country.

I agree that they acted far, far too late. Also agree that, despite some safeguarding the chancellor is getting praise for, the needs of the self-employed have rather been ignored - I’m seeing it with people in my factory, they are having to work themselves to the brink of collapse right now to pay for all the time they couldn’t. 

Our govt’s collective cavalier attitudes towards the virus have endangered or killed a monstrous amount of people. And the fact that, despite there being only 1 out of another 195 world leaders that has been worse than ours, we have to sit through another 4 years or so of what I can only expect to be a continued clusterfuck is sickening and frankly quite frightening. A lot of these recent fuck ups aren’t even virus related, it’s just the attitudes of an absolutely virulent bunch of politicians. It’s not because they’re Tories, it’s because they’re pricks.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

But hang on a minute, this isn’t just “All Tories are cunts”, it’s more “Johnson and his cabinet of cunts are cunts acting cuntishly”. 

I’m pretty confident that a Starmer govt would’ve handled this better, not that this’ll ever be proved, and I’m also sure as hell he’d make a much better PM, something that I can only hope will ever be proved. Thing is, no matter who lead this country through this pandemic would then have a heck of a lot of debt to face up to afterwards. This is a worldwide problem. Let’s not spit at all Tories because we’ll all have to work hard to get our economy back on track. Let’s spit at Johnson, Patel, Gove, Jenrick, Raab, Sharma, Hancock, Dorries and whoever I’ve missed out because their appalling handling of a crisis we were fairly late to the party with has killed thousands of people and left some people without the support they need/deserve.

Steady on, if you actually manage to reason with him that 'not all Tories are cunts' it will cut his future post count dramatically..

Oh, wait, reason away fella! :)

15 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Steady on, if you actually manage to reason with him that 'not all Tories are cunts' it will cut his future post count dramatically..

:lol:

I mean I’d normally agree but what we need to get past is the statement that they’re cunts because they’re Tories. That’s not the reason they’re cunts; there’s a myriad of failings to point out before resorting to that unreasonable precept. And I’m deliberately not discussing unemployment as I don’t have time for the repercussions :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You know people are allowed different political opinions to you, right?

42 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

You know people are allowed different political opinions to you, right?

Very much so but when it becomes utterly incessant tirades it gets banal.

Everything in moderation.:D

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Very much so but when it becomes utterly incessant tirades it gets banal.

Everything in moderation.:D

I've never noticed YoungWillz say much more than most of us are thinking to be honest.

There's worse culprits on here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I've never noticed YoungWillz say much more than most of us are thinking to be honest.

There's worse culprits on here. 

There are but not many.

15 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

I think we disagree....

It would be massively boring if everybody agreed with everything.:D

6 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It would be massively boring if everybody agreed with everything.:D

Indeed it would it.

It would be more exciting with less embittered old UKIP supporters. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Indeed it would it.

It would be more exciting with less embittered old UKIP supporters. 

Now, now, don't let the mask fall!!:lol:

• Haha 2