Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

Another by-election miss for the game.

In 2020 you are getting 50 picks each and at least 5 of them must be newly elected MPs.

These have all been red. The maths won't change until we get some blue ones.

Or Dennis Skinner goes. :(

The 97 election seemed to wipe out most of the old Tories. They're nearly all of the Harry Enfield Tory Boy type now, so less likely to need a by-election.

• Like 2

Or Dennis Skinner goes. :(

The 97 election seemed to wipe out most of the old Tories. They're nearly all of the Harry Enfield Tory Boy type now, so less likely to need a by-election.

I was referring to the parliamentary maths for game purposes I am colour-blind

Watching a bit of the Syria air strikes debate, there has been alot of mention of the absence of the 'Honourable Member for Ilford South'. A quick Google search reveals that 63 year old Mike Gapes has been rushed to hospital suffering from those classic 'chest pains'. Looks like he's recovering after surgery but one to watch. Annoyingly, I know he was on my longlist but did not make it to my shortlist. I believe should he stand down or die he would be a unique pick for a very smug Voice of Young Maryport. http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/crime-court/ilford_south_mp_mike_gapes_in_hospital_following_emergency_surgery_1_4330563

As for Shapps, he's on my list so I'd like to see him fall on his sword, although I would also like to point out that Maryport putting him in as a late replacement prevents me getting some very valuable unique pick points if it happens. Grrrr....

FAO Maryport

The Voice of YMP might be on for a good one here, long term. Mike Gapes had a heart attack, and was only released from hospital last week, 2 months on.

Shit, he's lording it over me already without this encouraging boost.

This ain't a sprint, ain't a marathon but it's an ultra-marathon, right.

Further on Mike Gapes. He survived a thoracic aneurysm rupture! He's a very lucky boy then.

Says he's "bionic". Time will tell on that one.

No idea what bearing if any (I presume none) it has on our little game.

Labour has suspended MP Naz Shah over comments she made about Israel.

SC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36148704

None at this moment in time, all it means is she's currently sitting as an Independent rather than a Labour MP. But it may lead to her being forced to quit Parliament, which would trigger a by-election. She's been very contrite about it all though, and it has been dug up from before she was an MP. MPs have done and said far worse than this and survived, at least until the end of the Parliament. I'd be surprised if we get a by-election out of this one, which suits me fine as I don't have her. :D

• Like 1

A by-election could well see the much welcomed return of beloved national treasure Gorgeous George Galloway to parliament.

No idea what bearing if any (I presume none) it has on our little game.

Labour has suspended MP Naz Shah over comments she made about Israel.

SC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36148704

None at this moment in time, all it means is she's currently sitting as an Independent rather than a Labour MP. But it may lead to her being forced to quit Parliament, which would trigger a by-election. She's been very contrite about it all though, and it has been dug up from before she was an MP. MPs have done and said far worse than this and survived, at least until the end of the Parliament. I'd be surprised if we get a by-election out of this one, which suits me fine as I don't have her. :D

Nobody does. I suddenly lost interest in the whole story.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has Sadiq Khan on their lists, but there could be change within the Labour camp if the predictions are correct and he's elected London Mayor.

Not sure if anyone has Sadiq Khan on their lists, but there could be change within the Labour camp if the predictions are correct and he's elected London Mayor.

Likewise Zac Goldsmith, the Conservative candidate who is MP for Richmond Park. Sadiq Khan is MP for Tooting. While Boris has done the last year of his mayorship while also being an MP, I can't see either of them doing the same thing until 2020 so a by-election is virtually guaranteed.

There is vested interest in the outcome, by my calculations 3 people (Rockhopper, The Engineer, VoYM) have Khan, while no less than 8 people (Deathray, Handrejka, msc, time, Maryport, Dead Cow, Manuel and myself) have Goldsmith. Not sure why there is such a difference, maybe because after the 2015 general election Goldsmith was the only serious challenger for the Conservative nomination for mayor while Labour had Tessa Jowell, Sadiq Khan and David Lammy to name but three..?

Will the Voice of Young Maryport come out on top in the Maryport household once again?

Likewise Zac Goldsmith, the Conservative candidate who is MP for Richmond Park. Sadiq Khan is MP for Tooting. While Boris has done the last year of his mayorship while also being an MP, I can't see either of them doing the same thing until 2020 so a by-election is virtually guaranteed.

There is vested interest in the outcome, by my calculations 3 people (Rockhopper, The Engineer, VoYM) have Khan, while no less than 8 people (Deathray, Handrejka, msc, time, Maryport, Dead Cow, Manuel and myself) have Goldsmith. Not sure why there is such a difference, maybe because after the 2015 general election Goldsmith was the only serious challenger for the Conservative nomination for mayor while Labour had Tessa Jowell, Sadiq Khan and David Lammy to name but three..?

Will the Voice of Young Maryport come out on top in the Maryport household once again?

I had forgotten about the forthcoming Mayoral election when I compiled my list, and mailed in my vote last week.

I can't see Goldsmith winning.

Goldsmith really, really does not want to be campaigning for mayor now he realises he's going to lose does he?

Goldsmith pledged to stand down if elected mayor.

Both are selections but it is less points for a resignation than a death.

Fewer.

• Like 4

Well fingers crossed the winner drops dead between now and his inauguration! :D

A by-election that appears to have passed us by occurred tonight, not that it matters one jot as nobody had him.

Huw Irranca-Davies (Labour, Ogmore) has taken the unusual step of standing down from Westminster in order to stand as a Member of the Welsh Assembly. He was succeeded by Chris Elmore, a local councillor who won with 52% of the vote. No word yet on whether Mr Irranca-Davies succeeded in his move, but I'm guessing he probably will.

In the expected by-election in Sheffield Brightside, Harry Harpham's widow, Gill Furniss has won his seat by a comfortable margin, thus meaning Labour held the seat. Hadn't realised that Harpham had been in the job less than a year, having succeeded David Blunkett at the last general election. He had staying power.

Back up to the full complement for the time being, I'm guessing Tooting will be our next port of call...

• Like 1

I can't even remember who I had on my list. :lol:

This one too needs to be kicked over the fence to Deadpool forum.

• Like 1

A by-election that appears to have passed us by occurred tonight, not that it matters one jot as nobody had him.

Huw Irranca-Davies (Labour, Ogmore) has taken the unusual step of standing down from Westminster in order to stand as a Member of the Welsh Assembly. He was succeeded by Chris Elmore, a local councillor who won with 52% of the vote. No word yet on whether Mr Irranca-Davies succeeded in his move, but I'm guessing he probably will.

In the expected by-election in Sheffield Brightside, Harry Harpham's widow, Gill Furniss has won his seat by a comfortable margin, thus meaning Labour held the seat. Hadn't realised that Harpham had been in the job less than a year, having succeeded David Blunkett at the last general election. He had staying power.

Back up to the full complement for the time being, I'm guessing Tooting will be our next port of call...

I was aware of the Ogmore by-election but as it didn't impact the game I didn't mention it.

No result yet from London?

I was aware of the Ogmore by-election but as it didn't impact the game I didn't mention it.

No result yet from London?

As if you denied us the drama of the Ogmore by-election!

Nothing definitive from London yet, but they've nearly finished counting first preference votes and Khan's apparently got a sizeable lead.

• Like 1

44.5 Khan, 34.9 Goldsmith so far according to the Beeb. If it needs second preferences (American cousins, suggest you try Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_mayoral_election,_2016)the greens have 5.8 and Lib Dems 4.3 out of whcih Khan should pick up the 6.5 he'd need. Then hopefully he resigns as an MP and I get another score on the Bingo.

• Like 1

Most media outlets are now calling it for Khan. I also picked up something Boris Johnson holding Bristol but I may have misheard that.

• Like 2

Most media outlets are now calling it for Khan. I also picked up something Boris Johnson holding Bristol but I may have misheard that.

Is that holding Bristol or holding a pair of Bristols?