Sign in to follow this  
RadGuy

Biggest Death Of 2014

So far, I think Saudi King Abdullah was the Deathlist's biggest miss.

In such a backwards country, 90 is a very old age. The average male life expectancy is 73.

It was also well known that he had some health problems.

• Like 1

Anne Kirkbride

King Abdullah

Edgar Froess

Yes to King Abdullah. I mean, I was sure he would be my first hit, and so he was (only two weeks too late for my taste). Edgar Froese's death came as a surprise to his family so it's not really a miss. I understand why the deathlist didn't include Little Jimmy Dickens, because he wasn't very interesting, nor very british, but maybe Leon Brittan could have been on there.

In such a backwards country, 90 is a very old age. The average male life expectancy is 73.

In what way is the extremely rich nation of Saudi Arabia "backwards?

Even though their are about 20 ddp hits already I would say only Abdullah and Anita Ekberg could be considered significant misses of those with known ill health. And in the later case Ekberg was only picked by a theme team so really every single person out of hundreds missed on that.

The medical industry isn't very good there. But on the other hand, you're right, with all that oil money Abdullah could have definitely been taken care of well.

The medical industry isn't very good there. But on the other hand, you're right, with all that oil money Abdullah could have definitely been taken care of well.

I agree that King Abdullah was a glaring omission (I even thought that when I first saw the list), but the quality of the medical industry is NOT relevant for royals.

For at least the last few decades, serious surgeries on Saudi royals are performed abroad, since Saudi Arabia is a loyal US ally, they are often treated in rich Western countries. But not even the most developed healthcare system can prolong the life of a sick nonagenarian indefinitely.

But not even the most developed healthcare system can prolong the life of a sick nonagenarian indefinitely.

Tell that to Zsa Zsa.

• Like 9

King Abdullah was on my short list for my DP, but we have 5 categories you must supply two names each, so that leaves only 10 wild cards so to speak, yet he almost made my list of TWENTY. How the hell they didn't put him on a list of FIFTY with NO limitations as to category etc, is beyond me. It's a gigantic miss. Granted, I got lambasted for saying the list was shite.
Sir C.

Looking at my names, I'm not sure how the BBC decides who in America is obit worthy, but Grace Lee Boggs is an author and human rights activist who turns 100 on my birthday this year, and her caretakers posted on her page to say prayers and she posted she's at end of life waiting to take next journey. It's tenuous but the BBC could well obit her. So that will be a big miss too.
She lives in Detroit, I'm going to be up there next weekend for my mother's memorial ceremony....was thinking of stopping by and getting my photograph with Grace Lee Boggs and posting here. Is that sick and wrong? how many opportunities do we have to get a photo with someone on our DP list?
Also, and yes I know this site's history, but anyone sent home from federal prison to die simply goes on the list no iffs and buts (Lynne Stewart) at least you have a defensible argument, no one will fault you for including her. As opposed to Doris Day who has zero health issues and is simply in her 90s. Someone sent home to die, or someone who is in their 90s? This isn't a question, it's a condemnation.
Sir C.

Also, and yes I know this site's history, but anyone sent home from federal prison to die simply goes on the list no iffs and buts (Lynne Stewart) at least you have a defensible argument, no one will fault you for including her. As opposed to Doris Day who has zero health issues and is simply in her 90s. Someone sent home to die, or someone who is in their 90s? This isn't a question, it's a condemnation.

Ever heard of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi?

• Like 1

Looking at my names, I'm not sure how the BBC decides who in America is obit worthy, but Grace Lee Boggs is an author and human rights activist who turns 100 on my birthday this year, and her caretakers posted on her page to say prayers and she posted she's at end of life waiting to take next journey. It's tenuous but the BBC could well obit her. So that will be a big miss too.

She lives in Detroit, I'm going to be up there next weekend for my mother's memorial ceremony....was thinking of stopping by and getting my photograph with Grace Lee Boggs and posting here. Is that sick and wrong? how many opportunities do we have to get a photo with someone on our DP list?

Sir C.

Two teams - including that of runaway leader Death Impends - have Boggs roped into Deathrace action, where the qualifying obit need only be some decent local coverage in English. And, if she's so ill how are you going to get that photo? Like, sneak in a do a selfie when her carers backs are turned?

• Like 1

Sir C.

Two teams - including that of runaway leader Death Impends - have Boggs roped into Deathrace action, where the qualifying obit need only be some decent local coverage in English. And, if she's so ill how are you going to get that photo? Like, sneak in a do a selfie when her carers backs are turned?

That in English requirement is far too strict.

Sir C.

That in English requirement is far too strict.

That might rule out quite a few American publications

Mary Tyler Moore, Muhammad Ali and Pope Benedict XVI will also be big misses if they die this year.

Mary Tyler Moore, Muhammad Ali and Pope Benedict XVI will also be big misses if they die this year.

The fact that you needed to add "if they die this year" puts your assertion on shaky ground.

• Like 4

The fact that you needed to add "if they die this year" puts your assertion on shaky ground.

Look well if all three die in separate earthquakes...

• Like 1

Hey, you can never be sure with these things.

Zsa Zsa Gabor has been an obvious pick for the past 10 years and she's still *kind of* alive.

Surely this thread should be retrospective only. It seems rather dumb to list a lot of people as the big misses of the year IF they die - the list COULD be endless.......!

• Like 3

Surely this thread should be retrospective only. It seems rather dumb to list a lot of people as the big misses of the year IF they die - the list COULD be endless.......!

Seeing as the endless list is only 7 billion people, if we really really tried, we could name a million people who could die this year...

Then again, let's not.

As we close out July, the death of F1 racer Jules Bianchi brings the number of audaciously poor misses to three (IMHO); King Abdullah, Terry Pratchett; and Bianchi. All 3 were know to have medical issues on Dec 31, 2014, so no 20-20 hindsight necessary.

Of the three Bianchi seems the worst 'bust' by the Committee. He drove into a crane. He was never going to come back to normalcy, or even get off machines. It was beyond fucking obvious. But alas, the Committee takes pride in lining up as many 95+ year olds cuz that takes talent. The only possible chance Bianchi would see 2016 was his parents not pulling the plug. Even in non-euthanasia France, the likelihood of that was wafer thin.

Way to swing and miss, Committee.

SirC (Bianchi choice 3/3 teams)

As we close out July, the death of F1 racer Jules Bianchi brings the number of audaciously poor misses to three (IMHO); King Abdullah, Terry Pratchett; and Bianchi. All 3 were know to have medical issues on Dec 31, 2014, so no 20-20 hindsight necessary.

Of the three Bianchi seems the worst 'bust' by the Committee. He drove into a crane. He was never going to come back to normalcy, or even get off machines. It was beyond fucking obvious. But alas, the Committee takes pride in lining up as many 95+ year olds cuz that takes talent. The only possible chance Bianchi would see 2016 was his parents not pulling the plug. Even in non-euthanasia France, the likelihood of that was wafer thin.

Way to swing and miss, Committee.

SirC (Bianchi choice 3/3 teams)

oh shut up racers could be in coma's for years before they die

Guest Guest

Terry Pratchett and Sir Nicholas Winton are the two most obvious ones for me

• Like 1

Terry Pratchett and Sir Nicholas Winton are the two most obvious ones for me

Dito on that.