YoungWillz

That Portillo Moment

6 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Judging from the reaction she got you may get a hit here

The Tories are getting better laughs than most top comedians at the moment. Looks like they're sorted for a career after July 4th! :lol:

One of the North West news/politics shows mentioned last week that Labour was looking promising in Tatton and I didn't believe my ears. The former heartland of Neil Hamilton and Gideon Osborne? It was only thanks to Labour and the Lib Dems standing aside that Martin Bell took it in 97. But McVey would be another delicious scalp. Partly for obvious reasons, but also because she was parachuted into this supposedly ultra-safe seat after she lost her last one in 2015. :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

The Tories are getting better laughs than most top comedians at the moment. Looks like they're sorted for a career after July 4th! :lol:

One of the North West news/politics shows mentioned last week that Labour was looking promising in Tatton and I didn't believe my ears. The former heartland of Neil Hamilton and Gideon Osborne? It was only thanks to Labour and the Lib Dems standing aside that Martin Bell took it in 97. But McVey would be another delicious scalp. Partly for obvious reasons, but also because she was parachuted into this supposedly ultra-safe seat after she lost her last one in 2015. :D

I've a tune for McVey.

Baby, losing some votes

Real quick

Dispense with the Blues

True Tory Blues

Baby, change your address,

Yes, Yes, Yes.

You can leave your Tatton

You can leave your Tatton

You can leave your Tatton.

:lol:

• Haha 2

From the electoral calculus, a look at the state of things in South West Norfolk:

IMG_9688.thumb.jpeg.bd3300dcf4249d82fe84766f79be3cb8.jpeg

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, TQR said:

From the electoral calculus, a look at the state of things in South West Norfolk:

Christ the way things are going the BBC Review of all the big moments will take 30 mins :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TQR said:

God, I'd love to see it, but I don't dare hope. She'll be back, I fear. Although why anyone would want her as their MP I cannot fathom.

• Like 1

I'll take two big 'uns and a personal vendetta, please:

Liz Truss (Norfolk South West)

Rishi Sunak (Richmond and Northallerton)

David TC Davies (Monmouth/shire) 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2024 at 20:16, RoverAndOut said:

God, I'd love to see it, but I don't dare hope. She'll be back, I fear. Although why anyone would want her as their MP I cannot fathom.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/liz-truss-campaigning-harder-than-ever-to-keep-seat
Interesting article about Truss’s local campaign. 

• Like 1

Email from https://tactical.vote/

I've got my finger hovering over the button. We're printing thousands of tactical voting leaflets to be delivered in Jacob Rees-Mogg’s constituency, North East Somerset.

The question is: how many should we get? Your donation will decide.
I'll fund leaflets to get Rees-Mogg out
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
This is our top tactical voting target constituency. We believe Rees-Mogg will be the 2024 version of the 1997 "Portillo moment", when he spectacularly lost his seat. But it could be close.

We have identified postcodes in the constituency where we believe people will be most receptive to the tactical voting message. We have the leaflet ready to go and a team ready to deliver it.

The rest is up to you. How many should we deliver?
Donate £10 to deliver 100 leaflets
Donate £20 to deliver 200 leaflets
Donate £50 to deliver 500 leaflets
Play your part in Rees-Mogg’s defeat. Send some leaflets to Somerset today!
  • Like 1

There is something to be said for social media algorithms just spamming you with stuff your mates are enjoying

417460080_10160622142919272_341451722951

• Haha 3

It's an amusing photo montage. Sadly none of those jerk-offs need a 12.50 an hour job (more's the pity).

44 minutes ago, En Passant said:

It's an amusing photo montage. Sadly none of those jerk-offs need a 12.50 an hour job (more's the pity).

This is what I'm thinking too. All this joy people are looking forward to in JRM's demise - he'll just go back to his hedge fund and pontificate on GB News. Sunak will bugger off to Silicon Valley, Truss will join some looney right-wing think tank and so on...

• Like 1

Anyone else want to enter the game?

This is your "there's a fortnight to go" warning.

Also, this should be like shooting fish in a barrel. :lol:

• Like 1

I will enter before the day, but am I wrong in thinking the focus of this is wrong? The biggest margin of defeat? That'll be someone like Alex Chalk with a razor thin majority. But his demise isn't a shock. Surely the game should be the biggest majority overturned? :scratchhead:

20 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I will enter before the day, but am I wrong in thinking the focus of this is wrong? The biggest margin of defeat? That'll be someone like Alex Chalk with a razor thin majority. But his demise isn't a shock. Surely the game should be the biggest majority overturned? :scratchhead:

Yeah, well, that's not how I started it. 

As I say, enjoy all the side hustles of which the game is actually a side hustle. All a bit of fun, and a damn long night for me.

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

and a damn long night for me.

Long night? Pah! I'll be partying* all the way through until Saturday morning I reckon!

*On my jack. OH is in NY that week so I can howl with laughter at events unfolding and pop open the fizz without bothering anyone

• Like 1

On 08/06/2024 at 10:47, YoungWillz said:

We're open for suggestions.

Pick 1, 2 or 3 sitting MPs who are standing for re-election, in the hope that they will lose by the largest margin (winner of seat votes as against your pick votes). Also enjoy the tears, the fake smiles, the shock and awe of results night, and even those who lose by a whisker as a side show. You can pick someone who has been picked by someone else. I'll do a list. Entries close at 7 am BST on 4th July.

I'll have a go at Rob Roberts (Clwyd East), Lee Anderson (Ashfield) and Bim Afolami (Hitchen). 

Johnny Mercer (Plymouth Moor View)

Jacob Rees Mogg (North East Somerset and Hanaham)

Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North)

• Like 1

Noticed a familiar face lurking behind Sunak a few days back and just Googled a few facts today. Less than two years ago she was deputy PM and before that (perhaps more improbably) secretary of state for health. Anyway, and apologies if someone's already considered this Portillo moment possibility. A sitting duck in Suffolk Coastal for tactical voting because the gap between second placed Labour and third placed Lib Dems is massive. Ms Coffey took 56.1% of the vote when Corbyn led Labour and there was no Reform candidate.  I'm assuming the photo is her best impression of Ken Clarke.

305610228_10158299328865981_791558675950

On 20/06/2024 at 14:52, YoungWillz said:

Anyone else want to enter the game?

This is your "there's a fortnight to go" warning.

Also, this should be like shooting fish in a barrel. :lol:

Mel Stride (Devon)

Karl Mccartney (Lincoln)

James WIld (North West Norfolk)

• Like 1

Steve Baker (Wycombe)

Jonathan Gullis (Stoke-on-Trent North)

Chris Philp (Croydon South)

• Like 2

On 08/06/2024 at 10:47, YoungWillz said:

We're open for suggestions.

Pick 1, 2 or 3 sitting MPs who are standing for re-election, in the hope that they will lose by the largest margin (winner of seat votes as against your pick votes). Also enjoy the tears, the fake smiles, the shock and awe of results night, and even those who lose by a whisker as a side show. You can pick someone who has been picked by someone else. I'll do a list. Entries close at 7 am BST on 4th July.

I'll have a go at Rob Roberts (Clwyd East), Lee Anderson (Ashfield) and Bim Afolami (Hitchen). 

Is it OK if I use my own MP and trust in the number of Labour signs I'm seeing all over the place?

Mark Fletcher (Bolsover)

Ben Bradley (Mansfield)

Nigel Mills (Amber Valley) - the 'Candy Crush' MP from back in those distant innocent days when playing on your phone in committee meetings was considered a scandal. 

A real Red Wall Tory slaughter fest. 

• Like 1

Form studying where Jezza's concerned

449026250_10161798101094414_780276619949

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Form studying where Jezza's concerned

449026250_10161798101094414_780276619949

This would be quite enjoyable 

One week to go if you want to enter the side game.

Personally I did not know that Philip Davies (8,000 quid down the bookies on himself to lose his seat) is married to Esther McVey (minister for seemingly nothing). Their respective constituencies are hardly adjacent, how does that work? Do they each have homes in those places? Will they be spending more time with each other post-election? Is the prospect of both of them losing their seats enticing?

I'm simply way too peak excitement for the election I guess.

• Like 1

Bim Afolami (Hitchen).

Liz Truss (South West Norfolk)

Esther McVey (Tatton)

• Like 1

Okay then: 

Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North)*

Brendan Clark-Smith (Bassetlaw)

Lee Anderson (Ashfield)* 

*Re-standing albeit for a different party/as an independent in the same constituency - I'm assuming that's legit

• Like 2